Maasdam: Pinnacle Grill lunch & zodiac question

thyme2go

Is it possible to have lunch in the Grill on a port day?    A PCC said that yes, we could, but I don't remember that being the case on other ships.   Also, has anyone actually had a zodiac experience on an EXC cruise?   Seems like there's a lot of advertising but I'm not seeing any reviews of the experience, cost, destination?      Anyone have knowledge on these questions?

It is unusual for the Pinnacle Grill to be open for lunch on a port day, but it has happened. I have eaten there on a port day, so know it does happen. 
Check with the Pinnacle Manager when you board to see what days it is open for lunch, and make reservations, if the days suit you. 

We recently did a Zodiac boat excursion (we are in our 70s) while we were sailing around the islands of PNG on the Maasdam.  I was a bit nervous at first at the thought of boarding it but really, it was no more difficult than boarding a tender.  We thought it was great as we were able to look underwater at the many coral formations, using a special cone.  It cost US$99.95.

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, towhee said:

One of the tours on our Alaska cruise this summer is on a Zodiac - or at least that's what the description says.

We have booked two of the zodiac tours on our 14 days Maasdam.  Excited!

On 12/29/2019 at 5:12 PM, thyme2go said:

Is it possible to have lunch in the Grill on a port day?    A PCC said that yes, we could, but I don't remember that being the case on other ships.   Also, has anyone actually had a zodiac experience on an EXC cruise?   Seems like there's a lot of advertising but I'm not seeing any reviews of the experience, cost, destination?      Anyone have knowledge on these questions?

There are 3 Zodiac excursions on the Sept.

Alaska cruises this summer.  They are listed at about $149.00

The zodiac excursions for my May Maasdam cruise did not appear initially on the list of shore excursions but were added over several months.  I got lucky to spot them when they first appeared.  Since seating is very limited, they disappear quickly.  Just keep checking.

We did a Zodiac trip in the Maldives off the Maasdam.  The Captain was our zodiac driver and he was thrilled to be doing it.  My understanding from discussions with crew on the Maasdam last fall was that HAL is replacing the Zodiacs for the Alaska season with American built ones.  The zodiac experience can be really fun depending upon the destination.  One must have great mobility to board the zodiacs and getting wet is part of the fun.