Celebrity LeHavre Tours to Normandy 2020

Tyskie

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

(As an aside... Am I the only one who is put off by that name? The connotation to me is not good.)

The museum itself is being extended. I was there in May 2019, I’m not sure if the extensions were completed by June 2019 for the 75 th Anniversary of D- Day or whether it is a longer term project.

27A5B474-D741-4D26-A5F5-1D7828C369CF.jpeg

8 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The OP has repeatedly stated that they are SOLD OUT for her date.

(As an aside... Am I the only one who is put off by that name? The connotation to me is not good.)

I am not sure of what connotation you mean. The name OVERLORD was the code name for the D-DAY operation. It seems very appropriate to me.

If you are thinking that we as tourists are invading the area and are showing disrespect to all of the brave troops who fought and many who died there, you may have a point. I personally don’t take that position. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

I am not sure of what connotation you mean. The name OVERLORD was the code name for the D-DAY operation. It seems very appropriate to me.

If you are thinking that we as tourists are invading the area and are showing disrespect to all of the brave troops who fought and many who died there, you may have a point. I personally don’t take that position. 

Overlord as a tyrannical, despotic ruler is what I think of when I read/hear the term. I’m not into military stuff - even historical. 

I was on the Celebrity Reflection last June.  When it was time to book a private excursion from LeHavre to Normandy, Overlord was full.  Overlord recommended Jonathan at All About Normandy and he was available on one of the two days we were in port. We were a group of four couples traveling together so we were able to fill his 8-passenger van.  He picked us up at the cruise ship and spent 10 hours with us.  We went to Sainte Mere-Eglise, Ponte du Hoc, Utah and Omaha beaches, and the American Cemetery.  We had a very enjoyable and educational day and would definitely recommend him.  The trip cost just under 1,000 euros, but when splitting it four ways, it really was a good price. You can find the website at

allaboutNormandy.com.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, Tyskie said:

Choosing a ship sponsored tour to Normandy.  Looking for reviews/experiences with the following excursions:

D-Day Landing Beaches (Full Day) $114.75

The Beaches of Normandy $194.75

Beaches Exclusive - Small Group $304

Unfortunately how they are explained on the excursion list seems minimal (the D-Day Landing sounds the best but is Small Group the same???) 

Will also post on Ports of Call but this seems to be specific to Celebrity.  

And, yes, I know there are many excellent tour companies - however, DH is more comfortable with a cruise sponsored tour given the distance involved.

Thank you!!!

We normally take private tours, but because the Celebrity Normandy tour was a long one, with a lot of driving, we did it with X.

It was great and there was a lot of traffic at the port.  There was an accident blocking the road to the ship.  We were late getting back to the ship.

Be sure you include going to Bayeux and see the Bayeux Tapestry.  It is the 900 year old tapestry that tells the story of the Norman conquest of England.

• Like 1