Insignia Outdoor Space Question

CabinBoy2020

I'm considering a Panama Canal cruise on the Insignia (Dec 2020).  This would be my first Oceania cruise.  I've looked at the deck plans and one "deficiency", in my opinion, is the lack of a wrap around promenade deck for walking or just relaxing with a book.  I see the usual pool areas and a small looking fitness track but am wondering if there are plenty of outdoor places (covered and uncovered) on the ship.  I like to look at the sea, the scenery, and enjoy relaxing in a quiet atmosphere outside.  The other ship I'm considering is the HAL Rotterdam.  I've sailed on her sister ship Volendam and loved the promenade deck.  On the other hand, I'd like to try Oceania and love the idea of a smaller ship.  Also hoping the food is better!

Thanks for any comments you experienced Oceania cruisers can offer!

Bill

there is no promenade deck on O ships 

if this  is  a "must  have"  then you will be disappointed

There is  some space to sit under the lifeboats on deck 5  which is quite nice to water the ocean  with less traffic

SHHH do not tell anyone  though 😉

• Like 2

Considering the size of the ship, there is lots of outdoor space.  As noted there is some space for sitting on deck 5.  The pool deck is all windowed with lots of sitting options.   The area near the windows is covered by the upper deck while the area near the pool is open to the sun.  Even on sea days we found space and it was not noisy.  The aft area of the buffet dining area offers outdoor sitting.  Not nice to sit and read there during meal times but alright other times.  The deck above the pool offers a track with limited sitting.  There is a large forward indoor lounge that is good if the weather is poor. It is usually quiet but sometimes has events like bingo or afternoon tea.   The forward sports deck gets very little use - about an hour a day when used for shuffleboard and mini golf but there are also some lounge chairs up there.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The information is very helpful about the ship and outdoor places.  I'm leaning toward booking this cruise (probably tomorrow).  Can anyone comment on a comparison between Oceania and Holland America?  Particularly food and music.  Thanks so much.

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Interesting I am doing my retirement cruise on that itinerary..

Jancruz1

Congratulations Jancruz!  I retired a couple years ago and it is truly the best!  For one thing, I can plan these wonderful cruises.  

Bill

• Like 1

Jancruz, enjoy retirement but continue to post here from time to time. 

I found the deck above the pool on the "R" ship fine for walking early in the am and sometimes at night.  The pool deck can do in light rain.  If the weather is cool, Horizons is a good place to watch the scenery with the big windows on the back and side and also comfortable for reading except at cocktail and special event times.  Get there early if it is a good sail in or out and some other special scenery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CabinForOne said:

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The information is very helpful about the ship and outdoor places.  I'm leaning toward booking this cruise (probably tomorrow).  Can anyone comment on a comparison between Oceania and Holland America?  Particularly food and music.  Thanks so much.

no comparison on food ...O has better quality

• Like 1

I met a friend and his wife who came through on a HAL cruise, and they said the same thing DW and I felt -- that the food on HAL was a big disappointment, and that the specialty restaurants were not any better than their MDR but they charged extra.  IMHO there is simply no comparison on the food -- Oceania excels when it comes to the food, and the specialty dining rooms are indeed special.

The smaller passenger load is also a big plus.

• Like 1

A quick update:  I went ahead and booked this 16 day Panama Canal cruise for Dec 2020.  It will be my first Oceania cruise.  Over the next couple years, I'm also booked on two other new lines for me - Ponant and Crystal.  It will be fun to compare and contrast these cruise lines, but I know I'll find plenty to like about each experience.  For Oceania, I'm most looking forward to (besides itinerary) a beautiful smaller ship, wonderful crew, and delicious and imaginative food.  THANK YOU to everyone who offered insights and opinions!  It was very helpful.  Happy Sailing!