Jan 3 SYD to SYD

MrsWaldo

I bit the bullet and started the booking process on Friday

Pretty much all confirmed as the stars aligned

A few questions, mostly itinerary based.

1. Diving options.  Anyone done these ports and know whats on offer for dives, either through SS or outsourced.  Miss W is a keen and experienced diver.

2. Suggestions for outsourced tours.  I've been to Port Vila before and I have phone contact for private drivers.  Hmmm Dick and Willy!  I had to laugh the first time cos will told me sometimes Dick doesn't come...  Willy is reliable

3. I know White Bay is a horror.  Any tips?  Live local so it will be a limo (uber is dearer!)

4. We've gone Vista GTY (yes I know all the drawbacks) any thoughts, comments, tips on Muse Vista.  I've always gone Midship Verandah pick YO.

5. Anything else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

I bit the bullet and started the booking process on Friday.  Pretty much all confirmed as the stars aligned

2. Suggestions for outsourced tours.  I've been to Port Vila before and I have phone contact for private drivers.  Hmmm Dick and Willy!  I had to laugh the first time cos will told me sometimes Dick doesn't come...  Willy is reliable

4. We've gone Vista GTY (yes I know all the drawbacks) any thoughts, comments, tips on Muse Vista.  I've always gone Midship Verandah pick YO.

5. Anything else?

Yes, will be following along with your adventure from Sydney with strong personal interests.  With Oceania, Regatta, we have scheduled an 18-day, Feb. 17-March 5, 2020, cruise from Auckland to Tahiti that includes stops at Port Vila/Vanuatu, Lautoka/Fiji, Noumea/New Caledonia, etc.  Look forward to hearing more as to what you do in these various common ports.  

As to the Silver Muse, having just gotten off of this nice ship earlier this month, I would not worry about doing a Vista suite.  Those Vista suite are big, well-designed and handy. We were super impressed with the Muse, its staff, etc.  Its size is handy and easy to navigate.  From the Vista level, it is quick to go up the elevator to the hidden gem of Tor's Observation Library, be at the pool level, etc.  Since the Muse has only six Vista suite,s there is a decent chance you could be upgraded to a balcony room.  Sounds like a great, smart plan!!  Keep us posted as you plan and prepare. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 49,100 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I almost booked this but was put off by the thought of jet lag and travelling on NYE and elected in the end to do a FLL Mexico cruise which has morphed into a FLL to Lima..

So I shall certainly be interested in what we missed and hoping you're able to do a live report when the time comes.

On the diving front, I know they want to see your log book which must have a dive within the last 12 months. (No go without) It's rare I get the chance these days and each time I do I always end up having to have a pool refresher. It's now 7 years since my 4 Sharm dives, so I'd certainly need that!

6 hours ago, les37b said:

I almost booked this but was put off by the thought of jet lag and travelling on NYE and elected in the end to do a FLL Mexico cruise which has morphed into a FLL to Lima..

So I shall certainly be interested in what we missed and hoping you're able to do a live report when the time comes.

On the diving front, I know they want to see your log book which must have a dive within the last 12 months. (No go without) It's rare I get the chance these days and each time I do I always end up having to have a pool refresher. It's now 7 years since my 4 Sharm dives, so I'd certainly need that!

Are you going FLL to Lima on the shadow, January 24, 2020?

On 8/26/2019 at 11:00 PM, shipsmail said:

We will be also on  this cruise after NYE in Sydney. I have seen that the cruise will start at White Bay Terminal and not at the terminal close to the Opera, which would have been a short walk from our hotel. Very sad.

Sadly, because their smaller size allows them to get under the Harbour Bridge, the premium ship get shuffled off to White Bay whilst the mass market megaships get the OPT in the heart of the city. We saw Europa 2, the worlds highest rated ship, sitting forlornly at White Bay. We residents of Sydney dislike White Bay as much as anyone. It was a cheapskate effort by the state government who allowed all the good sites east of the Bridge to be sold as marinas for their megarich mates and their speedboats and yachts. The only good part for visitors is you do get to sail under the Bridge.

If your hotel is in the city, they usually put on a ferry from Circular Quay to White Bay, but you'd need to check if its put on for Silversea. Otherwise it really has to be either a taxi or Uber and I'd guess at maybe $25 oneway. My wife and I are on this cruise. We've done multiple cruises on Crystal and Cunard but really looking forward to our first on Silversea.

7 hours ago, Gerko said:

We residents of Sydney dislike White Bay as much as anyone.

Probably more.....

It is so much easier to public transport from home to CQ. 

My jump on the train option/stress free is now either hire a limo or uber... so my $10 return (Miss W has student rates) is 10x the price and 3x the time.

Les, the refresher is all sorted, unfortunately she will be just out of date after moving out of home.  Refresher can be done 15 mins from my home with a shore dive.  Unfortunately for her, now based in rural Aus, not much option, water is a scarcity.

