OTC meds available onboard

kcl57

15 hours ago, WickedRed said:

Just a word of warning.  Do not buy a bottle of liquid NyQuil at port and try to bring it on the ship.  Or try with the knowledge it may not make it onboard.  I watched a guy argue with security last may trying to bring some on in Bermuda.  His wife was sick.  He was livid when security told him he couldn't bring it on, and it had to go in the naughty liquid bin.  I felt for the guy. 

In that unpleasant situation call for the ships medical staff to intervene or someone in authority to override security.

Stand you ground and make an issue of it. Albeit security is right to seize Nyquil as it does have alcohol in it but

it is not libation alcohol but medicinal - exceptions MUST be made for medicine ! 

Suggestion since the bottle is all plastic and would not be detected by the security equipment stuff it in your pocket

and pass thru the body metal detection scanner rather than the screening device for WMD (weapons of mass destruction) !

Damn I hate that when NCL Security is ignorant of the differences between OTC medicines and booze !!!

On 10/2/2019 at 11:25 AM, Corby114 said:

So much better and so much cheaper to purchase over the counter medicines from home. Bring a small bag with aspirin, cold tablets, suntan lotion, etc. Most items sold in the gift shop are over double the price and there is normally limited selection of items available.

I am pretty much a traveling pharmacy. My wife is always trying to get me to cut down on what we bring, but if you are in the middle of the Atlantic and you need it, you want to have it with you. 

• Like 1

don't-use-real-name I think it was more a matter of it being a liquid than anything about alcohol.  Doesn't matter what the liquid is water, booze, coffee, iced tea, liquid cough syrup security will most likely confiscate it upon boarding especially at a foreign port. 

Though on that same cruise and port.  I watched security return a small @  2" folding pocket knife to a passenger with a warning to leave it in his room or else security would have to confiscate it if he sees it again. 

I'm generally a walking pharmacy when I travel.  Allergies, migraines, general clumsiness...  Need to be prepared.  lol

23 hours ago, WickedRed said:

Just a word of warning.  Do not buy a bottle of liquid NyQuil at port and try to bring it on the ship.  Or try with the knowledge it may not make it onboard.  I watched a guy argue with security last may trying to bring some on in Bermuda.  His wife was sick.  He was livid when security told him he couldn't bring it on, and it had to go in the naughty liquid bin.  I felt for the guy. 

On my last 2 cruises..out of NYC..I informed security at scanner that I had a sealed bottle of NyQuill in my CPAP bag. They had no problem with it.  PS--after 2 cruises of getting respiratory infections, I never travel without NyQuil .