Pickleball

dockman

thanks but trying to find out if all ships have equipment....especially westerdam....i see lots of people playing on several holland ships but not sure if ship provided equipt or people using their own.....how crappy that people apparently steal the racquets?

To be fair, I think part of the problem might be kids looking for something to do, and good racquets would not last long with rough use; we were actually surprised to find a couple balls that had not been squished. The equipment is in a box on the sports deck, along with other odds and ends. We travel with our own racquets and balls - they don't take up too much room in a suitcase. I guess a solution would be to have them at the courtesy desk and require guests to sign the equipment out. We were just happy that a space was provided for us to play, and surprisingly, there were at least 8-10 other players on board the Zuiderdam.

If you have the time before you sail, you could try contacting Holland America and ask to be put in touch with the Westerdam cruise director. I figure the more people who express interest in pickleball, the more likely the cruise line will attempt to accomodate us.

• 3 years later...

Update to all old posts.  In early 2023, the PPA named HAL as an official sponsor.  HAL now has Pickleball on all of their ships.  They provide medium-grade paddles and balls, i.e., bring your own if you can, including OUTDOOR balls.  They also have lessons but I've not experienced them yet.  I'm a 4+ level player and am concerned about how they will manage beginners along with more seasoned players.  It is quite competitive and there's usually 10 - 15 more experienced players ( on the smaller ships).  HAL will also sell paddles at some point, for those that want to take up the sport, but I suspect they will be entry level. Most players bring their own.  In case you missed my earlier mention, BRING GOOD QUALITY OUTDOOR BALLS like Franklin X40s or Durafast 40s.  Indoor balls are no fun since they sail in the always-present wind on a ship.  See you on board.

* Grand Africa Zuiderdam Oct. 2023

* Hawaii Koningsdam Jan 2024

* Japan 84 days Noordam Jan 2025

* 28 day Alaska Westerdam Jun 2025

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Rotterdam for three weeks earlier this year and paddles and balls were provided. We brought our own but, imo, the provided paddles were adequate.  The wind was definitely an issue and challenge but us die-hard pickle ball players persevered.  

There were always people waiting to play and I did not see lessons mentioned in the daily.  A gathering time was listed but people showed up and played virtually all day.

i know you were specifically asking about Westerdam not Rotterdam.  I feel certain the circumstances are consistent among the ships.

We want to learn on our late fall New England to FL cruise but I’m concerned about weather. Is the court outdoors on all ships? Looks like it from photos but I don’t want to screw up and find myself wearing the wrong clothing. Do they do lessons if it’s cold outside? Does wind from weather or sailing affect this?

There's a pickleball league at POA2 here in Fort Lauderdale. They play during our working hours but we pop out to watch from our balcony when we get a free moment.

I had no idea how serious the sport was. Thanks to all of you for the insight.

1 hour ago, AllTheSun said:

We want to learn on our late fall New England to FL cruise but I’m concerned about weather. Is the court outdoors on all ships? Looks like it from photos but I don’t want to screw up and find myself wearing the wrong clothing. Do they do lessons if it’s cold outside? Does wind from weather or sailing affect this?

The courts are outdoors on all ships.  I’m not sure if they cancel lessons if the weather is cold, but the courts are available for anyone who wants to play whether it is cold, windy etc.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

There's a pickleball league at POA2 here in Fort Lauderdale. They play during our working hours but we pop out to watch from our balcony when we get a free moment.

I had no idea how serious the sport was. Thanks to all of you for the insight.

I read recently that Pickle Ball is starting to be banned in certain communities due to the annoying sound caused by the balls & paddles...

Its starting to sound like Pickle Ball is the new Bridge Players....

I started playing this new sport 5 months ago. I'm in mid-60s. I think some of the injuries are from people that are not fit enough or didn't warm up before playing. Its best to take beginner lessons first, instead of just throwing yourself into something you don't know how it will effect you.  

On 7/16/2023 at 7:00 AM, AllTheSun said:

Yes, the courts are all outdoors and on the top deck where the wind and motion are most severe. I would suggest you learn before you go on a cruise. Playing while the ship is in motion is very different than playing on land. Injuries are much more common because of the ship’s motion. It would be awful if your ruin your cruise by getting injured.

• Thanks 1

I watched 4 people trying to play on the Equinox last April while we were cruising at 18 knots. Ridiculous to attempt, all they did was chase the ball. I decided right then I was not going to attempt. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 9:04 PM, MrBill923 said:

I watched 4 people trying to play on the Equinox last April while we were cruising at 18 knots. Ridiculous to attempt, all they did was chase the ball. I decided right then I was not going to attempt. 

The speed of the ship didn't make a difference.  The wind makes it a challenge.  If the surf is up, clearly it may pose problems.  When you are playing in calm winds and seas (<3 meters, with stabilizers out), you will likely not notice that the ship is moving at 20 knots.

This is my experience.  Wind is a PITA.

Bring OUTDOOR balls. 😉