Cruise price dropped on fully paid cruise: can I receive an onboard credit?

VPMJ

21 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I'll  continue to disagree. 🙂  I've gotten on those "newer/ships/ hotter itineraries"  at give away rates.    The fact that those can be very costly to begin with,  allows for potential unsold space.   I'm open to any opportunity-  and have the great flexibility to take advantage.   I sail with a itinerary priority first and don't care about the ship.  I've been on 16 cruises already this year-   I gave up trying to predict anything a lot time ago.  🙂    

We don't have to agree about everything. I've done pretty well although not perfectly with my predictions. I will agree that it's not about the ship for me either, it's definitely about the itinerary which is why things have worked out well for me.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:35 PM, April42749 said:

I tried....my TA said something to the effect of "no".  It was only a $25 drop so I didn't really care, but I think he was just too lazy.

Nope, agents don't want to do this.  It also affects their commission.  

I now book directly with NCL as price drops are easier to get.  

35 minutes ago, Umbarger said:

Yeah....I understand.  But the perks that I get from the TA were much better than a 25% credit on $25!  

5 hours ago, Hrhbob said:

My Joy Mexico cruise dropped $672 from when I booked it so I called my online TA who called NCL. We are 80 days out. She was told they would not give OBC as long as there were upgrades available which there were. We were upgraded from our BA to a B1 aft balcony. Not worth $672 but a darn sight better than nothing!

That’s exactly what my TA was told. Can’t believe the discrepancies. Some people get OBC, others get upgrades. Some people get perks added after final payment, some are told to fly a kite. Some people get upgrades just by asking. Don’t know what to believe anymore.

12 hours ago, Umbarger said:

Your TA was not a good one for even indicating that. Now, to be honest $25 isn't worth the effort to me, but to others it might be. BTW commissions are often paid shortly after final payments so I doubt that has anything to do with what the agent said. As a retired agent myself even though we work for commissions of course, repeat business is our livelihood. We do what we can to satisfy clients. 

If one is only going to get 25% OBC, it does take a rather substantial price drop to generate much OBC.  Some people do see such drops.  Personally, having typically booked lower end sailaway rates, when prices drop, I am looking for an opportunity to upgrade for a tiny fraction of the original cost.  I recently went from sailaway to a slightly nicer cabin with perks for a few dollars (plus gratuities on selected perks).  Not much time left but if prices drop more, there isn’t more room for me to move up.  To me, that was better than asking for a small OBC.  Obviously, some people may not have the option yo upgrade.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If one is only going to get 25% OBC, it does take a rather substantial price drop to generate much OBC.  Some people do see such drops.  Personally, having typically booked lower end sailaway rates, when prices drop, I am looking for an opportunity to upgrade for a tiny fraction of the original cost.  I recently went from sailaway to a slightly nicer cabin with perks for a few dollars (plus gratuities on selected perks).  Not much time left but if prices drop more, there isn’t more room for me to move up.  To me, that was better than asking for a small OBC.  Obviously, some people may not have the option yo upgrade.

I go for the best deal that pops up first. In this case the rooms that I considered better were extremely higher or sold out, so it was OBC.