Queen Mary V Queen Elizabeth

The Med

6 hours ago, The Med said:

Another question, on an earlier post you mentioned that departure from Hamberg on QM2 was special.

Can you explain why?  Is it that Hamberg is especially scenic? 

The people of Hamburg love QM2 and when the ship departs there's something of a celebration along the Elbe river. 

PhotoPictureResizer_190910_094000031_crop_4608x2368.thumb.jpg.63a6b5350901756eb8d6db32d979c543.jpg

If you can't read the banner, it says "We only depart to meet again. Farewell QM2." And someone's setting off fireworks from the terrace to the right.

Lots of pleasure boats sailing behind the ship down the river, groups singing on the wharves, it's unique.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Med said:

Yes, I think that we will almost certainly choose QM2 for the reasons you have mentioned. (its uniqueness).

We are not loyal to a particular cruise line and choose a cruise for a variety of reasons, sometimes it’s specifically for the destination, sometimes it’s to try a specific ship.

Some friends of ours always cruise Azamara. I can’t think of anything more boring than getting on a ship and already knowing it inside out, but each to their own.

We start at the top of the ship and love to explore every nook and cranny, gradually working our way through the decks.

So QM2 certainly sounds different.

I accept that we aren’t going to get the full experience on a 2 day cruise.

Interesting that you say about the different vibe on a transatlantic crossing. We much prefer port days to sea days so it’s unlikely that we’d ever choose to do a transatlantic crossing. When looking at cruises if one has too many sea days it really puts me off.

We might feel differently when husband has retired and we have more time on our hands.

I really enjoy coming on cruise critic to read other people’s views and about what’s important to them or the things that for them make a good cruise.

We are alike in that we both enjoy variety.  Like you I'm not loyal to any one cruise line or ship.  I would also find that incredibly boring.  I like to try them all, especially new prototype ships.  It's sort of a hobby I suppose.  I rarely sail on the same ship twice but QM2 is the exception.  I've sailed on her 10+ times.  She is that special to me.  

If you like exploring you will love QM2.  There is so much to explore on her, and as I mentioned her layout is very quirky.  It's unlike any other ship.  It's one of the reasons I find her so appealing.  She is not the cookie-cutter cruise ship.  

I do hope you decide to try a crossing someday.  It's like stepping back in time to a bygone era.  No ports to get in the way and just pure enjoyment of the ship and experience.  I'm far from retired and I absolutely love a crossing.  My husband doesn't and won't sail on one, so I always sail them with friends or my brother.  The ship really does take on a very different atmosphere on a crossing.  Everyone really wants to be there, and there is a purpose.  You are on a line-voyage from the old world to the new, or vice versa.  Also many people relocate using QM2 and even bring their pets along.  That is another unique feature of QM2, her kennel.  It's quite fun during a crossing to watch the dogs playing on their own deck during the day.  They even have a New York fire hydrant and a London Street Post to relieve themselves!  LOL.

I do hope you enjoy Cunard, and hopefully it will be a cruise line (and ship) that you will want to return to.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eroller said:

... The ship really does take on a very different atmosphere on a crossing.  Everyone really wants to be there, and there is a purpose.  You are on a line-voyage from the old world to the new, or vice versa. 

Indeed. "Everyone really wants to be there" is what I say to people who don't understand the joy of a crossing or who dare to criticise me for doing so. I point out the difference in moods between people waiting to board the ship in Southampton or New York and those in an airport. I see more tired, hot and fed up people waiting in airports than I do in ship terminals. Even those who have to endure a queue for a ship seem happier than those in airports.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Indeed. "Everyone really wants to be there" is what I say to people who don't understand the joy of a crossing or who dare to criticise me for doing so. I point out the difference in moods between people waiting to board the ship in Southampton or New York and those in an airport. I see more tired, hot and fed up people waiting in airports than I do in ship terminals. Even those who have to endure a queue for a ship seem happier than those in airports.

And it's quite refreshing to truly sail on a voyage across the Atlantic ... with day after day of the ship moving through the ocean beneath you.  You really feel like you're going somewhere.  Not like a cruise where you essentially float around between ports that are a very short distance between each other.  It's even worse now with all cruise lines saving fuel.  They are truly optimizing itineraries for fuel savings, which mean fewer far off ports and more floating around between ports very close to each other.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply.

Based on the information that you lovely people have given, we’ve booked.........

Queen Mary.

Just a 2 night taster, in a balcony, but very much looking forward to the experience.

thanks everyone for the wealth of information.

Massively appreciated.

Edited by The Med
  • Like 1