Ft Myers Airport

Jenner9

I really hate the search feature! I know this has been asked before but I cannot find it doing a search. I always have trouble with the search feature....anyway...

How is this airport? I am thinking of flying here instead of FLL or Miami. I know it is 2 hours away but the flights are like 1/2 the price so would be cheaper even with the added transportation to our hotel in Hollywood.

Since my daughter moved to Fr. Meyers we've used  RSW for a few pre/post cruise stays.   The airport can be super busy during high season with long lines for TSA check in.  Lots of snowbirds coming and going.  

SW does offer direct flights to RSW but they might be a tad more.  I agree that it is much cheaper to fly to/from  RSW vs FLL .  I think we saved about $150 on our last flight. 

We just flew back last month and RSW wasn't as busy as a few months earlier.  The airport kind of reminds me of MKE...either busy or dead.   

FYI - I think there may be a bus service at RSW that goes to other Florida airports.  You'd have to check that out as it may be less expensive than renting a car or taking uber.   You could then uber to port or on your return back to FLL.  

For clarity, I think you propose to fly on Allegiant from Green Bay/Appleton to  Punta Gorda (PGD) airport which is a few miles south of Ft Myers.

I flew in and out of Punta Gorda a few years ago...major expansion was under construction to accomodate whatever commitment had been made with Allegiant.  It should be complete by now.

If this is so I suggest that you allow 2-3 hours of driving time to Port Everglades or Miami.  Rush hour in Ft Lauderdale will have a definite impact.

46 minutes ago, thinfool said:

For clarity, I think you propose to fly on Allegiant from Green Bay/Appleton to  Punta Gorda (PGD) airport which is a few miles south of Ft Myers.

I flew in and out of Punta Gorda a few years ago...major expansion was under construction to accomodate whatever commitment had been made with Allegiant.  It should be complete by now.

If this is so I suggest that you allow 2-3 hours of driving time to Port Everglades or Miami.  Rush hour in Ft Lauderdale will have a definite impact.

Actually I didnt even check Allegiant! Never thought about it as an option. We generally fly out of Milwaukee or Chicago because there are more options and it is cheaper. I will look into Allegiant though. Thanks for the suggestion! Flying out of Appleton would be great for us! Alot closer to home. We are staying in Hollywood Beach, FL amd sailing out of Miami.

12 hours ago, thinfool said:

Actually Punta Gorda  airport is north of Ft Myers

The airport is easy and much smaller and not as busy as say FLL or MIA. Though it is not some quite small airport either. It can get busy at times. 

The only negative is the extra drive time 2.5 hours or so. It is a pretty boring drive too.