Lido Deck noise

JudithLynne

1 minute ago, JudithLynne said:

We are looking at a SA suite on the Maasdam.  Would noise from the Lido deck above (pool area and buffet) be problematic?

Under the pool area you will hear a bit of movement of the chairs when they put them up in the evening and put them back down in the morning.  For some it’s not a big deal and for others it’s problematic.

To avoid that, I recommend you get a cabin under the carpeted portion of the Canaletto or Lido (but not the galley area).  If you study the deck plans, there are a number of cabins which should not pose any issue at all.

Neptune Suites on the Maasdam are quite nice and the verandahs are very large and deep 🙂 

We have a very simple formula for choosing cabin location (on any ship or cruise line).  Our preference is a cabin that is surrounded on all sides by other cabins.  If there are public areas (like the pool deck) above we avoid the cabin like a plague.  If we had to be under the Lido we would also seek out a cabin under a carpeted part of the Lido.  That being said, you still are going to get a lot of foot traffic in the morning (many HAL cruisers go to sleep by sunset and are awake by dawn).

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

That being said, you still are going to get a lot of foot traffic in the morning (many HAL cruisers go to sleep by sunset and are awake by dawn).

I will respectfully disagree as I have been in Neptune Suites on the Maasdam and Rotterdam which are both under the Lido.  Our cabin was under the Canaletto area and there was never any noise.  

Neptune Suites are where they are on the R & S ships.  As long as you choose your cabin carefully, it’s a non issue on noise above in my experience.

Thank you all.  We were in a Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam under Canaletto and it was completely quiet.  On the Maasdam we would prefer Starboard side. 

Moving under the Lido will also put us under the overhang.  We felt sorry for the people on the Amsterdam who had a large part of their view restricted due to the overhang, this was especially true when cruising Tract Arm.

I am thinking that our alternative would be to move forward and under either the Beauty Salon or the Massage center. 

5 minutes ago, jimmy2x said:

As I tend to book about a year out, it is early enough to allow me to follow my general rule. Cabins above, cabins below, no connecting cabins. Greatly improved chances of avoiding noise issues. 

That’s normally a good rule but unfortunately It doesn’t work in the OP’s case because of the location of those cabins.

2 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

Thank you all.  We were in a Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam under Canaletto and it was completely quiet.  On the Maasdam we would prefer Starboard side. 

Moving under the Lido will also put us under the overhang.  We felt sorry for the people on the Amsterdam who had a large part of their view restricted due to the overhang, this was especially true when cruising Tract Arm.

I am thinking that our alternative would be to move forward and under either the Beauty Salon or the Massage center. 

I specifically chose an SB for our 30 day cruise last month on the Volendam.  it was under the beauty shop and very quiet.  It was #7004.

Karen

6 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

On the R and S class ships we avoided the cabins that were under the pool area.  Too many people moving chairs during the day when we wanted to nap. 

The workers are up early washing down the deck and moving the chairs.

Second this!

On the Maasdam, all of the Neptune cabins are on deck 7, unlike the configurations on the larger HAL ships.  We try to book a Neptune under the dining area of the Lido buffet to reduce noise from above (you do sometimes hear noises if you are under the Lido pool area.