Azamara's shore excursions for Valletta, Cagliari

SunnyNy

Several posters have recently mentioned enjoying their ship -sponsored excursions in Valletta.  Could some of you share which ones they were.  I'll be visiting there for the first time this Fall.  I'd  also appreciate similar advice for Cagliari.

I had been to Valletta before and seen the Cathedral etc so on Pursuit recently I booked the half day tour of the island.

It was good value with an excellent guide who was informative, but not over the top with bombarding you with information, as some are. We drove through Valletta to the small, pretty fishing village of Marsaxlokk and had an hour there to wander. We then did a tour of the island but didn’t get off the coach. We passed Mdina, the silent city and it looked very interesting. Next time I am in Malta I will go there. We then had a thirty minute stop at the beautiful St Mary’s Church in Mosta and then went to the highest point of Malta overlooking the Mediterranean sea to take photographs. 

I though the tour gave a good overview of the rest of Malta outside the city of Valletta and I enjoyed the tour. 

A40ACC16-9FBF-4ABB-954B-8295FC2D42D3.jpeg

739EDAF6-DD4D-40EB-84FF-0A4EC15F707E.jpeg

EC555D94-968F-4996-83E2-E0053BF9E697.jpeg

591396C9-622A-42C0-910D-AAF0A78BC349.jpeg

043A172C-45DA-461F-B6BC-BB97A39D048F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I had been to Valletta before and seen the Cathedral etc so on Pursuit recently I booked the half day tour of the island.

It was good value with an excellent guide who was informative, but not over the top with bombarding you with information, as some are. We drove through Valletta to the small, pretty fishing village of Marsaxlokk and had an hour there to wander. We then did a tour of the island but didn’t get off the coach. We passed Mdina, the silent city and it looked very interesting. Next time I am in Malta I will go there. We then had a thirty minute stop at the beautiful St Mary’s Church in Mosta and then went to the highest point of Malta overlooking the Mediterranean sea to take photographs. 

I though the tour gave a good overview of the rest of Malta outside the city of Valletta and I enjoyed the tour. 

A40ACC16-9FBF-4ABB-954B-8295FC2D42D3.jpeg

739EDAF6-DD4D-40EB-84FF-0A4EC15F707E.jpeg

EC555D94-968F-4996-83E2-E0053BF9E697.jpeg

591396C9-622A-42C0-910D-AAF0A78BC349.jpeg

043A172C-45DA-461F-B6BC-BB97A39D048F.jpeg

Thanks for that review.

On our stop there Azamara offered an evening tour if Medina, a tour that was very atmospheric and memorable.

I hope it is still available for others.

Edited by nordski

Thanks for the information and photos.  I definitely plan to spend time in the cathedral but was hoping to do a half day tour as well.  I would have loved to take the evening Medina tour but unfortunately (or fortunately!) our Amazing Evening is planned for then.  Is Valletta walking distance from the ship?

8 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

Thanks for the information and photos.  I definitely plan to spend time in the cathedral but was hoping to do a half day tour as well.  I would have loved to take the evening Medina tour but unfortunately (or fortunately!) our Amazing Evening is planned for then.  Is Valletta walking distance from the ship?

Yes there is an elevator from the pier to the top of town square. Mdina is lovely except in high summer when it’s so mobbed it’s appeal is lost 

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes there is an elevator from the pier to the top of town square. Mdina is lovely except in high summer when it’s so mobbed it’s appeal is lost 

Great.  Thanks, uktog.

We had two days in Malta on a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago and spent one day in Valletta/Mdina and another on the Hornblower  (boat),  which was a lot of fun and included a side trip to Gozo along with Comino and the Blue Lagoon.  That was just a fantastic day.  Our overnight in Valletta was the biggest and best surprise for us on that itinerary.  

Regarding Cagliari we visited there on an MSC cruise last October. We booked an independent tuk-tuk tour of the city. Unfortunately the island was hit by heavy rain storms and floods which continued during our morning tour. The tuk-tuk was fun and very suitable for the many hills and streets around the city - even if it leaked in the rain! Unfortunately too, views from high points were non existent due to cloud and rain.

Nevertheless Sardinia is a great island to visit preferably in sunshine.