Are any drink packages worth it?

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Just by the way, has anyone seen others share their package with friends?

I've heard of it but haven't witnessed it (mostly because I'm not paying that close attention to what others are doing).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Our first cruise together, my girlfriend and I "shared" a drink package.  It was not "legal" but not enforced.  And was a very common practice.

Since then, Royal Carib requires all adults in the cabin to get the drink package if one gets it. Although, they do allow others in the cabin get the cheaper Refreshment package, but you have to call to do this.

For us, it is not too hard to make it pay.  Start with a glass or two of fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast (from concentrate is free, but they have fresh squeezed).

A couple of drinks around the pool during the day and a beer with lunch.  A pre-dinner drink.  A cocktail and a glass of wine with dinner.  A drink for the show.  And a nightcap before hitting the bed.

There is also the convenience factor.  With the package, there a no receipts wait for or to sign.  No tracking of the onboard bill to make sure you are not being charged from drinks you did not order.  And unlimited bottled water.  If we were soda drinkers, it would even be better.

We did do one cruise without the package.  It was cheaper, but we also drank less.  Even though it was not a worry cost wise, it just caused us to not get that drink here and there.  And it IS a vacation. 😄

I've been on a dozen cruise' and got the drink package on one. I still dont think its worth it, I only ever drink maybe a beer and a glass of wine. I dont drink soda anymore and stick mainly to water and coffee.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, simplelife said:

I have found that if I get the soda package, I will buy fewer drinks from the bar, so it is a savings for me. Often when DH get a drink, I just get a soda.

For me, no.  The cruise price that includes such packages is generally higher than if the package "deals" can be removed from the price of the cruise.  

On 9/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

For me, no.  The cruise price that includes such packages is generally higher than if the package "deals" can be removed from the price of the cruise.  

I don't buy a cruise with the package included ( like you, I find that it does not save moenhy). I buy separately and when i do, i find I spend lesson alcoholic drinks than I would without it.

• Like 1