I think I've found a local for Vanuatu...  

Gerko, I've not done any of the Crystal or Cunard but can say we always enjoy SS.  Are you into trivia by any chance?

I have to admit to being a bit scared of having 500pax on board

11 hours ago, Gerko said:

Sadly, because their smaller size allows them to get under the Harbour Bridge, the premium ship get shuffled off to White Bay whilst the mass market megaships get the OPT in the heart of the city. We saw Europa 2, the worlds highest rated ship, sitting forlornly at White Bay. We residents of Sydney dislike White Bay as much as anyone. It was a cheapskate effort by the state government who allowed all the good sites east of the Bridge to be sold as marinas for their megarich mates and their speedboats and yachts. The only good part for visitors is you do get to sail under the Bridge.

If your hotel is in the city, they usually put on a ferry from Circular Quay to White Bay, but you'd need to check if its put on for Silversea. Otherwise it really has to be either a taxi or Uber and I'd guess at maybe $25 oneway. My wife and I are on this cruise. We've done multiple cruises on Crystal and Cunard but really looking forward to our first on Silversea.

Gerko, thanks for your tips concerning transfer to White Bay. I‘ll check this out later in the year. We will stay for NYE at the Park Hyatt for a few days. So we may be able to see the MUSE coming in that morning from our room. Of course CQ would be even nicer, as from our hotel we could walk to this terminal. Any tips for NYE or the days around it?

See you on board maybe.

6 hours ago, shipsmail said:

Gerko, thanks for your tips concerning transfer to White Bay. I‘ll check this out later in the year. We will stay for NYE at the Park Hyatt for a few days. So we may be able to see the MUSE coming in that morning from our room. Of course CQ would be even nicer, as from our hotel we could walk to this terminal. Any tips for NYE or the days around it?

See you on board maybe.

Booked and confirmed   Bring it on

Hope you don't mind,  I'm Sydney based too!

The NYE fireworks view from the PH is a bit dig as the big attraction is behind you (Harbour Bridge)  If there are tickets still available and you don't mind spending the cash the Opera Gala or one of the events at the Opera House are the way to go. Perfect view.  Alternatively one of my favourites is Midnight at the Oasis, however, it isn't weather proof.   Altitude or Aria restaurants are excellent as well.  Aria is worth it for the food alone.

NYE around the PH will be crazy busy, as will the surrounds of Circular Quay.  It has a real party atmosphere.  There will be alcohol check points and a high police presence.  I wouldn't walk around the rocks itself too late into the night as it becomes quite rough/backpacker central.

NY day is really quiet. IME if you are going to Zoo its an ideal day as not many local people are around.  

If you are interested in Aboriginal Art, the Art Gallery of NSW has a free guided tour at 10.30am each day.  Entry to the gallery is also free. The MCA (contemporary art) is almost at your doorstep.  It's worth a walk along Macquarie St as this is probably our oldest "grand " precinct. I'd also head into the Queen Victoria Building.  If you go up Macquaries St you could head over through David Jones which is our premium department store, through Pitt St Mall and Strand Arcade. 

If you are into walking then look at either Bondi to Bronte (not NYD) or my preferred Spit to Manly.  Both are coastal style. I wouldn't bother with the Manly Ferry.

With 3 days and the time of year I wouldn't do a Blue Mountains trip and Darling harbour is just another wharf redevelopment area. 

Happy to help with any specifics,

Edited by MrsWaldo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shipsmail said:

See you on board maybe.

Must be costing you an arm and a leg to stay at the PH over NYE as its our most expensive hotel  at the best of times. A short walk from your hotel are the steps up on to the Bridge walkway. Walk north 100m until you reach the first stone pylon where you can pay around $10 to go inside. There's a small museum dedicated to the building of the bridge and a wonderful lookout point at the top. IMO much better value than taking the Bridgeclimb at ten times the price. Then keep walking across the Bridge and you'll see on your left the laughing clown faced entrance to Luna Park, a historic amusement park with free entry. Have a coffee or bite at one of the nearby Kirribilli cafes and then take the ferry back across to Circular Quay. A great way to spend half a day with minimal cost.

Another favourite of mine across the other side of CQ on Philip st is the Museum of Police & Justice, with displays going through the darker side of Sydney's history. Or nearby to the PH is the Susannah Place Museum. A group of four terrace houses from 1844  that were the homes of normal working class people and which somehow managed to survive virtually unaltered for 150 years until they were saved from demolishion and turned into a museum.

9 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

Booked and confirmed   Bring it on

Hope you don't mind,  I'm Sydney based too!

The NYE fireworks view from the PH is a bit dig as the big attraction is behind you (Harbour Bridge)  If there are tickets still available and you don't mind spending the cash the Opera Gala or one of the events at the Opera House are the way to go. Perfect view.  Alternatively one of my favourites is Midnight at the Oasis, however, it isn't weather proof.   Altitude or Aria restaurants are excellent as well.  Aria is worth it for the food alone.

