Seward hotels help needed

Mountaineer0313

I'm planning our 2nd Alaska cruise for next year. We'll be flying into Anchorage and landing at about noon on Wednesday and the plan is to get on a bus/rent a car(price dependent) and head straight to Seward when we arrive. Our cruise doesn't leave until Friday at 8 pm, so we'll need a hotel for 2 nights. Doing a Major Marine Kenai fjords national park cruise is on our list, but otherwise, I'm not sure what we'll do. Technically we'll only have evening time on Wednesday and Thursday and then a good bit of day Friday since the ship doesn't leave until 8 pm.  Is staying right at the harbor and paying $300+ a night worth it for the convenience? Looking at Harbor 360 or Breeze inn, or the Harborview Inn Hotel. and suggestions on hotels, and/or things to do or see while in Seward for a few days.

I can only say it wouldn't be worth it to me.   Seward is a small town .... only about  1 1/2 miles from the harbor to downtown so I wouldn't need to stay right AT the harbor.  I can walk, take the free shuttle (if there's a ship in town), or a cab for $5/$6 to get around. 

If you want less expensive lodging, look at hotels or B&B's near downtown, or between downtown and the harbor.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

We stayed at Harborview Inn at Seward a couple years ago.  It's about half-way between downtown and the harbor.  The room was very neat, clean and tidy but it wasn't huge.  There was everything one needs; microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, etc.  There's plenty of free parking.  We paid $169 per night - I think that included tax.  We thought it was perfect for us and would definitely stay there again. 

The SeaLife Center is very nice.  I would suggest a visit there.  One evening we rode out Lowell Point Road (south from downtown - it's the street that is exactly beside the SeaLife Center) which hugs the shore of Resurrection Bay.  We could see a few whales maybe 50 yards out feeding - they surfaced, blew and dived several times while we sat on the rocks watching. Very cool and totally free.  I know it was pure luck, but you never know when you'll see something like that.

The Seward area is nice.  The Breeze Inn restaurant has very good breakfast and there's a small seafood place on the north corner of the same block that has good food.  (They've got a jalapeno tartar sauce to go with their fried halibut & chips that was different and excellent.)

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

8 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

But the question is ..... is it worth $300 a night ?

I've stayed at both Breeze Inn (this past February) and Harborview.  If they were priced exactly the same (whatever the price), I would pick Harborview Inn.  When we stayed there during the month of June the price of Breeze Inn was around the $300 - they are evidently pricing it because of its location.  I didn't care for the Breeze Inn room as much as the one at Harborview.  Harborview Inn was $169.  I didn't stay at Harborview in February because they are closed during the winter.  Others may have a completely different opinion.

2 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

We stayed at Harborview Inn at Seward a couple years ago.  It's about half-way between downtown and the harbor.  The room was very neat, clean and tidy but it wasn't huge.  There was everything one needs; microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, etc.  There's plenty of free parking.  We paid $169 per night - I think that included tax.  We thought it was perfect for us and would definitely stay there again. 

The SeaLife Center is very nice.  I would suggest a visit there.  One evening we rode out Lowell Point Road (south from downtown - it's the street that is exactly beside the SeaLife Center) which hugs the shore of Resurrection Bay.  We could see a few whales maybe 50 yards out feeding - they surfaced, blew and dived several times while we sat on the rocks watching. Very cool and totally free.  I know it was pure luck, but you never know when you'll see something like that.

The Seward area is nice.  The Breeze Inn restaurant has very good breakfast and there's a small seafood place on the north corner of the same block that has good food.  (They've got a jalapeno tartar sauce to go with their fried halibut & chips that was different and excellent.)

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

I think the harborview sounds like it would work just fine for us. The sea life center is for sure on the list, probably on Friday before we get on the ship, unless they’re open in the evenings. We’re only taking 9 days this year total, last year we did 12, so I’m kind of bummed to not have those few extra days but I think the next Alaska trip will be land only and hit a lot of the things we won’t have time for when taking a cruise. Thanks!

We stayed at Harbor 360 in 2018 right after they finished their remodel. The hotel is nice and they will send your luggage to the ship for you which makes it very easy the day you board. We did a Kenai Fjords tour the morning our ship left and then just took the free shuttle to the pier. I would say it's similar to a Holiday Inn express. You are mostly paying for the location though. We would book it again, but I would not pay extra and book a Harbor view. We had rain/fog the entire time we were there. The other downside to this hotel is that while it is easy walking distance from the train (we just took that down), but it is a bit of hike to the downtown Seward area. There is a free shuttle though during the day.

Our preferred hotel in Seward is the Harbor 360.  We have stayed at the property when it was a Holiday Inn Express and also since it was purchased by the folks who own Major Marine (which is why they offer Major Marine excursions and hotel stay packages).  

We also have stayed at the Best Western Edgewater, but prefer the Harbor 360.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:26 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

I think the harborview sounds like it would work just fine for us. The sea life center is for sure on the list, probably on Friday before we get on the ship, unless they’re open in the evenings. We’re only taking 9 days this year total, last year we did 12, so I’m kind of bummed to not have those few extra days but I think the next Alaska trip will be land only and hit a lot of the things we won’t have time for when taking a cruise. Thanks!

SeaLife Center Hours:

Sep 27, 2019 - Feb 23, 2020

Open Daily* 12:00 - 5:00

Feb 24, 2020 - May 21, 2020

Open Daily 10:00 - 5:00

May 22, 2020 - August 16, 2020

M-T-W-Th 9:00 - 9:00

F-S-S 8:00 - 9:00

Aug 17, 2020 - Sep 7, 2020

M-T-W-Th 9:00 - 5:00

F-S-S 8:00 - 5:00

Sep 8, 2020 - Sep 24, 2020

Open Daily 10:00 - 5:00

Sep 25, 2020 - Feb 28, 2021

Open Daily* 12:00 - 5:00

*Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day

Edited by SuperCrewBear

We stayed at Hotel Seward which was nicely located to the Sea life Center as well as downtown and the free bus.  They have rooms with shared bathrooms and, of course, rooms with private bathrooms.  I believe we paid under 250/night for private bath room.  They have a shuttle to the ship.  Rooms were nice and staff were informative

We stayed at the Breeze Inn last year and it was perfect.  The location was great and we could walk to many locations.  They had a shuttle to the ship and let us store our luggage in a locked room.  We only stayed one night, but we packed a lot into that timeframe! We did the 6 hour cruise with Major Marine (they tend to offer a 40% discount on Black Friday, so look for that!), Exit Glacier, helicopter/dog sledding and the Sea Life Center (paid extra to do the Puffin Encounter).

I don't remember the exact price, but it was neither the most nor least expensive hotel in Seward.  We had a beautiful view of the harbor and when we woke up in the morning, our ship was docked! I'd stay there again.

We stayed at the Seward Windsong ($180-$225/night) through a TA and they did all our baggage storage and can handle shuttle service to the marina for Major Marine and Kenai Fjords. It was a quiet place to stay with a nice restaurant (Resurrection Roadhouse) for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Although we had a rent car, they offered service to the marina for dinner, etc. I highly recommend dinner at Ray's Waterfront and Chinooks. Or lunch.

Edited by masterdrago