Noumea Tours

Hi needing advice on things to do in Noumea.  Has anyone done both Escapade Island and Signal Island trips.  I can't decide between the two of them.  They are both roughly the same price but if anyone could offer pros and cons would greatly appreciate it.

This may or may not help, but I’ll share just incase it does.

I was in Noumea a few days ago and booked a snorkelling tour through the ship. It ended up being with a company called Aquanature who decide on one of 3 snorkeling locations based on the weather on the day.  One spot is Signal Is, another is Master Island (I think that’s the same as Escapade?) and the last is Laregnere.  

Anyway, we ended up snorkeling off the shore (approx 100metres) of Master Island and the trip was great.  Even though the coral wasn’t great, we saw turtles everywhere and some interesting fish life.  If you’re a confident swimmer, it’s a tour I would recommend.  

I have done both.

Did Escapade in 2016 with Alfred; It was $80 back then, you go over in a large boat & get access to a resort on Escapade Island. There are tourists there but not packet. Very calm.. The fish & coral where very poor, but we saw 2 turtles in the 4 hours we where there. We also at the time did get the food (lunch) on the island. The cost of the tour went up to $150 with all included. Alfred was losing business to duck Is & Signal island, so he changed it to just a basic package. The boat trip over & access to the beach at resort.

Ok with del Ocean Adventures AKA Noumea Turtle Tours. $66 You mainly go out to Signal Island Via a Zodiac. The trip out there can be bumpy & extreme.. Would recommend for kids 7 or under.. The island is very primative, but there would be only about 30 people at most out there. The Fish, coral & Marine life are so much better then Escapade. Plus saw Turtles with-in 30 seconds of arrival. Take a snack along with you.I much prefer this trip. I have now done it 4 times....Even used there BlueMan experience, where a professional gives you tips on snorkling & takes a small group out to the outer reef. Saw some reef sharks out there.

Noumea Turtle Tours also have a Catamaran Tour out to Laregnere island. You motor out to the island & have 2 hours swimming with the same quality of marine life as Signal; But you Sailback under wind power to Noumea. It was great just sitting on the cargo net relaxing...Same price Fredric Ballo is the Owner. I will be doing The Cat excursion again in March.

Enjoy..

• Like 1

Hunter69, Good to know about Signal Island! I am booked to take Dal Ocean Charters to Signal Island next month. Hoping for some very good snorkeling! Will pick up some picnic food at the market before heading over to Signal. 

We have done amadee island which was ok but by the afternoon the resident snake population had come out in force.

escapade island I enjoyed a lot more.

for our cruise in February we are booked on a rci over priced bus tour of noumea but the noumea turtle tours sound so much better!

Just had a look.

• Sailing catamaran Turtle Tour from Noumea (New-Caledonia) morning tour

Looks very very very good.

my question is. Can you take a snack or arrange for the ship to provide sandwiches?

40 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Just had a look.

my question is. Can you take a snack or arrange for the ship to provide sandwiches?

No ,food can’t be taken of the ship.They do have customs inspections at times.

The food is pretty good in Noumea ,especially the pastries but expensive.

What bus tour are you doing?

Edited by Chiliburn

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

No ,food can’t be taken of the ship.They do have customs inspections at times.

The food is pretty good in Noumea ,especially the pastries but expensive.

What bus tour are you doing?

The bus tour is an overview of noumea but I think my son would like a day at the beach better.

9 minutes ago, Esilef said:

The bus tour is an overview of noumea but I think my son would like a day at the beach better.

We were thinking of doing the country and the bay’s tour and then hitting a bar in lemon bay called la barka.

We have friends so we just need to keep  everyone happy.

• Like 1

Now I’m thread hogging (puts towel into thread early in the morning in prime position and checks on it every couple of hours)

can someone recommend any other tours? My son is 10 but has autism with adhd. We are booked on a bus tour but he’s likely to get bored with that.

the signal island tour looks good but he won’t swim and won’t sit still 

Hey Esilef, do you think your son would cope with a hop on, hop off type of tour? In Noumea, they have what they call the Tchou Tchou train which is a bit more open than a bus but heads to the same places. The Aquarium in Noumea is really good as well, lots of movement and colours which may keep his attention.

If the weather is good, Lemon Bay is a great option to get out at and let him play and run on the beach.

That just what we discovered. Lyvai has the tchou tchou train with the hop on hop off bus options as well as the aquarium and the duck island transfers.

we love the freedom of this option and it is half the price of royals 3 hour bus tour which would be difficult.

3 minutes ago, Esilef said:

That just what we discovered. Lyvai has the tchou tchou train with the hop on hop off bus options as well as the aquarium and the duck island transfers.

we love the freedom of this option and it is half the price of royals 3 hour bus tour which would be difficult.

I don't recommend the tchou tchou train for adults, but for kids I think it is great. It isn't actually a train. A tractor-type vehicle that has been made to look like a train engine, pulls carriages that have open sides. I suggest you try to sit in one of the middle carriages. The front ones can get exhaust fumes from the tractor and the rear ones can sway a bit, possibly causing some motion sickness.

We have decided on an electric scooter tour of the Bays via the ship run by Eplay Noumea. The kids have the option of either standing up on the E scooter with an adult or on the e kart.....looks like so much fun and the reviews have been very good.

As others have said, the boat ride out to signal island is pretty rough. Ours was downright wild. I was very disappointed with the coral there, it was mostly dead 😞 . The turtles were on adventures elsewhere when we were there, we saw very few (saw a shark though). That’s

not the operator’s fault though! The fish at signal island were the best I’ve seen in New Caledonia. 
I personally I prefer Amadee Island for the experience. 
The most turtles I’ve seen were on Isle of Pines, but I personally didn’t like the way the boat operators manhandled them.

21 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't recommend the tchou tchou train for adults, but for kids I think it is great. It isn't actually a train. A tractor-type vehicle that has been made to look like a train engine, pulls carriages that have open sides. I suggest you try to sit in one of the middle carriages. The front ones can get exhaust fumes from the tractor and the rear ones can sway a bit, possibly causing some motion sickness.

Thank you for the information. My father is in his 70’s with some mobility issues. We are taking beach towels with us and might use those to make him more comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Esilef said:

Agree Amadee island is a great tour and experience but those little black snakes...... 

The snakes are very venomous Kraits, but fortunately they are not aggressive. The aquarium in Noumea has a large display on these snakes that are quite a feature of the islands. On once cruise a few years ago, the Shore Excursions Manager told everyone in his talk about the snakes, assuring the audience that they weren't venomous. Later I quietly suggested that he go to the aquarium to check out the display.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The snakes are very venomous Kraits, but fortunately they are not aggressive. The aquarium in Noumea has a large display on these snakes that are quite a feature of the islands. On once cruise a few years ago, the Shore Excursions Manager told everyone in his talk about the snakes, assuring the audience that they weren't venomous. Later I quietly suggested that he go to the aquarium to check out the display.

I thought they were harmless! Now I’m even more glad I’m no t going there.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, Esilef said:

Just had a look.

I usually take a bag of lollies to eat. To get some energy back. Snake lollies that is do a great job..

Lot's of other took chips or shapes.. Unopened & of course take your rubbish away..

A couple of bottles of water off the ship too come in handy on Signal island...