WiFi Infinity

sasset

32 minutes ago, sasset said:

It's been a while since we've been on an M class. With the internet plan how is the WiFi in your cabin? Is it strong enough to make WiFi calls? We will be aft on 9.

Wifi signal strength might vary from cabin to cabin. I've been to cabins where the signal was poor.

I have just got off Infinity, this was the first time I’ve had an internet package so can’t say if it’s any better or not. However, I thought it was pretty poor, constantly dropping in and out, I seriously doubt it would support WiFi calling.

surfing the net, Facebook etc was painful. We were in a  forward deck seven balcony stateroom if that makes any difference.

Regards Debbie

Unfortunately, the Infinity WiFi was horrible for us in March. We were aft 11. The ship hasn't been revolutionized so maybe will improve when it is done. I had to be near our cabin door to get much service and it cut out a lot. I ended up getting up early and going to Cafe al Bacio near a router for better service. I'm not sure about calls - we did WiFi texting some and it worked most of the time.

I was spoiled on the Edge, with routers in every cabin and great service all over the ship. I will probably get the cheaper surf package on the Infinity next year (before renovation) and hope for the best. We will be on 6 - mid-ship this time.

Thanks everyone. Our last cruises were on Reflection and WiFi was petty good. I was just trying to avoid signing up for a cruise mobile plan and use WiFi for calls. Sounds too dodgy now.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, sasset said:

Thanks everyone. Our last cruises were on Reflection and WiFi was petty good. I was just trying to avoid signing up for a cruise mobile plan and use WiFi for calls. Sounds too dodgy now.

Thanks again.

If you have free Captain's Club minutes, maybe you could try it before you purchase a package.  

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

If you have free Captain's Club minutes, maybe you could try it before you purchase a package.  

Just a caution, if you use any of your Captains Club minutes then you don’t get the CC discount on purchasing a package.  If you only want a one device package & two of you are eligible for a discount, be sure to test using only 1 persons CC minutes.  That way you retain a discount.

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

Just a caution, if you use any of your Captains Club minutes then you don’t get the CC discount on purchasing a package.  If you only want a one device package & two of you are eligible for a discount, be sure to test using only 1 persons CC minutes.  That way you retain a discount.

That's good to know! I didn't realize that. We have never purchased an internet package onboard. Thanks, jelayne!

I've found that speed / signal strength is dependent on proximity to the routers which are generally in the hallway and easy to spot.   The closer the stronger the signal.    Saying that I was in a RS on Silhouette that had previously had extremely poor reception.   Last year when in the same cabin they had installed a router in the room, which gave me excellent speeds.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, vtcruising said:

Unfortunately, the Infinity WiFi was horrible for us in March. We were aft 11. The ship hasn't been revolutionized so maybe will improve when it is done. I had to be near our cabin door to get much service and it cut out a lot. I ended up getting up early and going to Cafe al Bacio near a router for better service. I'm not sure about calls - we did WiFi texting some and it worked most of the time.

I was spoiled on the Edge, with routers in every cabin and great service all over the ship. I will probably get the cheaper surf package on the Infinity next year (before renovation) and hope for the best. We will be on 6 - mid-ship this time.

When will the Infinity be revolutionized ?