MSC debit card hold amount at ceck in

islandguy

I couldn't find anything about this in search. Does anyone know the amount MSC puts on hold for a 4 day cruise.

I'm not sailing until May 2020 but planning ahead and want to be prepared.

Thank you for the info and happy sailing 

26 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Hi. On my 7 day cruise the hold was €320. Imagine 4 day would be less but I'm not sure. Ken

Hi Ken ... that's interesting.  They usually put a 'hold' of €250 on our credit card (well, that's what the machine says, anyway).

Are you going to do a review of your trip?

I hope I didn't confuse the issue by mentioning credit card - I knew you were talking about a debit card, islandguy, which is why I didn't answer you as I only ever register credit cards onboard so didn't know the answer.  I was just surprised that they put a hold of a higher amount on a debit card, is all.

Thanks Beamsafar. I've seen higher amounts for debit cards. So just curious.  With a very limited income I'm planning on what amount to save ahead of the cruise.  I think I have the info to help me. Thank you everyone for the help

7 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Ken ... that's interesting.  They usually put a 'hold' of €250 on our credit card (well, that's what the machine says, anyway).

Are you going to do a review of your trip?

I don't think so, Bea, it seems like such effort. I'm busy with work and tax deadline is looming. I may try it this week.

Hope hubby is well mended and llooking forward to your big trip! Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland

I've copied the following from a review of Seaside in case you don't read it there:

...  DO NOT use a Debit card to secure your onboard account. In case you missed the last sentence, DO NOT use a debit card to secure your onboard account.

MSC does make it easy for a customer to use a debit card and select a debit amount of their choosing in increments of $100.  However, if you have any funds remaining on your account after it’s been settled, you have to go to the Customer Service desk to have the funds returned to you in cash. They will not credit your account. They also will not return the funds on the spot. We found this out the hard way. You will have to wait until after 6:00pm to complete the transaction, along with 200-300 other people waiting in line. They actually distribute boxes of currency to the customer service reps to process refunds. 

• Like 1

Thank you again Beamafar.   I had been considering using a cash deposit and this made my choice.  I will still need to wait in line for my refund but at least it won't mess with my account. I wont be putting much on my cruise card any way.

Thank you all who replied to my question even if I did misspell check in.  Enjoy your next cruise.

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

MSC does make it easy for a customer to use a debit card and select a debit amount of their choosing in increments of $100.  However, if you have any funds remaining on your account after it’s been settled, you have to go to the Customer Service desk to have the funds returned to you in cash. They will not credit your account.

Not our experience on Meraviglia. They put a hold on our DC of €320, our total onboard charges were €270 and the exact amount adjusted/debited about 3 days later. I used a Revolut DC so it's a prepaid card, no link to bank account. Only reason I did not use a CC was that I or the CC co. goofed up my PIN number after getting a new card. It is still not sorted. Ken

3 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Not our experience on Meraviglia. They put a hold on our DC of €320, our total onboard charges were €270 and the exact amount adjusted/debited about 3 days later. I used a Revolut DC so it's a prepaid card, no link to bank account. Only reason I did not use a CC was that I or the CC co. goofed up my PIN number after getting a new card. It is still not sorted. Ken

What a nuisance!

I did have an issue one time with a credit card registered to our shipboard account.  About 2 days in, I was ordering a drink and there was a problem.  I went to Guest Services and was told that I'd have to register my card again as they had only sought a hold of €250 against it (despite it being a credit card).  Another time was because I'd forgotten to register a card lol.  It's so easy to overlook doing it now that you have to DIY it.  I usually put my cards and money in the safe as soon as we get to the cabin and I keep forgetting to bring it with me to register it!  🙄

Forgetting to link to other cabin occupant's Cruise Card to the account also results in a cute attention grabber when one goes to disembark.  One gets to be directed to go to the cashiers, loudly, in front of the other 24000 guests waiting their turn to get off the ship.  Lovely.

7 hours ago, Beamafar said:

What a nuisance!

I did have an issue one time with a credit card registered to our shipboard account.  About 2 days in, I was ordering a drink and there was a problem.  I went to Guest Services and was told that I'd have to register my card again as they had only sought a hold of €250 against it (despite it being a credit card).  Another time was because I'd forgotten to register a card lol.  It's so easy to overlook doing it now that you have to DIY it.  I usually put my cards and money in the safe as soon as we get to the cabin and I keep forgetting to bring it with me to register it!  🙄

Pain alright. Said CC was declined twice today(I was testing it) so I'll have to get on to them. Not long til you're off now, Bea.

Yeah ... Wednesday week we're flying out to NY, embarking 2 days later on the Friday.  Never been to NY before so really looking forward to it.  So many places on the itinerary we've never been to, either, so should be a great trip, overall. 

On 10/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, Beamafar said:

Yeah ... Wednesday week we're flying out to NY, embarking 2 days later on the Friday.  Never been to NY before so really looking forward to it.  So many places on the itinerary we've never been to, either, so should be a great trip, overall. 

Bon Voyage, Bea! I'll be tracking you!

11 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Bon Voyage, Bea! I'll be tracking you!

Go raibh míle maith agat, a chara!  At the moment, I'm tracking the reports on the chaotic situation in New York today regarding embarkation, so not looking forward to that element of the trip.  It appears to have been a nightmare - even for those with priority boarding.  Oh well, I'll have 23 nights onboard to recover from the ordeal, should there be one.

Boarding for us has been advised on our tickets as between 1pm and 5pm.  For once, I may be following instructions.  In fact, I may leave it 'til 4.50pm to arrive - I imagine I'd experience the swiftest embarkation ever should I pull that one!  😜