New Year Cruise

AndyMichelle

9 hours ago, Twogaterz said:

This will be my first time on a P&O cruise (Ventura) plus the first without my husband who died in the summer. I’m bringing my disabled adult son as he loves a party and we went to a great ‘do’ last new year with his late father.  Is there usually  a gala dinner on New Year’s Eve as well as a party? There’s nothing in the info online about the format but the adverts for Christmas and New Year suggest lots of celebration and fun. The P&O sales lady said the pool with the retractable cover would be operational & presumably heated (with cover over!) so can anyone confirm this? I hope it is as swimming /jacuzzis are  favourite activities for my son. 

Sorry to hear of your sad loss of your husband.

We have done 2 fantastic new years cruises on Ventura and there is a Gala Dinner and dancing in the Atrium on deck 5.

The retractable roof on Ventura is a big plus and the hot tubs are very popular.

On each occasion there was a Piper at midnight to celebrate the new year and the music played till 1am.

You will both have a fantastic time.

Graham

• Like 1

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it a bit more now, although I have been a bit concerned as some of the recent reviews of Ventura are less than complimentary and I’d not studied them before booking. However I have several friends who have done P&O cruises and rave about them. Previously John (my late husband) and I enjoyed cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity (just once), NCL, Cunard, Silverseas and my most recent trip was on Royal Princess last year (which was fantastic). I think I fancied a more ‘English’ experience this time around! 

Edited by Twogaterz

28 minutes ago, Twogaterz said:

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it a bit more now, although I have been a bit concerned as some of the recent reviews of Ventura are less than complimentary and I’d not studied them before booking. However I have several friends who have done P&O cruises and rave about them. Previously John (my late husband) and I enjoyed cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity (just once), NCL, Cunard, Silverseas and my most recent trip was on Royal Princess last year (which was fantastic). I think I fancied a more ‘English’ experience this time around! 

P&O will feel very British in comparison. 

It is a different experience to what you are used to but thousands of us manage to have a fantastic time. 

It is down to expectations really, many complainers say standards have dropped, but so have the prices. 

The other half complain about it being too formal and don't want to dress up. Some complain about both... 

We think it is a good balance. 

In our experience, you get great service, good food, plenty of entertainment and a clean, comfortable cabin. 

Relax, don't worry and have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Twogaterz said:

We were on Ventura in August this year for 7 nights and had a fantastic time.

The shows were great,the service in the bars and restaurants was great and our balcony cabin at the back of the ship was great.

We have done 52 cruises mainly RC and P&O plus Princess and NCL and my opinion of Ventura who we have sailed on 5 times is very good so don't worry and just look forward to a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Twogaterz said:

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband Twogaterz. 

You will always find that some of the reviews you read or hear aren't very complimentary, but those shared are very few compared to the number of passengers who have sailed on the ships. You will also find that passenger opinion is based upon what they expected and wanted out of the cruise and ship, which may exceed the P&O product and service.

As my mum and dad always say, and they are back on Ventura for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, a cruise is what you make it. 

I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your son.

Best wishes

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 5:24 PM, kenhem said:

I keep hoping they will reinstate the New Year's cruise to the Canaries,  the one that used to leave Southampton on 28 / 29 December. But it's a few years since P&O did one of these so it looks like that ship has sailed, or not as is the case. Much better to spend New Year's eve somewhere warm so you could be out on deck or on your balcony watching the firework display, and a bonus if that was in Madeira. Plus it meant you can spend Xmas with the family at home.

Arcadia is going to the Canaries but it’s Christmas and New Year. Iona is too but will be in Vigo for NYE so no idea what the celebrations are like there!

23 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Arcadia is going to the Canaries but it’s Christmas and New Year. Iona is too but will be in Vigo for NYE so no idea what the celebrations are like there!

Thanks for your suggestions but we prefer to spend Xmas with our children, so it's New Year only option for us. Anywhere warmish would suit us.

2 hours ago, kenhem said:

Thanks for your suggestions but we prefer to spend Xmas with our children, so it's New Year only option for us. Anywhere warmish would suit us.

Totally  understand, what a shame they don’t do that now.

23 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

P&O will feel very British in comparison. 

It is a different experience to what you are used to but thousands of us manage to have a fantastic time. 

It is down to expectations really, many complainers say standards have dropped, but so have the prices. 

The other half complain about it being too formal and don't want to dress up. Some complain about both... 

We think it is a good balance. 

In our experience, you get great service, good food, plenty of entertainment and a clean, comfortable cabin. 

Relax, don't worry and have a great time. 

Andy 

Thank you!  You’re right a cruise (& indeed any holiday) is what you make it. I love getting dressed up, my son enjoys the glitz and glamour and in my experience you’re more likely to get good service if you’re charming to the crew! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We were on Ventura in August this year for 7 nights and had a fantastic time.

The shows were great,the service in the bars and restaurants was great and our balcony cabin at the back of the ship was great.

We have done 52 cruises mainly RC and P&O plus Princess and NCL and my opinion of Ventura who we have sailed on 5 times is very good so don't worry and just look forward to a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

Thanks- that’s good to hear. Wow that is a lot of cruises. How wonderful 😊

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband Twogaterz. 

You will always find that some of the reviews you read or hear aren't very complimentary, but those shared are very few compared to the number of passengers who have sailed on the ships. You will also find that passenger opinion is based upon what they expected and wanted out of the cruise and ship, which may exceed the P&O product and service.

As my mum and dad always say, and they are back on Ventura for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, a cruise is what you make it. 

I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your son.

Best wishes

Thank you for your kind words. You’re so right about reviews and of course the number of passengers. My daughter always says to me she’d be worried if there weren’t any bad reviews!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twogaterz said:

Thank you!  You’re right a cruise (& indeed any holiday) is what you make it. I love getting dressed up, my son enjoys the glitz and glamour and in my experience you’re more likely to get good service if you’re charming to the crew! 

Anywhere in life, if you are nice to people they tend to be nice back. 

We too like dressing up, see you on the dance floor. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Anywhere in life, if you are nice to people they tend to be nice back. 

We too like dressing up, see you on the dance floor. 

Andy 

Thank you! Hopefully I will make it to the dance floor! I’ll be easy to spot,  I’ll be the one with a lad in a wheelchair resisting my efforts to get him dancing. 😂

11 hours ago, Twogaterz said:

Thank you! Hopefully I will make it to the dance floor! I’ll be easy to spot,  I’ll be the one with a lad in a wheelchair resisting my efforts to get him dancing. 😂

I'm sure he will love it... 

He can always sit with us while you have a boogie if he really doesn't want to dance. 

Andy 

On 10/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, AndyMichelle said:

I'm sure he will love it... 

He can always sit with us while you have a boogie if he really doesn't want to dance. 

Andy 

That is so sweet of you - thank you. He loves people watching, or doing one of his word search books with a mandatory coke to hand, and usually prefers not to be embarrassed by his mother twirling him around.  Celebrating New Year is going to be one of the ‘firsts’ so just enjoying the party will be important for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Twogaterz said:

That is so sweet of you - thank you. He loves people watching, or doing one of his word search books with a mandatory coke to hand, and usually prefers not to be embarrassed by his mother twirling him around.  Celebrating New Year is going to be one of the ‘firsts’ so just enjoying the party will be important for me. 

You will find the majority of passengers friendly and helpful and I'm sure the atmosphere will be great. 

We are people watchers too, so he will be in the right company. 

Andy