Costa Maya Nice Resort for the Day

bunny7

On 12/10/2019 at 2:30 AM, Losnab said:
On 12/10/2019 at 2:30 AM, Losnab said:

thanks for the heads up about Malecon5, I emailed and received  a super fast response .   Hope you enjoy your time there.   Would you mind following up with your feedback after your visit.

We we are not familiar with the area so any taxi or direction tips would also very much be appreciated. 

On 12/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, Houndfish said:

Went to malecon 21 a few weeks ago. Didn't go to the beach so don't know about the min purchase requirement. My wife and I stayed at the main bldg. Laid back many and comfy seating areas reasonable menu.  Had 4 beers and the total was $14 including tip. There was a group of euro college kids there that were studying, looked at their laptops, they will be there for another month or so. One was an architectural student and was working on a bldg design. 

Great place away from the busy area in central Malecon.

Thanks Houndfish for Malecon21 recommendation!

We enjoyed a great day there. Loungers are padded and comfortable with space between them. There was a $10pp purchase necessary to use loungers on the beach. It did get hot on the beach and we did move to the terrace In main building eventually where it was comfortable and cool. Good restroom facilities. Pleasant music from guitarist and keyboard player for tips. No seaweed for this visit. Easy beach entry. I didn’t snorkel but didn’t see many fish. Will definitely return.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, c-leg5 said:

We are going to try the new beach club at Malecon21 next week that requires $15 minimum purchase  for lounger. It is south of Tropicante.

Would love to hear your experience. Maya Chan is booked on our arrival date.

20 minutes ago, cfitch said:

Would love to hear your experience. Maya Chan is booked on our arrival date.

review in post above. We enjoyed our day.

Not AI like Maya Chan. Menu is online in their website.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, Single_dreamer said:

Google maps shows Maya Chan about 30 minutes from the port. Others have reported that it is a long drive. I think I will try to get to the Malecon - maybe Jaime's at Blue Reef, Krazy Lobster or Tropicante. Jaime's says she has an all inclusive, but I'm re-thinking my plan since I don't drink. I may not want to over-pay for a day out - but don't want to simply stay at the port. 

The Costa Maya port is different than most, as the receiving center at the end of the pier is built specifically for the cruise lines, it's not part of the town a few miles away.  The port "village" has shops and bars and a swimming pool with a sand "beach" and lounge chairs.  You can watch the dolphin show for free.  I was there twice in October and went on excursions both times that were amazing, but if I hadn't booked something and spent the day at the port village, it wouldn't have been so bad and better than some ports I've visited through the years.

The snorkeling at Maya Chan isn't very good. It is very murky and shallow for a couple hundred yards out. Basically nothing but seaweed and sand.  I suppose you would have to get out another hundred yards or more to get to where the waves break over the reef to see anything.  I swam out about 250 yards and was still a long way from the breakers.

The service and food were outstanding, the swimming/snorkeling not so much.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:45 PM, c-leg5 said:

review in post above. We enjoyed our day.

Hello! What address should we give to the taxi to arrive to Malecon 21, is it enough to say the name of the club? can we acess it through the tram? Thank you

Their address is on the malecon. But they are located in the Azul Oceano hotel.  If the tram or taxi driver doesn't recognize the name, tell him you want out at Sulumar or Mahahual Dive Centre. You just turn right when facing the ocean and walk down. Or tell the driver to take you to the end of the. Malecon at Machos Bar and the walk north. 1/2 block either way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, framboesa said:

Hello! What address should we give to the taxi to arrive to Malecon 21, is it enough to say the name of the club? can we acess it through the tram? Thank you

https://www.malecon21.com/contact-us

Download Google map from this link, zoom in and you will see all the places Crew mentioned. It is LEFT of Sulumar looking at the ocean. if the taxi doesn’t know Malecon21,  tell them it is between the Dive Center and Nohoch, which is an old club which I would think the taxis would know. 

I have no idea where the tram stops we have never taken it but It is at the end of the malecon so I would say the last stop. We got out at Pez Quadro, because we were sharing a taxi, and we knew where we were going. Taxis are now charging $4pp (or we got ripped off) so there was no benefit sharing and we would just insist on a taxi for two next time. Sounds like they are taking a lead from Cozumel taxis on doubling up on fares. 

16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

https://www.malecon21.com/contact-us

Download Google map from this link, zoom in and you will see all the places Crew mentioned. It is LEFT of Sulumar looking at the ocean. if the taxi doesn’t know Malecon21,  tell them it is between the Dive Center and Nohoch, which is an old club which I would think the taxis would know. 

I have no idea where the tram stops we have never taken it but It is at the end of the malecon so I would say the last stop. We got out at Pez Quadro, because we were sharing a taxi, and we knew where we were going. Taxis are now charging $4pp (or we got ripped off) so there was no benefit sharing and we would just insist on a taxi for two next time. Sounds like they are taking a lead from Cozumel taxis on doubling up on fares. 

Thank you very much for that information 🙂

20 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Their address is on the malecon. But they are located in the Azul Oceano hotel.  If the tram or taxi driver doesn't recognize the name, tell him you want out at Sulumar or Mahahual Dive Centre. You just turn right when facing the ocean and walk down. Or tell the driver to take you to the end of the. Malecon at Machos Bar and the walk north. 1/2 block either way.

Thank you, I will save your indications too 🙂

On 12/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, c-leg5 said:

Maya Chan feels a long way because of the road conditions,  not necessarily the distance.

I would recommend Tropicante for good, safe service and food. Be advised that bars along the malecon are shoulder to shoulder, often only separated by a rope or change of lounger colours. Be careful  not  to end up at El Faro next door - check waiters logo and the menu you are given.

We are going to try the new beach club at Malecon21 next week that requires $15 minimum purchase  for lounger. It is south of Tropicante.

How was Malecon21? We are thinking of there, Tropicante, or Pez Quadro. So torn! 

13 minutes ago, Teachwinemomma said:

How was Malecon21? We are thinking of there, Tropicante, or Pez Quadro. So torn! 

See post#26 above. 

The Malecon21 is probably most relaxing - guitarist and keyboard for tips.

We have done Tropicante twice recently and were ready for a change. Service is good there but loungers are closer together and more crowded. 

it has been many years since we went to Pez and I believe now they like to sell you a package (like many of the malecon beach bars) if you want the beach as opposed to just  restaurant area. It is probably the most lively of the three and popular with crew and younger people but as I said that is purely observation it is many years since we went.