Things you brought but never ended up using?

Funatabi

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

And have purchased the local version at times, as needed.

Same here - visited a pharmacy in Germany last year as I developed a cold and had no OTC cold meds with me. Was looking for something similar to DayQuil but, unfortunately, did not know the active ingredients of DayQuil. The pharmacist recommended ACC akut Hustenloser. It worked fine to relieve symptoms.

22 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Same here - visited a pharmacy in Germany last year as I developed a cold and had no OTC cold meds with me. Was looking for something similar to DayQuil but, unfortunately, did not know the active ingredients of DayQuil. The pharmacist recommended ACC akut Hustenloser. It worked fine to relieve symptoms.

Google is your friend

5 seconds:

You would likely to end up with 3 separate things to take.

What is the main ingredient in DayQuil?
Active ingredients (in each LiquiCap) Purpose
Acetaminophen 325 mg Pain reliever/Fever reducer
Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg Cough suppressant
Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg

Nasal decongestant

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

Google is your friend

Yes, definitely my friend when connected to free wifi. However, not so much when free wifi is not available, and assuming wifi is available (which it was not when I visited the pharmacy & I didn't think to check when still at the hotel) -  I have difficulty reading the small print on my iphone (I realize you can increase the size) & am feeling ill to boot. Too much brain damage to access Google searches when I am sick while traveling but no problem at all when safely ensconced at home & on my laptop.

Edited by dogs4fun

23 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I have had similar experiences.   I showed the empty bottle and the Italian pharmacist pulled what they said was a close equivalent off the shelf.  They were careful to make sure I understood the dosage because I couldn't read the labels.   

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, definitely my friend when connected to free wifi. However, not so much when free wifi is not available, and assuming wifi is available (which it was not when I visited the pharmacy & I didn't think to check when still at the hotel) -  I have difficulty reading the small print on my iphone (I realize you can increase the size) & am feeling ill to boot. Too much brain damage to access Google searches when I am sick while traveling but no problem at all when safely ensconced at home & on my laptop.

Nice thing is in Europe, every other place has free wifi.  Possibly even the pharmacy. 😄

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

If you don't mind my asking ... what dog breed is your avatar? The old eyes are definitely not what they once were - I can't tell from the photo.

Akita.

That is Max.  He was our second male over the years.  3 females and 2 males.   

Max was lost to osteosarcoma (bone cancer).

On 11/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, LoriPhil said:

Never understood bringing a dirty clothes hamper... we just keep a large plastic bag on closet floor which is perfect for dirty clothes.  

I use my cheap carry on. It has a lid and no inside partitions. Works perfectly.

I slide on suitcase under the bed, open, and use it like a drawer, slide it out a bit, drop the dirty stuff in, push it back under.

if We are on a longer cruise with self serve laundry, pull it out and take to the laundry to do a load. 

If not doing laundry, zip it up and take it home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I slide on suitcase under the bed, open, and use it like a drawer, slide it out a bit, drop the dirty stuff in, push it back under.

if We are on a longer cruise with self serve laundry, pull it out and take to the laundry to do a load. 

We do exactly the same thing.  Well, except we no longer do the self serve laundry, so it is normally pack it & zip it.   I do appreciate it when we get the free laundry perks.  It really helps with packing.   

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We do exactly the same thing.  Well, except we no longer do the self serve laundry, so it is normally pack it & zip it.   I do appreciate it when we get the free laundry perks.  It really helps with packing.   

We don’t use ship laundry, a few skin issues and it is rare the harsh detergents don’t cause a break out for one of us.

23 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We have a mesh bag with draw string that we use. And we take a compression bag and put the dirty stuff in that to take home.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:53 AM, SRF said:

We take one of the spring ones, that folds flat.  It sits in the closet, upright, full height, and open.  Easier to drop dirty clothes in.

I bring one as well on longer cruises.

The only time I have ever needed / used an over the door shoe holder was on an Arctic expedition cruise where I was sharing a very small cabin for 21 days.  It was excellent for corralling gloves, hats, sunglasses, camera accessories, hair ties, and various other odds and ends.  I've never had a use for the thing otherwise.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, dogs4fun said:

I have found that foreign pharmacists are very helpful with figuring out how to alleviate symptoms. Last year in Germany I ended up with evil tasting cough drops that worked amazingly well. 

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I have found that foreign pharmacists are very helpful with figuring out how to alleviate symptoms.

I have also. Even when we're in a place where seemingly few speak English, the pharmacist usually can. Great when I got salmonella - osis? from tainted American peanut butter. Cipro OTC.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I have also. Even when we're in a place where seemingly few speak English, the pharmacist usually can. Great when I got salmonella - osis? from tainted American peanut butter. Cipro OTC.

You've mentioned this a few times.  I assume you were diagnosed with salmonella and sent to a pharmacist for the Cipro?  Not quite following.   

I stopped bringing the over the door multi pocket holder - we found lots of storage space for just the 2 of us in the cabin, even in the bathroom.  The last time we used it, I didn't bother bringing it home, I just left it in the cabin for the steward to toss. It seems every cruise we take a little less than the time before.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

You've mentioned this a few times.  I assume you were diagnosed with salmonella and sent to a pharmacist for the Cipro?  Not quite following.   

Not exactly. I had raging diarrhea and no idea why. Went to a pharmacy and she gave me Cipro. Some time after that (a week? Can't remember now) I read about salmonella-tainted, American made peanut butter that had been recalled. Checked the batch # and, sure enough, that's what I had. 

4 hours ago, clo said:

Not exactly. I had raging diarrhea and no idea why. Went to a pharmacy and she gave me Cipro. Some time after that (a week? Can't remember now) I read about salmonella-tainted, American made peanut butter that had been recalled. Checked the batch # and, sure enough, that's what I had. 

Aw man, that is crummy to have happen while traveling.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw man, that is crummy to have happen while traveling.  

Crummy for sure. But we had bought an apt. there and were there for 3-1/2 months having it remodeled etc. But still not fun.