NCL's Maths

KeithJenner

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Today’s update.

I called in to NCL and the person I was speaking to at the weekend isn’t working today. Someone else looked into the current situation for me and said it is currently with Miami and they will be responding directly.

I’m not particularly pleased that I had to call to get told that, as she had told me that someone would get back to me on Monday or Tuesday, but I’ll leave that for now.

Anyway, I think I will give them a couple of days to respond. In the meantime I I’ll compose an email to send at the end of the week if I haven’t heard anything. That email will be to give them one final chance to respond to me or I will register a complaint with ABTA, or something similar to that.

Also research how to report something to the office of your state Attorney General.

And if you can get the details from another passenger that shows they got a 1/12 reduction of total fare, so you can show a side by side comparison, do that!

Another update.

My pricing has changed.

In fact, the cruise fare is now slightly lower than I was expecting, but also shows that I owe some money, so I think that they are still working on it. The main thing is that they are working on it and now seem to have moved on from just saying that the revised fare is correct.

I'll check it again in the morning, but it seems we are finally getting somewhere.

• Like 1

OK, I've just looked through the revised figures.

Firstly, they have pro-rated the entire fare without adjusting for free at sea. This was a debatable point, and the method they have gone for is better for me, so I'm happy with that.

Secondly, they have made an error in that they have pro-rated the revised fare rather than the original. As a result, they have given us that £15 per person reduction (or at least 1/12 of it) twice. The result is that they have reduced our fare by £41 too much

However, the amount showing as paid has reduced by £300, meaning that it shows we actually owe £36. I am assuming that this is another "change fee" which has sneaked onto the reservation as happened right at the beginning of all this. Last time they sorted that out over the phone so I'm hoping that will be the case again this time.

I'm going to give it a while to see if anyone phones me, and will call later otherwise. I will mention the error, but I doubt they will do anything about that. Hopefully they will sort the change fee and then we will be done.

• Like 1

Keith,

When you get the actual figures from NCL (which I can't understand why NCL in Southampton could not give you) can you take into consideration the Port Charges and something called

NCF which seems to be an American charge.

The pro-rated Free at Sea won't amount to much.

Also hidden in my package is the NCL shared transport from port to airport cost  for two (which isn't going to happen) .

Hope you have something sorted later today - I'll check back in to CC this evening.

6 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Keith,

When you get the actual figures from NCL (which I can't understand why NCL in Southampton could not give you) can you take into consideration the Port Charges and something called

NCF which seems to be an American charge.

The pro-rated Free at Sea won't amount to much.

Also hidden in my package is the NCL shared transport from port to airport cost  for two (which isn't going to happen) .

Hope you have something sorted later today - I'll check back in to CC this evening.

I can confirm that the only thing which hasn't been pro-rated is the port fees and taxes (£123 each). Everything else has been included.

Just before I sign off on this thread, I will give one final update.

I just received a phone call from someone at NCL apologising for the problems, and recognising that they didn't deal with my issue properly. She said that the booking was still not right because of the balance showing as outstanding, but that they were looking into it and would get it fully sorted as soon as possible. I made the point that I understand that errors happen, and my main issue has been that they were just telling me that it was correct, rather than actually looking into it. She agreed that this wasn't acceptable.

I have to say that since I spoke to the person on Saturday they have done a fairly good job.

• Like 2

result,  

On the UK legal side it gets a bit complicated.

First you have the regulations

it would probably come down to the interpretation of of the options when there is a major change.

1. cancel full refund with all costs covered. 

2. replacement holiday of same or better value at no extra cost.

3. replacement holiday of lower value with refund.

Then you have the contract, they offered prorata  + hotel or OBC

(that cannot be less than the legal options)

Worth a read of the package holiday regulations and the ABTA code of conduct.

even if you book cruise only it is considered a package under the regulations.

When you see cruise lines offering a cap on air change fees you can actually claim full costs under the regulations.

Most of the time the major cruise lines are pretty good at offering something decent when things go wrong or change. 

Often enough to fix the current cruise crisis and future cruise credits. 

VIking set a new benchmark after their Ocean incident with the Sky in March, other cruise lines should take note 

P&O and Marella do have a reputation of being difficult to deal with and get any reasonable compensation when they make changes