Chiefdog

Chiefdog

Although Butchart Gardens is lovely during the day  some friends were there just a few weeks ago and said it was poorly lit and  felt  there was not much to see in the evening. Might want to save the gardens for a day time visit.  

7 hours ago, waltd said:

Although Butchart Gardens is lovely during the day  some friends were there just a few weeks ago and said it was poorly lit and  felt  there was not much to see in the evening. Might want to save the gardens for a day time visit.  

Bummer. When we were there during the day we were told the gardens are "spectacular" at night. I know the gardens were awesome during the day and would be greatly disappointed to find I had been misled regarding the nighttime visitations.

Butchart does have lights and some folks really enjoy the gardens after dark - personally I go to a garden to see the plants though and the artificial lights are woeful compared to daylight for that purpose (you can see the plants close to the walkways OK, but anything more distant gets less and less distinct). Unfortunately unless it's a Fri/Sat in peak summer even the Royal BC Museum is closed for entry, so you can see the outside of the various buildings a few posts above but you can't get inside much of anything after 5pm except touristy shops (and pubs & restos of course).

Victoria is a pretty city though - a bus or carriage tour, or just walking around at night, is absolutely worthwhile if you haven't been there but with a really short and late timeslot like OPs, I'd skip the gardens unless it's a fireworks night (no extra charge for those, which means every other day of the year the tickets cost more than they should to subsidize the lucky folks who get the 'free' show!!!)

Just now, Thrak said:

Bummer. When we were there during the day we were told the gardens are "spectacular" at night. I know the gardens were awesome during the day and would be greatly disappointed to find I had been misled regarding the nighttime visitations.

Thrak get a few more opinions before you make up your mind.    My friends are just one.    They did claim the lighting was not that great.