Harmony and Dinner with Children

We have been on 30+ cruises on several lines, but have never taken children on a cruise before.  Next summer, for our 50th anniversary, we are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas with 8 adults and 4 children in total.  The children will be 7,9,12 and 15.  No one but my spouse and I have cruised before, and the excitement is building!

I searched out the children's clubs on NOS this past March and have researched lots of activities, excursions,  and ship fun for them.  We have begun a monthly newsletter full of links to CC comments, videos and reviews of HOS, the ports, and ideas for sharing a room, etc.

However, I am unsure of the dinner menu/food choices for the kids.  Although we have Jr Suites, we decided that we would all eat at 2 adjoining tables of 6 in the MDR  and rotate our seating each night a bit with 4 adults and 2 kids at each.  The 15 year old had immediately stated on a recent visit that he did not want to be at a KIDS table every night, and that is just fine. Our TA has told me to go to the MDR and arrange the table set up request on boarding. 

But how does children's food work?  Can the 15 year old choose off the adult menu most nights if he wishes?  I have seen a photo of a small children's menu with typical items, but it is limited.  Probably fine for the 2 younger ones especially.  Can the older boys mix it up a bit, with some items from each? 

We also would like to do Solarium Bistro for all of us one evening, for a different experience for all.  My husband and I have enjoyed it very much on Oasis and have seen other large family groups there.  Has anyone tried it with younger children?  The menu does seem a bit adult for the younger two. 

Any help or ideas you can offer is appreciated. 

Thanks for the info and the laugh!

The 2 older boys will be thrilled to know they can have a bit more to eat.  And maybe we can get them to add a few new items to their diet and yet eat healthy (all the kids are very athletic).  They may not go for my spouse's choice of escargot, perhaps, but may sample something new-to-them. 

Yes, I realized about the title just as I sent it in, but having taught school for 45 years,  36 in Elementary, I know that combination so very well from my  lunchroom days....which the Windjammer can remind me of on some visits!!

My nephew was 15 on Symphony earlier this year and would frequently get 2 steaks for dinner (he doesn’t do apps or dessert) and my 13 year old niece loved all the choices. Even on our cruises when they were younger they always ordered from the adult menu. In fact, no one even offered them a children’s menu (although I’m sure we could have requested one). 

This is all very helpful and the kids will be happy.  Thought it was possible, but wanted to be certain my info was correct before passing it on to them. 

Yes, I should not be surprised if someone does go for a more "exotic" (to them) food item. That IS one of the benefits of cruising...a chance to try something new, be it an activity, a culture, a food, etc and still have something familiar around if you need it. 

• Like 1

My son (now 12) has done a few cruises (lucky duck) and always gets a mix of adult and child.  His fave is a shrimp cocktail every night.  I’d say the cruise last year he got steak most nights from adult menu.

We we went on a big family trip and mixed up the tables and it worked great.  Was fun to catch up with different folks.  We all did our own thing during the day and caught up over dinner though of course we ran into each other during day.  

we do not do solarium with my son.  Not his food.  You could have kids do windjammer that night and kids club or just a couple of you go.  Just be flexible and enjoy. 

Edited by martikus

3 hours ago, DiamondDiva said:

This is all very helpful and the kids will be happy.  Thought it was possible, but wanted to be certain my info was correct before passing it on to them. 

Yes, I should not be surprised if someone does go for a more "exotic" (to them) food item. That IS one of the benefits of cruising...a chance to try something new, be it an activity, a culture, a food, etc and still have something familiar around if you need it. 

We 2 teenage boys and they ordered entrees & desserts from the adult menu. One night my 19-year-old order the chicken noodle soup from kids menu for his appetizer!