Hong Kong

BUgrad

2 hours ago, BUgrad said:

Please let me know how Viking handles this.  When I spoke with them they had no answers.

As of August 9 there in is an announcement on the Viking website about how they will be handling things. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Viking is not currently sailing to Hong Kong and is not scheduled to call there until late September. At this point we have not altered any sailings, but we are monitoring the political climate closely and will continue to do so in the coming weeks. The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority; should we deem a sailing modification is needed, Viking Customer Relations will communicate directly with any impacted guests or their travel agents about the change.

In the meantime, you can follow the roll calls for the Orion sailings throughout the fall, especially the Sept 6 roll call but any other that starts or ends in HK. 

Keep in mind that you have until 121 days prior to sailing to cancel your cruise with only a $100pp penalty.

2 hours ago, harbourside said:

I hope any change of departure point is given well in advance ,

Don't hold your breath. It is just too hard to predict.  If you haven't been following it already check out the Viking Orion - Far Eastern Horizons - September 6 2019  roll call, the cruise right before yours. They have been following the situation.

Our first Viking cruise, Empires of the Mediterranean, was originally scheduled to begin in Istanbul. After a series of incidents there, the itinerary was changed. Our cruise was still some distance out, but there were earlier sailings that would have been impacted as well. In our case, Viking was very helpful in adjusting our plans. I remember reading at the time that Viking worked with people who already had air booked, and even those who were arriving early on their own. Most seemed satisfied with the alternate plans and any reimbursements that were required. I was certainly disappointed to miss Istanbul, but things happen and adaptations have to be made.

Wishing the people of Hong Kong and all who wish to travel there a reasonable resolution to the troubles there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on Orion (Vancouver -> Hong Kong, 09/30/20) and are monitoring the situation including talking to relatives who live in HK.  Now that HK schools are back in session, Mondays to Fridays is not a problem.  If you are on VR extension tour, VO arriving or departing on a weekday, you should be OK.  The weekends bring out the protestors who are using many tactics targeting the airport, shopping malls, police stations, MTR station, and government offices in a random manner, and hit-and-run when the police show up.  I would not be surprised if the 9/21/19 excursions are canceled.  Hong Kong is still quite safe, just stay away from any demonstrations, which can bring tear gas, rubber bullets, and water (dyed indelible blue) cannon.  Follow the directions provided by VO, and the US consulate in HK web site.  The demonstrations reduced the tourist traffic by 40% from last year per the HK newspaper South China Morning Post.  This should may it easier to get into restaurants, bargain when shopping, and going on the VO excursions or on your own.  The HK hotels and shops have been cutting their prices.  Some business is better than no business.

• Thanks 1

It is my understanding that the night tour of Hong Kong has been cancelled and some have been altered for those on the Orion this coming weekend.  Those currently on board have relayed this info, but also said all the other tours are a go.

22 minutes ago, Cisterna said:

It is my understanding that the night tour of Hong Kong has been cancelled and some have been altered for those on the Orion this coming weekend.  Those currently on board have relayed this info, but also said all the other tours are a go.

Apparently it is the Hong Kong Night Tram Tour that has been cancelled, which makes sense due to the street demonstrators blocking the area on the weekends. The Hong Kong at night tour has been amended and no longer includes the Market - same reasoning I assume.