Staying on the Ship in Colon?

Maysel

Do many opt to just stay on the ship when docked in Colon?  The excursions all seem far away.  I really don't want to pay to be on a bus for 3 hours.  I was thinking of just staying on the ship and enjoying it without the crowds.

9 minutes ago, Maysel said:

Do many opt to just stay on the ship when docked in Colon?  The excursions all seem far away.  I really don't want to pay to be on a bus for 3 hours.  I was thinking of just staying on the ship and enjoying it without the crowds.

Hi

You never have to leave the ship on port days. 

If you have been to Panama many times before and feel you have seen all you want to see, then maybe there is no reason to get off the ship. It's up to you. If you have never been before then one would wonder why you choose to go all the way to Panama. It's not like you would be able to say you saw Panama. 

Whether other people stay on the ship or not shouldn't have any bearing on your decision.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

If your ship doesn't transit or part-transit the Panama Canal its well worth an excursion by train (follows the canal) or boat (the canal from Lake Gatun to Panama).

but if you want to stick around, yes stay on the ship or the bars outside the port gate (free wifi).

But IMHO the town of Colon is pretty dire and not worth the effort

JB 😶

• Like 1

Colon is pretty dire, as JB says, and fairly rough, but if we hadn’t got off the ship and looked around a little bit, DH would never have got his taxi-driver’s Caribbean shirt.  It’s everything you would want in an excruciatingly vivid tropical print, with sunsets, palm trees and ocean waves!  He gets a lot of comments whenever he wears it. 😄

If you like wildlife, there were turkey vultures on every street corner, because there was a lot of rubbish on every street corner.  We practically had to shoo them out of the way.  I have a soft spot for vultures, so it was actually a high point to see so many so close up. I think they’re handsome, in an odd sort of way, and they’re very useful as scavengers.  

If you go walking around on your own, I’d make sure there are at least two of you, preferably more, don’t carry a lot of money, don’t wear your nice watches or jewellery, and don’t go too far into the back alleys.  No one gave us a hard time, but we got some looks.

Colon was my first ever port of call and we were advised not to go ashore in groups of less than a 1/2 dozen and to stay on the main streets.

Leaving the port, at the first building we saw 1 chap playing with a gun and another sharpening a knife, while staring at us. Did a 180 and returned to the safety of the ship. Colon/Cristobal might have improved slightly over the years, but still not the safest port for independent exploration.

10 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Just read a little bit about this place, that I had never heard of.

Sounds extremely dodgy, and bodes the question why a cruise ship would ever dock there.

Most common reason for visiting Colon was cheap bunkers.

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

but if you want to stick around, yes stay on the ship or the bars outside the port gate (free wifi).

As someone who has spent extensive time in the developing world, please dear god don't use the free WiFi, even if it's "secured". It's often not worth the potential risk. 

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Sounds extremely dodgy, and bodes the question why a cruise ship would ever dock there.

While "dodgy" is probably a kind understatement to describe Colon, it is the Atlantic front door to the Canal.  On the positive side there is nothing inherently unsafe about going through Colon on your way to any of the sights of interest on the Canal or other areas of Panama.  A ship's tour is just as safe as a private tour guide or even a taxi... you just really should not venture into Colon on your own.  Seeing and touring the Canal and Panama can be rewarding... lots to see and enjoy, don't let Colon dissuade you!

If anyone would like to experience a little of Colon with out the risk of losing anything other than your time... have a look at the James Bond movie "Quantum of Solace".  The earlier part of the movie is set in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, these scenes were actually shot in Colon.  Speaks volumes when a city is the stunt double for a place like Port-au- Prince.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Because people wants to see the Panama canal locks.. Without the canal all cruise ships would just sail by in a distance from Colon.