Things you brought but never ended up using?

Funatabi

On 11/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, SRF said:

Google is your friend

5 seconds:

You would likely to end up with 3 separate things to take.

What is the main ingredient in DayQuil?
Active ingredients (in each LiquiCap) Purpose
Acetaminophen 325 mg Pain reliever/Fever reducer
Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg Cough suppressant
Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg

Nasal decongestant

Today I learned not to take DayQuil 🙂 Phenylephrine never works for me and I would rather take the individual meds separately rather than a combo at a less effective dosage (acetaminophen is usually 1g rather than only 325mg if I take).

My little packaged pharmacy. Thank God!

I put together a small package of OTC meds that gets thrown into our bag each trip. It contains Tylenol, ibuprofen, Sudafed (the good stuff), throat lozenges, cough drops, anti diarrhea meds, band aids antibiotic ointment and alcohol wipes.  I put this together a few years ago when we were going on a safari, but both DH and I have remained remarkably healthy on subsequent vacations, so have not needed anything out of my kit.  Before this, DH caught some sort of bug while we were in Paris and I had to spend time figuring out what he needed in a Paris pharmacy.  

I was in the ship’s store on our last cruise.  A teeny bottle of Advil was $12.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I put together a small package of OTC meds that gets thrown into our bag each trip. It contains Tylenol, ibuprofen, Sudafed (the good stuff), throat lozenges, cough drops, anti diarrhea meds, band aids antibiotic ointment and alcohol wipes.  I put this together a few years ago when we were going on a safari, but both DH and I have remained remarkably healthy on subsequent vacations, so have not needed anything out of my kit.  Before this, DH caught some sort of bug while we were in Paris and I had to spend time figuring out what he needed in a Paris pharmacy.  

We call this our "what if" bag.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, pacruise804 said:

Today I learned not to take DayQuil 🙂 Phenylephrine never works for me and I would rather take the individual meds separately rather than a combo at a less effective dosage (acetaminophen is usually 1g rather than only 325mg if I take).

I can't take Phenylephrine, due to a reaction.   I am fine for a day or two, but why bother.

I am NOT a fan of acetaminophren.  Highly hepatotoxic (liver).  A couple of extra strength, and a drink or two, you can end up with terminally damaged liver.

22 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Don't forget Ducolax or similar.   😄

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I can't take Phenylephrine, due to a reaction.   I am fine for a day or two, but why bother.

I am NOT a fan of acetaminophren.  Highly hepatotoxic (liver).  A couple of extra strength, and a drink or two, you can end up with terminally damaged liver.

For most pain relief I prefer topical (ice pack or bio-freeze) or ibuprophen (which can cause kidney issues🙄).  My migraine medication has acetaminophen though, and is often part of any post-op pain management - so if I need it I'm not in the mood to be drinking anyway 😉 Definitely a good warning for others though and why it is always stressed not to combine medications that contain it (i.e. don't take Dayquil and Tylenol together).

On 11/24/2019 at 6:15 PM, neverbeenhere said:

I brought and paid for my mother-in-law on one cruise, I never did need her. 

That is so funny. We did this a while ago to Alaska and she had the beginning of Alzheimer’s and got lost on the ship and thought my husband who is her son was her divorced husband. Crazy time 

On 12/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, pacruise804 said:

ibuprophen (which can cause kidney issues🙄). 

All of them are not great for the kidneys.

Ibuprofen is less of a problem than acetaminophen.   And neither are near that of Indomethicin .

The other reason I tend to not use acetominophen is that is does not have anti inflammatory properties.  So ibuprofen is a dual action.