St. John ferry

motorcycle mama

Hi! Our ship docks at Crown Bay not Havensight in St. Thomas. Inter Island Boat Service now offers a 9:30 am ferry to St. John from Crown Bay!  The ferry returns at 4:45. our ship sails at 5. Has anyone taken this return ferry? That's a little close for my comfort!

Makes more sense than taxi to RedHook, ferry, St.John, ferry, taxi to ship. We want to spend as much time on St. John!

Thank you

Didn't know that Carnival will be docking some ships at Crown Bay. I thought we docked at CB last October but that was on Celebrity.

in any event, returning on a ferry from St John's that arrives in CB at 4:45pm when your ship sails at 5pm might be taking a huge risk.  Isn't the all board warning set for 4:30?

10 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Didn't know that Carnival will be docking some ships at Crown Bay. I thought we docked at CB last October but that was on Celebrity.

in any event, returning on a ferry from St John's that arrives in CB at 4:45pm when your ship sails at 5pm might be taking a huge risk.  Isn't the all board warning set for 4:30?

My mistake posting in Carnivals forum, it's a Celebrity ship. But thanks!

There is no way I would enjoy my day on St. John with that 15 minute window. I like to be on the pier, if not on the ship, at least 30 minutes before all aboard time. And when you consider that you are dealing with a ferry crew operating on Caribbean Island Time I would be even more uncomfortable.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is no way I would enjoy my day on St. John with that 15 minute window. I like to be on the pier, if not on the ship, at least 30 minutes before all aboard time. And when you consider that you are dealing with a ferry crew operating on Caribbean Island Time I would be even more uncomfortable.

Thanks for your input. Maybe we will do the Red Hook ferry. 

my Suggestion is to check the Celebrity excursions.  Usually they offer an inexpensive Explore St John’s on your own tour which is really just  a round trip private a Ferry ride from Crown Bay to St John’s.  It is not that much more than the price of a round trip cab to Red Hook and round trip ferry ride but you don’t have to worry about the ship leaving etc.  

I don’t think I would take a private Ferry than left you only 15 min.  Usually for a 5 pm sail all aboard will be 4:30. 

7 hours ago, volk904 said:

my Suggestion is to check the Celebrity excursions.  Usually they offer an inexpensive Explore St John’s on your own tour which is really just  a round trip private a Ferry ride from Crown Bay to St John’s.  It is not that much more than the price of a round trip cab to Red Hook and round trip ferry ride but you don’t have to worry about the ship leaving etc.  

I don’t think I would take a private Ferry than left you only 15 min.  Usually for a 5 pm sail all aboard will be 4:30. 

Thank you. The ship excursion is only 4 hrs. We want to spend as much time as we can on St.John. looks like we'll use Red Hook.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, O2B@Cagain said:

The Inter Island ferry is kind of designed for people flying in. The Red Hook ferry is more user friendly for those on cruises.

The Inter Island ferry dock is in Crown Bay, where our Cruise ship docks. It would be so convenient to walk 5 mins to a ferry than to Taxi 45 mins to Red Hook ferry. It's the return time that's not cruise friendly. But thank you.

Yes, Crown Bay is more convenient to the airport, which is why the Inter Island people started up the ferry. They are trying to fill i for the "town" ferry that used to leave from the waterfront, but stopped a while ago. Inter Island is a private ferry, not subsidized by the government.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Lol! Island time. We'll use the Red Hook ferry. Thanks 

2 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Yes, Crown Bay is more convenient to the airport, which is why the Inter Island people started up the ferry. They are trying to fill i for the "town" ferry that used to leave from the waterfront, but stopped a while ago. Inter Island is a private ferry, not subsidized by the government.

Yes, you would use it? Yes, we will make it to the ship by 5pm sail time?

On 1/13/2020 at 9:21 AM, motorcycle mama said:

The Inter Island ferry dock is in Crown Bay, where our Cruise ship docks. It would be so convenient to walk 5 mins to a ferry than to Taxi 45 mins to Red Hook ferry. It's the return time that's not cruise friendly. But thank you.

I am surprised the Ships Excursion is only 4 hours. Yuck!  I thought when we did took it is was over 5 hours.

That said maybe yu take the 9:30 Ferry from Crown Bay that puts you in St. Johns before 10:30 but ride the Red Hook Ferrry back probably no later than 3: or 3:30. I guess if you wanted to get Max time in St. Johns you get off the ship at 8 and try to catch the 9AM St. Johns Ferry from Red Hook. It is about 15-20 minutes. 

4 hours ago, volk904 said:

I am surprised the Ships Excursion is only 4 hours. Yuck!  I thought when we did took it is was over 5 hours.

That said maybe yu take the 9:30 Ferry from Crown Bay that puts you in St. Johns before 10:30 but ride the Red Hook Ferrry back probably no later than 3: or 3:30. I guess if you wanted to get Max time in St. Johns you get off the ship at 8 and try to catch the 9AM St. Johns Ferry from Red Hook. It is about 15-20 minutes. 

Thanks, that's what we'll do, the Red Hook ferry both ways!