Yours Opinions And Advice Are Greatly Appreciated!

I have been reading these boards for a couple of months now and just want to say to everyone that the advice and what I have learnt about crusing would have taken me years to learn otherwise. So thanks everyone!

Anyway, hear is what I have to say about booking the air with the cruise line (RCCL).

This was a surprise:p !!!! vacation given to me by my husband as a christmas gift and originally it wasn't a cruise but an AI somewhere in the Carribbean. He didn't actually book it because he knows that I don't like to fly anywhere that requires more than 6 hours on an airplane and the particular vacation he had in mind was about 8 hours flying time. Since I was definitely going to take advantage of this dream vacation:p opportunity (have not had one for 10 years other than at a local lake) I was on it immediately and after much research decided on a cruise. We chose Vision of the Seas Mexican Riveria out of LA. This is only approximately 3 - 3 1/2 hour flight from Western Canada. No problem I can handle that. At this point I had not had the wonderful opportunity to read CC and find out a lot of important information. Relied on TA for that. So we booked the cruise and air with RCCL. Just got a call from my TA and the flight down is OK but the flight back has us going from LA TO CHICAGO AND THEN BACK TO WESTERN CANADA! Holy crap...so much for less than 6 hours on the plane. We leave at noon and don't get home until 11:00 pm that's almost 12 hours (not all flying time).

Of course we had the option of deviation (which we knew about from the beginning) and I guess I just held my breath that everything would be OK without it.) Now we are trying to change the flight (for the 150.00 deviation fee:mad: )because the original one is ridiculous and we aren't having much luck- still can't get home less than 12 hours.

So do we just go with the flow and chalk this up to a learning experience or do we have any other options. It seems to me that this is another cash grab!

Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

We're sailing on March 5 and I have already asked the TA about cancelling and booking on our own and she advised that we are way passed the point that we can do that. I just do not understand how they only let you know 30 days before you cruise what your air itinerary is and then say that you cannot cancel if undesireable. That is the whole point to my post! I want other cruisers experience in this regard!

Because this is our first cruise I really wanted a great experience so that another 10 years doesn't have to go by before the next. If I get him hooked then voila!! a cruise every 6 months.:D

Like I said, maybe this is a lesson learnt! And if, like I read on another thread, that RCCL people are reading theses boards and using it to improve their service, take this as a hint! After having a potentially great cruise, sending someone home on a 12 hour flight when it should be a 3 hour flight, that would just be an extreme let down!

Maybe they want you to book your own!

We're sailing on March 5 and I have already asked the TA about cancelling and booking on our own and she advised that we are way passed the point that we can do that. I just do not understand how they only let you know 30 days before you cruise what your air itinerary is and then say that you cannot cancel if undesireable. That is the whole point to my post! I want other cruisers experience in this regard!

Because this is our first cruise I really wanted a great experience so that another 10 years doesn't have to go by before the next. If I get him hooked then voila!! a cruise every 6 months.:D

Like I said, maybe this is a lesson learnt! And if, like I read on another thread, that RCCL people are reading theses boards and using it to improve their service, take this as a hint! After having a potentially great cruise, sending someone home on a 12 hour flight when it should be a 3 hour flight, that would just be an extreme let down!

Maybe they want you to book your own!

Sorry to hear about this...the flight from LA to Chicago to Canada is crazy! That is as bad as the flight from Boston to Miami that had us making a layover in LA!!!! Needless to say, we didn't book that flight!

Whoa, that is actually REALLY crazy (Boston to Maimi with a layover in LA!) So is this the norm for people using the cruise line to book there flights!!! Is it an absolute must to book your own flights! If only I had known! It might be another 10 years:confused: ! HOLY CRAP!

In North America we have learned to book our own flights, but always leave a day ahead and stay near the port, especially in the winter. Weather delays on an airline that you have booked yourself does not stop the ship from sailing, but if you book with the cruiseline, they will make sure you get to the ship.

