Denali question

Spikesgirl

We are heading up to Alaska in the beginning of June.  We have one day, just one, for a trip to Denali National Park.  We are staying in Eagle River and will have a vehicle.  However, we have two people who cannot do any sort of  hiking.  Considering the eight hour round trip drive, the traffic, and probable park congestion, I'm wondering in all honesty, is it worth it?  Our GD has asked to see it and I'd hate to disappoint her, but I worry about all that travel for short visit and then another long drive back.  Is the Denali state park a reasonable alternative to the National Park?  Please no lectures or flaming. 

You don't need to hike in Denali. You can stay on the bus. Many people do.

I am confused how much time you have. Do you only have one day before or after your cruise? Or do you have 3 days? If you have just 1 day, that is not enough. Maybe consider Seward, AK? Maybe elaborate on your plans.

• Like 1

Sounds like a miserably long day.  As much as I LOVE Denali, I wouldn't do it.

First of all, you can't count on the drive being 4 hrs.  Plus you have to park when you arrive, get your tickets, load onto the bus, etc, so you should give yourself AT LEAST 5 hrs.  And I would take the Eielson shuttle bus , 8 hrs RT, since it goes thru prime bear viewing territory.  Toklat is  6 1/2 hrs but ends at the edge of prime bear viewing.

So your day would look like this:

5am - 10am  drive to Denali

11- 7pm  shuttle bus to Eielson

dinner

8pm - midnight drive back to Eagle River

• Like 1

No, not worth it.  If the primary reason for going is viewing the mountain itself, it’s only visible about 25% of the time. You might consider driving up to Talkeetna which offers fantastic views of the mountain from the south if it's not covered by clouds. Some find the town an interesting little touristy spot.  It would make for a much more pleasant day trip.

4 hours ago, teachingforme said:

So you would drive up and back in the same day? Can you skip Eagle River and just head right to Denali? Remember it stays lighter later then the 48 continental states.

Yes, we arrive on Sunday and our friends join us on Monday and board the ship on Wednesday.  The only day we have is Tuesday.   We are staying in Eagle River (that's where our B&B is located).

3 hours ago, Coral said:

You don't need to hike in Denali. You can stay on the bus. Many people do.

I am confused how much time you have. Do you only have one day before or after your cruise? Or do you have 3 days? If you have just 1 day, that is not enough. Maybe consider Seward, AK? Maybe elaborate on your plans.

We are getting to Anchorage/Eagle River on Friday and our friends join us on Monday (they are the reason for the Denali trip to begin with). We leave on the ship on Wednesday, which leaves us just Tuesday for a possible drive to Denali.  Sadly, it's just the one day.

Edited by Spikesgirl
I hit enter too soon...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Sounds like a miserably long day.  As much as I LOVE Denali, I wouldn't do it.

First of all, you can't count on the drive being 4 hrs.  Plus you have to park when you arrive, get your tickets, load onto the bus, etc, so you should give yourself AT LEAST 5 hrs.  And I would take the Eielson shuttle bus , 8 hrs RT, since it goes thru prime bear viewing territory.  Toklat is  6 1/2 hrs but ends at the edge of prime bear viewing.

So your day would look like this:

5am - 10am  drive to Denali

11- 7pm  shuttle bus to Eielson

dinner

8pm - midnight drive back to Eagle River

Oh, boy, that sounds like a much longer day than I'd like.  Perhaps we need to hold off and wait for a future time to attempt this.  Thank you for your help with this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

No, not worth it.  If the primary reason for going is viewing the mountain itself, it’s only visible about 25% of the time. You might consider driving up to Talkeetna which offers fantastic views of the mountain from the south if it's not covered by clouds. Some find the town an interesting little touristy spot.  It would make for a much more pleasant day trip.

I was thinking that Talkeetna sounded like fun.  Thank you so much for your input.  I'm beginning to realize the distance is much further than it looks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spikesgirl said:

We are getting to Anchorage/Eagle River on Friday and our friends join us on Monday (they are the reason for the Denali trip to begin with). We leave on the ship on Wednesday, which leaves us just Tuesday for a possible drive to Denali.  Sadly, it's just the one day.

Yep - I wouldn't do it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spikesgirl said:

..... Is the Denali state park a reasonable alternative to the National Park?  .....

I also don't think the drive you are contemplating is worth it.  And, in my opinion, Denali State Park is definitely not a reasonable alternative to Denali National Park.  The state park doesn't have interpretative displays (just a few interpretative sign boards) or visitor center activities of the national park.  If you plan on stopping at Talkeetna then consider driving up the the Princess McKinley View Lodge or past the access road in to the PMVL.  A few miles past that access road you will find some turnouts which offer views of Denali if it is out, as does the PMVL.  Or you could drive to the K'esugi Ken campground.

4 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also don't think the drive you are contemplating is worth it.  And, in my opinion, Denali State Park is definitely not a reasonable alternative to Denali National Park.  The state park doesn't have interpretative displays (just a few interpretative sign boards) or visitor center activities of the national park.  If you plan on stopping at Talkeetna then consider driving up the the Princess McKinley View Lodge or past the access road in to the PMVL.  A few miles past that access road you will find some turnouts which offer views of Denali if it is out, as does the PMVL.  Or you could drive to the K'esugi Ken campground.

I was thinking about stopping at Talkeetna just to look around, so this is a great suggestion.  thank you so much!