Sky Princess Marina Deck below SeaWalk

katmu

My friend and I booked a mini-suite guarantee on the Sky Princess for the December 7th sailing.  We just found out that we will be in cabin M409 on the Marina deck below the SeaWalk.  I know on the Regal and Royal some cruisers didn't like the Marina deck cabins below the SkyWalk but I understand they've changed the design somewhat but I'm trying to understand if we will have a bit more privacy maybe than on the previous ships?  I know no one can answer for sure since the ship hasn't sailed yet but I've been trying to see if there are any pictures out yet of the side of the ship to give me some idea of that area.  I'm still excited to have the bigger balcony, and to see the new ship.  Plus getting out of Minnesota in December for the Caribbean is always a plus. 😊

7 hours ago, katmu said:

My friend and I booked a mini-suite guarantee on the Sky Princess for the December 7th sailing.  We just found out that we will be in cabin M409 on the Marina deck below the SeaWalk.  I know on the Regal and Royal some cruisers didn't like the Marina deck cabins below the SkyWalk but I understand they've changed the design somewhat but I'm trying to understand if we will have a bit more privacy maybe than on the previous ships?  I know no one can answer for sure since the ship hasn't sailed yet but I've been trying to see if there are any pictures out yet of the side of the ship to give me some idea of that area.  I'm still excited to have the bigger balcony, and to see the new ship.  Plus getting out of Minnesota in December for the Caribbean is always a plus. 😊

‘This is the only photo I’ve seen, taken just before the recent sea trials . It’s hard to see, but you can see how the deck is filled in on Sky, unlike Royal/Regal/Majestic.  Should have a lot more privacy now.  

1E786F4D-7B47-4D30-9057-6007E1587A11.jpeg

Edited by LongToSeeTheSea

MY DH and I were under the SkyWalk on our last Regal cruise and have booked it again for our next cruise.  I think you will find that after the first day or two (when the novelty has worn off) very few people use the Skywalk and even fewer of those linger to stare at your balcony.  I actually enjoyed being on my balcony and looking up at the walkers, especially at night.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jangor said:

One side is the Skywalk; the other side is the Skyview Bar.  We were under the Skywalk.  Skyview Bar side would have less of a view, but I am not sure about noise from the bar.

The design is going to be a bit different on the Sky Princess though.  The bar is in the middle with the glass on the sides.  It doesn't go out nearly as far as on the previous ships.

SkyPrincessLidoDeck.jpg

56 minutes ago, katmu said:

The design is going to be a bit different on the Sky Princess though.  The bar is in the middle with the glass on the sides.  It doesn't go out nearly as far as on the previous ships.

This should be an interesting change; as I said before, after the first day or two very few people used the SkyWalk.  Perhaps too many complaints about noise from Seaview Bar?

SkyPrincessLidoDeck.jpg

I'm wondering if the change was due to the complaints from people in those cabins below, either from noise from the bar, or from not wanting to be on the balconies with people looking down.  I will try to get some good pics of the differences.

You have more people staring at the lower balconies on the Grand class ships, where people can hang out on their balconies and watch you for hours if they like.  Very few people hang out on the SkyWalk.  They walk across, watch the ocean on one side and may or may not turn around to check out the balconies below.  I never saw anyone just hang out on the SkyWalk staring at balconies in the faint hope that a semi-naked person would be sunning on their balcony.  A non-starter as far as I could see.

16 minutes ago, katmu said:

I'm wondering if the change was due to the complaints from people in those cabins below, either from noise from the bar, or from not wanting to be on the balconies with people looking down.  I will try to get some good pics of the differences.

My guess is that it was less costly to build a solid, traditional deck than one that had cantilevered walkways/bars.  The cost couldn't be justified given how "ho-hum" people found this "new, innovative feature" to be.  And I would guess the same thing about changing the Fountain Pool on the previous ships to a Regular Pool on Sky.