For cruises going overseas, we always book with the cruiseline because we are not sure of arrangements in a foreign country.

The best thing you could do is enjoy your trip, buy a good book, and think of this as an extension of your vacation.

Really, think about it. What's another couple of hours. I know it's not ideal, but chalk it up to a learning experience, enjoy your cruise (and you will!!!) and next time, book your own flights. Just make sure you have plenty of time to make the port. We always arrive 1 day early just to make sure we don't miss the boat. Yes-- the airline schedules really suck. No wonder they're all in bankruptcy!!! At this point, unless you're willing to shell out major $$$, go with the flow and then swear you won't do it again! ( And no,this is not the norm- all the time: sometimes you get decent flights, but there's no guarantee. Unless you have to fly in on your sailing date, it's really better to book your own.)

Hi Trading Spaces -

We just got our flights for our February 26 cruise. We didn't like our flights either that we booked through Royal Caribbean. We talked to our TA who talked to RC and they said we could cancel and only forfeit $50 a piece. Our air fare was $699 and we are being told that we will get $599 back. We just did this on Friday so we haven't seen a credit hit our charge card yet...but we're hopeful. We were able to book much better flights for $572. We'll have to pay for our own transfers now...but it shouldn't cost us too much extra for the benefit of having the flights we want. I will always book my own air in the future.

Good Luck with this!

That is exactly why I originally decided to book our air with RCCL, the insurance that we would get to the cruise ship (on time). In hindsight that really is not the case. From everything I have read, if your flight is delayed, even if booked with the cruiseline, they (the cruiseline) blames the airline and they have to get you to the ship. Believe me I am learning. But it still PI....ES ME OFF! :mad:

But....in spite of it all I will enjoy this cruise and make the most of my new experience.

I just think, if your reading RCCL, this is not acceptable.

We learned from all of the posters here too! When we changed our air fare we decided to fly in the day before so we could arrive at the port early. We also decided to fly home a day later...saved alot on airfare and now we can disembark at a leisurely pace and have one last wonderful breakfast on board. I personally don't understand the people who count down the minutes to get on board and then want to be the first person off of the ship.:confused:

So, Merion Mom (Carol, if I can be so bold) I just read some of your previous posts and obviously my experience thus far pales in comparsion. You have had a few experiences! I must say that you have read me like a book and appreciate your responses. It would be great to meet you on a future cruise someday!

Of course you can call me Carol! I wouldn't put it in my signature if I didn't want people to know my name. Even my kids call me Carol when they want to get my attention in a room full of Moms!

As bizarre as some of my cruise experiences have been, I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Take the Enchantment with us this New Year's! There is NOTHING to compare to New Year's Eve on board a cruise ship! It's magic, pure magic. :D

Hi Trading spaces,first of all, I envy you, there is nothing like seeing a cruise ship for the first time and that first cruise. Enjoy. Five years ago, RCCl did the same thing to us when we were traveling with my parents. Gave us a 6 hour layover somewhere. I called Royal Caribbean and mentioned my parents were upper 70's & couldn't handle this. They were very nice, put us in a nice hotel in San Juan (their expense) and got us a better flight that next morning. Unfortunately, my Dad had a heart attack and we had to cancel. Luckily we had the insurance, & it covered all of us. I since have booked my own flights. Have fun Ginny

Hi tradingspaces

We let RCI make our flight arrangements also. We would not appreciate your situation either, but sometimes we have to be flexable. Our last cruise was Alaska in Sept. We were bused from Seattle to Vacouver which we did not care for. The bus even broke down 3 times. I am sure you will have a bit of a wait between planes in Chicago to relax. I don't like to be on a plane over 4 hours. We are doing the Mexican Riviera next week. Coming home we leave LA at 5:00 so that will be a long day for us and we don't get home until 11:00. Enjoy your cruise.

Jan

Archived