SAS or Lyft/Uber

Melissa623

My son and I going to be flying into Fort Lauderdale on 12/13 for a cruise that leaves out of Miami on the 14th. I've got almost everything set and ready, except for our transportation from the hotel (near the airport) to the port of Miami. I've got this narrowed down to SAS or Lyft/Uber. What had everyone tried? What are the pros and cons to each? 

If you look down the board, you will see many discussions on the methods to transport yourselves around the area. Lots and lots of good info here, just takes a little reading. 

Uber/Lyft will take you direct to your ship, on your schedule. It's not shared, so no delays. It will probably be a little more expensive than shuttles. See Uberestimate.com. 

Shuttles may, or may not pick up from your hotel...see the SAS website for which hotels they pick up at. So you may need to return to the airport to start your travel. Shared may make several stops, and not depart until full. Shuttles should cost about $15pp, so probably a little cheaper. 

Just did a shared shuttle in DC last week. To be honest, not a good experience. Probably not our first choice in the future. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply. SAS does pickup from my hotel, I've been to their website all ready. I've also read tons of posts on this topic, I'm looking for some first hand experiences to help me decide which route I want to take. 🙂

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

SAS has generally good comments on this board. However, when we travel we prefer to have more control regarding our time and using a car service is best for us. We would not be wedded to a schedule. 

I was very impressed with their reviews but the one thing I was worried about was not being able to pick my time exactly as I wanted. Thank you for your reply. 

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

We used to use shared shuttles (SAS, QLS, etc.), but now for a few dollars more prefer door to door service from Uber or Lyft.

I was leaning towards SAS because they've got such great reviews, however, now I'm starting to think Lyft/Uber might be the best way to go to make sure I can leave at the time I really want. Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

37 minutes ago, Jenner9 said:

We used SAS once several years ago. Transportation to the ship was great but they never picked us up after the cruise was over!! After 2 hours of waiting and calling we ended up in a taxi.

Oh my goodness, that's horrible. Thank you for letting me know about that.

8 minutes ago, Melissa623 said:

Oh my goodness, that's horrible. Thank you for letting me know about that.

Most reviews are positive for SAS. Im not sure what happened the day we had them booked but they left us and another couple we met on the cruise stranded! They nearly missed their flight! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jenner9 said:

Most reviews are positive for SAS. Im not sure what happened the day we had them booked but they left us and another couple we met on the cruise stranded! They nearly missed their flight! 

That's my fear, that someone doesn't show up and we miss our cruise or flight back home. 

11 hours ago, Melissa623 said:

That's my fear, that someone doesn't show up and we miss our cruise or flight back home. 

Taxi or Uber are always an easy backup up option. We've had great experiences in the past with SAS and QLS, but no one bats 1.000

• Thanks 1