Priority Plus experience in San Pedro

bccanadamom

We paid for priority plus for our recent Mexico cruise on the Joy as we were unable to upgrade so added on a few perks (premium beverage package as well).

After doing this once, we wouldn't do it again.   We got to the terminal early (10am) - there's no separate line for the security screening - we walked right up to the regular check in that we were directed to (after saying we had priority boarding).    I couldn't see any specific check-in area for priority boarding - the security staff told us to go down "to the end" towards the concierge checkin but the regular checkin had no line so we ended up there.  The check in staff identified that we had the priority package and told us to wait with the rest of the group and that priority would be called up to board early-on.

I asked about a separate waiting area as I'd seen pictures on a previous board about that - there doesn't seem to be anything in San Pedro - the concierge area was packed, I think that's where they would have sent us if there was room (it was nothing special at all just a cordoned off area with the same seats) - the lady I asked told me to go to guest services once I was on if there wasn't a designated area but I didn't bother.

We were called to board after concierge, before platinum/platinum plus...  then groups one, two etc.  In the end groups one and two were pretty much all in the same line to go up escalators and I suspect we would have been in an early group given our early arrival anyways.   Maybe would have been worth it if we'd arrived later as the lineup seemed to stay quite long throughout the day for at least a couple of hours after we boarded.

Canapes on 2nd day were nothing special at all.   We didn't have to get tickets for the cabo tender and just went when we were ready, so that was nice.  I was most worried about disembarking but we carried off our own luggage anyways so were off super early regardless of priority boarding.

We didn't use the spa credit - and as others have said it's only for regular price and only on port days (and there were lots of specials that I think might have been almost as good a value anyways).

Live and learn 🙂 

Hope that helps for future folks - was hard to find much info on this as I think it's pretty new.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing OP; almost every item is somewhat disingenuous at best as they fail to mention the alternatives, first I will share the biggest benefits to PA:

1)  You desire a Vibe/Posh pass

2)  You need to be on the first tender

3)  You see value to having daily omelettes delivered to your cabin

4)  You don't want or are unable to carry your bags off the early self carry

Now everything has alternatives

1)  Priority Embarkment alternative is you show up to the port well before noon but you will be waiting around.  Furthermore, if you do not value getting on the ship early and would rather explore the area near the port, show up later and odds are they'll virtually be no lines including any line on the gangway

2)  Tenders, it isn't difficult to get a priority tender ticket (show the priority ticket issuing staff you have an early tour) yet you will need to line up early with the other priority passengers if you want a shot to be on the first tender.  If you line up nearly, high odds you'll at least be on the second tender

3)  Priority Disembarkment, you can get off the ship the fastest if you do self carry, however, you can also stay in your cabin until around 8ish then breakfast in the MDR, walk off the ship virtually no lines

4)  Spa credit, extremely common discounts (that don't stack with PA) will be offered on port days but it really is passed on occupancy and not guaranteed

5)  Canapes alternative, go to 24 hour dining or pay the $7.95 fee where you could order the cheese plate, fruit plate, multiple entrees and desserts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, phissy said:

If the shoe fits?

No, it was harsh.  I appreciate the feedback on the experience by the OP and also agree with the fact that it sounds like a money grab on NCL's part.  It doesn't make one ignorant for trying it...naive or novice, perhaps...but not ignorant. JMO

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, it was harsh.  I appreciate the feedback on the experience by the OP and also agree with the fact that it sounds like a money grab on NCL's part.  It doesn't make one ignorant for trying it...naive or novice, perhaps...but not ignorant. JMO

Thank you...

I didn't want to rehash something that I stated on another post, but now I shall.

10 years ago I waited on a serpentine line for 2.5 hours for a Carnival cruise in NYC. Since then, I have been on tolerable 40-45 minutes waits in other ports (other than NYC). I asked in the other post what was the norm in NYC (for all I know there were 3 ships in port and a search taking place in the Hudson). No one responded with average wait times in NYC, so, to err on the side of caution, I myself bought P/A. I don't consider myself ignorant or naive, if I shave off an hour off of 2.5 hour wait, Ill gladly pay the $179 for that alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The connotation of the word in the way it was used suggests stupidity.  Especially in written form where so much can get lost in translation.  

Couldn't tell if it was snark or not, so I just left it alone. Plus I don't have a dictionary (/snarkoff).

Edited by NoobCroozer
  • Like 1