Cruise day count

srjones1

Until yesterday I had not booked a cruise in about a year. I noticed when I booked a five day that it was actually six. Used to be, for example, a 5 day cruise was Monday - Friday and now it's Monday - Saturday. I used to sort of complain about the day count being misleading but now it seems to be correct. When did this change? Thx

7 minutes ago, srjones1 said:

Until yesterday I had not booked a cruise in about a year. I noticed when I booked a five day that it was actually six. Used to be, for example, a 5 day cruise was Monday - Friday and now it's Monday - Saturday. I used to sort of complain about the day count being misleading but now it seems to be correct. When did this change? Thx

The days are not really days, it is based on nights. A 5 day (night) cruise would be m-t-w-t-f nights and would embark on Monday and disembark on Saturday.  

3 minutes ago, srjones1 said:

Right, and five day cruises used to be 4 nights and the 5 day I just booked is 5 nights so something changed since my last cruise

It had to be a long time ago or it had to have changed and then changed back, as I had a 3 day (night) cruise for my honeymoon in 97, which was 4 days/3 nights and counted as 3 points.

7 minutes ago, rukkian said:

It had to be a long time ago or it had to have changed and then changed back, as I had a 3 day (night) cruise for my honeymoon in 97, which was 4 days/3 nights and counted as 3 points.

Who knows... But thanks for the reply. 

This one seems a little unusual. Our first cruise almost 20 years ago was a 7 day and they are always Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun. That day is a turnover day so all 7 days leave the same day. It the nights as opposed to the days that they count. 

Many years ago I went with a friend on a 5 day and thought we'd be home on the 5th day. It wasn't until we were in the middle of the gulf that I realized we wouldn't be home until the Thursday, not Wednesday. Had to call my boss and let her know... $75.00 call. Back then it was almost a day's pay!

• Haha 1

Theoretically the number of days is also correct.

The earliest I have seen people being able to board in most cases is 11-11:30 am.

They want you off the ship by 9-10am at the latest (or earlier... I never really paid attantion).

If you go by # of hours that is pretty close to 7 full days.  Sort of like how car rental companies count days.

Pick up a Car at 1pm it had better be returned by 1pm or you get charged another day.

I finally figured out what I was thinking about... on a five day cruise, say Monday morning to Saturday morning, your FULL days are Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri and I would tell people that when they asked me about cruises that they weren’t really 5 whole days but 5 nights and I guess that just stuck in my head.. 🤷‍♂️