Taking Wine Aboard when Departing from Canada

santanna

I have been assuming that I can carry on as much wine as I want and pay corkage on but someone just asked me about taking wine through US customs when departing from Canada. 

According to Google searches, you can only take 1.5 L into the US from Canada. Does this apply to cruises as well? 

If you are entering the USA to get on a cruise ship, then yes it applies. Only 1.5 litres can be brought across border. You can of course purchase wine in the USA and bring on cruise ship when paying corkage. Each person over 21 in the same stateroom are allowed 1-750ml bottle at no charge to be enjoyed in your stateroom.

Edited by freestyling

Yes. We are boarding in Vancouver for the Panama Canal.

Thanks, everyone. I have the answer. Same policy applies as it would when boarding in the US. You can take as much as you like and pay corkage because the wine will not be leaving the ship.

Edited by santanna
To clarify.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, santanna said:

Yes. We are boarding in Vancouver for the Panama Canal.

Thanks, everyone. I have the answer. Same policy applies as it would when boarding in the US. You can take as much as you like and pay corkage because the wine will not be leaving the ship.

That is the HAL policy. What is the US Customs policy before you board your ship in Vancouver (assuming your first port will be in the USA)?

Educated guess, since I've never tried this: 

Since you, the wine, and the ship are all in Canada, and the ship is a foreign entity, so long as you aren't bringing the wine ashore in Alaska, then US Customs wouldn't get involved. 
The wine is never entering the US.

The US procedure you are going through in Vancouver is Immigration, not Customs. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Educated guess, since I've never tried this: 

Since you, the wine, and the ship are all in Canada, and the ship is a foreign entity, so long as you aren't bringing the wine ashore in Alaska, then US Customs wouldn't get involved. 
The wine is never entering the US.

The US procedure you are going through in Vancouver is Immigration, not Customs. 

I believe this is correct.  I’ve never been questioned about my wine on the ship in the various countries I have visited that were foreign to the one I boarded on.  They are more concerned about what you are bringing ashore and your legitimacy IMO.

• Like 1

We took a 42 day cruise Vancouver to Auckland last September. We boarded with 24 bottles of wine. We payed corkage on 22 bottles. 2 bottles are allowed but must be consumed in your stateroom We were able to consume the 22 bottles anywhere on the ship. The dinning room stored the unconsumed wine and served it to us the next night. This is not a problem. Just declare your wine after you clear security. Your bottles will be marked to show corkage was paid. We saved a ton of money. Ps we bought another case in Honolulu.  Same process.