Specialty Dining Question

LatinaInTexas

Sailing on the Vista next month, my 2nd Carnival cruise. We always eat dinner in the MDR but theres always a night or 2 that the menu isnt that appealing so I am planning to try speciality dining for the first time on those nights. I have read about the free bottle of wine at the steakhouse on first night but we dont drink wine. I am wondering if there are ever any other offers or discounts for any of the restaurants, perhaps once onboard? Like a pay for 2 to eat at at JiJi and get a percent off a second meal at Cucina? Anything along those lines? The cheapskate in me demands I look for a deal LOL.

If you're not planning on booking your specialty restaurants in advance of your cruise, bear in mind that you may not get a reservation on the night you want... so if you wait to look at the menu then decide that you want to go to JiJi's or the steakhouse, you may be out of luck. Not saying you will not get a reservation, just that on some sailings, the specialty restaurants seem to fill up.

One night on Vista this past June we went to Cucina del Capitano for 6 PM reservations and the place was half empty. People were walking up and being seated without reservations. However when we walked by the steakhouse a little while later the hostess told me they were booked solid for the rest of the cruise except the last night (which was an extra day added to the cruise last minute due to propulsion issues).

So just know that you may need to be flexible about your times or which restaurant you choose.

There was a promotion that started on the Horizon and I do not know if it has expanded to include the Vista or not.  If you reserved an evening in the Steakhouse, Jiji's and Cucina del Capitano, instead of paying 68 pp, you saved 8 and only paid 60.  I personally think the latter two are a better value at 15 each than the 38 they charge at the Steakhouse.  The tomahawk pork chop at Cucina is really good.