Mexican Riviera vs. Caribbean cruise?

CelK

We've taken multiple Caribbean cruises (+ 1 Hawaii) - most recently on the Escape (3x) which we loved - and are thinking about maybe something a little different this year.  We always take the New Year's cruise.  Anyone have any thoughts on the Mexican Riviera (it would be the Bliss)?  I've read it's not as beautiful as Caribbean for some, but any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!  I'm sure either would be fun, but am torn whether to do the "same old" or try something different.  (We're a couple with a 16 year old son BTW).  Thanks for the help!!

Just did the Mexican Riviera on the Bliss the end of October and had fun.  We are on the West Coast so it was just an easier port to get to.  Our next cruise is the Caribbean because personally I like it better than the Mexican Riviera.   We got off the ship in all of the Ports and felt safe, for me though, I just love the Caribbean water.  

We did the Mexican Riviera on the Bliss, after having been only to the Caribbean in the past. Like you, we wanted to see a new area. It was also our first time on Norwegian. We liked the Bliss so much that our next cruise is on her sister ship, the Joy. And we really enjoyed the stops in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta , and Mazatlan .

If your top priority is beach days, I would say the Caribean ports have the advantage . St. Thomas, St.Marteen, Caymen Islands come to mind. I did not see the tourqois waters on the west side. But Cabo's deep blue water was a close rival.

Now if you like ports with a marina, shopping, restaurants ,  drinks, and nice boardwalks,  then the Mexican Riviera would be a nice change for you. When we were younger,  the beach days were more important to us, but now a nice tiki style bar and local cuisine is what we seek out. 

You can't go wrong on either side.

As 2+2 noted - each destination has its own benefits.  I did the Mexican Riviera on the Bliss at the end of October (maybe on the same cruise as @itseaya?) and liked the change of pace.  I had previously done one Bermuda and one Bahamas cruise (both on RCI) as well as a Pacific Coastal (also on the Bliss) and MAY be scheduling a Western Caribbean for next year so I wanted something different.  Mazatlan was a great place to get off the ship and stretch the legs (walked several miles in that port) while I did excursions in PV (with lots of walking there as well) and Cabo.

If you haven't sailed the Bliss - that alone is worth a change in scenery, but it's interesting to see different places which is why I think many of us like this style of vacation.

Comparisons - - -

Mex Riv - 1 cruise 7 days 3 Mexican ports  (Cabo tendering) - a Sea Day going and returning

Caribbean - several options - departure ports - Western - Southern - Eastern - 7 and multiple day cruises

Have more time consider a Panama Canal cruise -

Expand your horizons with Alaska/Canada -

Seasonally Canada/New England -

I’ve come through the Mexican Riviera on the Bliss on our 15 day cruise this past April ...... We enjoyed it very much and it was a great change of pace. Cabo is just a great, fun, clean port to go to with so much to see and do .  Stone Beach in Mazatlan is wonderful as well. Personally, I think most of the ports in the Caribbean are rather ugly and dirty ....

4 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Mex Riv - 1 cruise 7 days 3 Mexican ports  (Cabo tendering) - a Sea Day going and returning

Depending on the itinerary (if Cabo or PV is first) it might be 2 sea days on one leg and one on the other.  My 7-day MR cruise in Oct. we had PV first, 2 sea days down and one full-speed sea day back to LA from Cabo (and that's about the max the Bliss could do in 36 hours).

11 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Mexico day after day after day can get old.

The one thing I decided I wasn't a huge fan of on the Mexican Riviera cruise was that the port calls were bunched together on consecutive days with no sea days breaking it up at all.  The sea days are all before and after the 3 days of port calls.

• 4 weeks later...

we live in los angeles, and my wife hates mexico. regardless, i would vote for the Caribbean any day. all the ports we've ever been to are absolutely beautiful. if you get an opportunity to cruise the southern Caribbean,  go for it. Barbados, St Lucia, probably as close to paradise as youre gonna get whileon earth

My husband & I did the Mexican Rivera on  Princess several years ago. We went in mid January . While it didn't bother me, my husband found it chilly out on deck the first couple of days.  I believe we had 2 sea days at the beginning of the cruise.

I sailed the Mexican Riviera on Princess last year and loved it. I’ve done multiple Caribbean and Europe cruises so, like you, wanted something different. There is much less variety of ports available on a 7 night itinerary in the Mexican Riviera compared to the Caribbean but I found those offered were all great. Mazatlan was especially nice if you want a more cultural/local experience rather than a beach. I found most Caribbean ports (especially the English speaking ones) are very similar...once you’ve been to a few they kind of blend. Mexico has a lot to offer and the people there are super friendly.