NYE around the PH will be crazy busy, as will the surrounds of Circular Quay.  It has a real party atmosphere.  There will be alcohol check points and a high police presence.  I wouldn't walk around the rocks itself too late into the night as it becomes quite rough/backpacker central.

NY day is really quiet. IME if you are going to Zoo its an ideal day as not many local people are around.  

If you are interested in Aboriginal Art, the Art Gallery of NSW has a free guided tour at 10.30am each day.  Entry to the gallery is also free. The MCA (contemporary art) is almost at your doorstep.  It's worth a walk along Macquarie St as this is probably our oldest "grand " precinct. I'd also head into the Queen Victoria Building.  If you go up Macquaries St you could head over through David Jones which is our premium department store, through Pitt St Mall and Strand Arcade. 

If you are into walking then look at either Bondi to Bronte (not NYD) or my preferred Spit to Manly.  Both are coastal style. I wouldn't bother with the Manly Ferry.

With 3 days and the time of year I wouldn't do a Blue Mountains trip and Darling harbour is just another wharf redevelopment area. 

Happy to help with any specifics,

Thank you so much for your valuable tips. I will soon start planning.

7 hours ago, Gerko said:

Must be costing you an arm and a leg to stay at the PH over NYE as its our most expensive hotel  at the best of times. A short walk from your hotel are the steps up on to the Bridge walkway. Walk north 100m until you reach the first stone pylon where you can pay around $10 to go inside. There's a small museum dedicated to the building of the bridge and a wonderful lookout point at the top. IMO much better value than taking the Bridgeclimb at ten times the price. Then keep walking across the Bridge and you'll see on your left the laughing clown faced entrance to Luna Park, a historic amusement park with free entry. Have a coffee or bite at one of the nearby Kirribilli cafes and then take the ferry back across to Circular Quay. A great way to spend half a day with minimal cost.

Another favourite of mine across the other side of CQ on Philip st is the Museum of Police & Justice, with displays going through the darker side of Sydney's history. Or nearby to the PH is the Susannah Place Museum. A group of four terrace houses from 1844  that were the homes of normal working class people and which somehow managed to survive virtually unaltered for 150 years until they were saved from demolishion and turned into a museum.

Yes the Park Hyatt is really costly. But once in a lifetime we would like to be in Sydney for NYE. It won‘t be the first time in Sydney for us, but we never have really seen the attractions you and Mrs.Waldo have mentioned. Thank you so much.

I was in Sydney on a working holiday in 1983/84 (Which i have very warm memories of and huge regrets I came home!)

I think the intention was to go to the Rocks and see in the NY over looking the bridge, but we never escaped the  (Filtered worked replaced!) Male Chicken and Bull pub in Bondi Junction. I do however remember managing to get on HMS Invincible on Boxing day which was berthed in Darling Harbour (I think) and there for Joint UK/Aus/US Navy exercises. Not long after the Falklands conflict!

Such fond memories. (Sydney - not the War!)

Edited by les37b

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 1:17 AM, shipsmail said:

Yes the Park Hyatt is really costly. But once in a lifetime we would like to be in Sydney for NYE. It won‘t be the first time in Sydney for us, but we never have really seen the attractions you and Mrs.Waldo have mentioned. Thank you so much.

How is the PH in March?

3 hours ago, Gerko said:

Still the most expensive in Sydney. Usually over A$1000 a night. Would suggest as alternatives to consider the Harbourside Marriott or the Quay West Suites.

Ok thanks. I figured they were proud of themselves so I'll look at the Harbourside.  I'm still waiting for the Ritz Carlton to open in Perth.  Hear it should be November.....

Thanks again

Having stayed at all 3 properties there is no comparison.  

I've done 2 stays this year at PH and it is easily the best choice BUT the $$ are a killer.  I try to use points if possible.

Quay West is located up the hill.  IMHO Quay Grand is a much better alternative as some of the suites at West are getting quite tired.

Shangri La is another great alternative, but it is also up the hill.  

Four  Seasons is usually my pick after PH if you don't want to walk.

If you do go with Mariott ask for a quiet room.  Some of them overlooking the old Goldfields House site can be prone to some construction noise.

Edited to add... March is peak for hotel rates in Sydney..

Edited by MrsWaldo

Lots of events/conferences,  big influx of cruises, Mardi Gras, Autumn Racing Festival, University returns so quite a significant number of exchange student families come, settle child then holiday.  Not too mention often our best weather.

The PH is definitely a  better deal if you can use points, as their rates will make your eyes water.

Still, a gorgeous hotel and great location. Stumbling distance from the CQ train station, even with luggage, after a Transpacific flight. We used it for our one-night base in Sydney during the big Australia trip last year.