BYOW questions

Motor City

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It goes both ways. If HAL would stock decent ones reliably (note both the word "decent" and the word "reliably") and if they wouldn't hose customers with their mark-up, many fewer people would be willing to go to the hassle to carry wine onboard. I know for sure I'd rather buy it on board than carry it on. I'm willing to pay the standard 2 or even 2.5 times markup that you see in most restaurants, but when HAL wants to charge me $79 (not including added gratuity) for a sauvignon blanc I can buy for around $26 per bottle, I draw the line. That's not profit-making, that's greed.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as to what constitutes a fair profit vs. "greed" ... and I'm entitled to mine.  And thus we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good gracious avian, would you by chance be kin to HappyInVan? Bless your heart..

You may rest assured that I am NOT kin to your friend, HappyinVan, by chance or otherwise.  And I resent your gratuitous attempt to smear my good name by linking me to him/her.  Bless your heart!

Edited by avian777

36 minutes ago, avian777 said:

You may rest assured that I am NOT kin to your friend, HappyinVan, by chance or otherwise.  And I resent your gratuitous attempt to smear my good name by linking me to him/her.  Bless your heart!

Definitely related.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

I too am a CCL shareholder.  I think being able to bring wine aboard and pay a corkage fee is a competitive advantage 🙂

That revenue you fear is lost to the BYOWers?    If there's not a wine I like on the menu,  the revenue from -me-  is zero.  So HAL gets my $18 corkage fee for the bottle of wine I bring aboard.  Or zero, because I won't order wine I don't care for.

Also the savings of not having to purchase and store inventory for the wines is a savings to the company.  I seem to remember someone posting that the wine corkage fee is based on the average of profit on wine sold in the fleet, so it is intended to help offset the loss in sales.  The 1 bottle per person allowance is definitely a small factor I consider as I shop my cruise lines to plan a vacation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jb008 said:

...  I seem to remember someone posting that the wine corkage fee is based on the average of profit on wine sold in the fleet ...  

Whoever posted that "insight" obviously is neither an accountant nor an arithmetician.  An $18 corkage fee on a bottle of wine that retails for $75 (24%) is nowhere near the gross profit HAL would realize if it were sold by-the-drink in one of the ships' bars or restaurants. Only on wines that retail in the $27 - $36 range would the  $18 fee approximate HAL's lost profit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avian777 said:

Whoever posted that "insight" obviously is neither an accountant nor an arithmetician.  An $18 corkage fee on a bottle of wine that retails for $75 (24%) is nowhere near the gross profit HAL would realize if it were sold by-the-drink in one of the ships' bars or restaurants. Only on wines that retail in the $27 - $36 range would the  $18 fee approximate HAL's lost profit.

and you my friend clearly have zero “insight” on pricing or profit margins, for either retail or on premise(HAL) wine.

An $18 corkage, plus savings of purchasing,  storing the wine, etc...I have no doubt HAL knew what they were doing, when they came up with the $18 as an “average”. 
Again, HAL is getting $360 in corkage from me, that they otherwise would not have seen...Those are dollars to the bank my friend.

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 7

Good Glory! Someone on our thread is "wine"ing this morning.

Honestly Motor, we usually do have a lot of fun sharing our opinions and information and enjoying some belly laughs, so please don't let a "wine'-er keep you from posting in the future.

Life is good. Merry Christmas. Spread the good word. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, avian777 said:

I posted information that was provided to me by the mariners society. My question was how the $18.00 corkage fee was dispersed. I did not post this for any reason other than I have always wondered.

The Mariners Dept called me today to explain how the $18.00 corkage fee is dispersed. 

They use a fleet wide average wine cost that is calculated by the Food & Beverage Dept in Seattle. It is a rolling 4 month average. Currently the avg is 47.38 per bottle.

15% of this or $7.107 is placed in the wine stewards pool by ship. The remainder is shown in the revenue accounting for the Food and Beverage Dept by each ship.

I asked if this could perhaps increase the per bottle wine average and was told no. Seattle reviews wine sales by bottle and/packages to determine the average bottle amount. 

I thanked them for the return call and they said it was easier to call in case I didn’t understand the math. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Do also remember that with services like Insta Cart and Post Mates delivery of wine to hotels is much more available than it used to be so even if you can't get by a wine shop due to travel plans, maybe you can have it delivered to your hotel. Obviously the selection will be more limited and part of our adventure has been finding great wine shops in different cities but in a pinch, it's really worth a try. You do have to be there to accept any alcohol delivery directly. They can't just leave it with the front desk as they do with plain grocery orders but it is a nice service.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

and you my friend clearly have zero “insight” on pricing or profit margins, for either retail or on premise(HAL) wine.

An $18 corkage, plus savings of purchasing,  storing the wine, etc...I have no doubt HAL knew what they were doing, when they came up with the $18 as an “average”. 
Again, HAL is getting $360 in corkage from me, that they otherwise would not have seen...Those are dollars to the bank my friend.

Bless your heart for so generously contributing to HAL's revenue stream ...

• Haha 1

HAL is getting $360 in corkage from me, that they otherwise would not have seen.

Yippee! So it's a win-win!! Savings in our pockets to bring our own vino, and a few bucks made for shareholders. It's a red letter day folks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avian777 said:

Revenue stream a new concept to you?..thank goodness you aren’t running the P&L for HAL. 
you’d “greed” yourself right to BK. 
bless your heart.

If I’d have one suggestion for HAL, would be to operate similar to Cunard...and NOT charge corkage fees for wine consumed in your cabin.
Definitely a consideration for my next booking.

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Revenue stream a new concept to you?..

Certainly NOT a new concept to me BUT it obviously is for you.  Hope you enjoy your Cunard cruise, as we HAL shareholders appreciate your patronage of ALL the CCL-affiliated cruise lines! And bless your heart for sharing the good news!