Important - Corona Virus precaution - Medication

ghstudio

On 2/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, morfred said:

I missed that. I need coffee. Thanks

To that effect, I'll be bringing some extra tea bags (individually packaged since we're going to NZ with serious food inspections) because I do not do well without a calming cuppa.  I'd even take a cold cup of tea, shaken hard in a water bottle, if there for 14 unplanned days.

10 hours ago, jb008 said:

Travel insurance is is a great safety blanket. In a pinch you can get a new RX and either get it filled locally/regionally or can get something filled and airmailed to you anywhere in the world.

Do check when you purchased the policy as most policies purchased after some point in late Jan do not cover any medical concerns surrounding coronavirus, even as a quarantined non-carrier.  Some don't cover you unless you test positive  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/epidemic-not-covered-travel-insurance/

Look at your itinerary and do not assume medications can be filled and/or shipped quickly.  Many cruise itineraries visit small and remote areas whose residents routinely must leave that area for urgent and specialized medical care.  

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

Seems to me if they didn't intend to allow them passage through Japan after the quarantine they would have sent the ship out of their waters. Why let it stay there, providing support, if they intended to say "go" in 2 weeks?

I do not know the answer to that but I can repeat (from the Washington Post) that "Japan’s prime minister said Thursday that foreigners would not be allowed to get off Holland America Line’s Westerdam, which left Hong Kong on Saturday, unless under special circumstances.

The implication is that "foreigners" will not get off the ship when the Japanese citizens get off.  It is possible that the Post miss-translated Prime Minister Abe's statement but it is also possible that they are simply waiting until they can safely disembark those passengers who need urgent medical attention or who are citizens of Japan.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

I do not know the answer to that but I can repeat (from the Washington Post) that "Japan’s prime minister said Thursday that foreigners would not be allowed to get off Holland America Line’s Westerdam, which left Hong Kong on Saturday, unless under special circumstances.

The implication is that "foreigners" will not get off the ship when the Japanese citizens get off.  It is possible that the Post miss-translated Prime Minister Abe's statement but it is also possible that they are simply waiting until they can safely disembark those passengers who need urgent medical attention or who are citizens of Japan.

Diamond is being held in quarantine in the Japanese port.  Westerdam is being refused entry, probably in part because of the concern of having to support two vessels in the event nCoV is identified on Westerdam too.  At present though, Westerdam is supposedly not positive for anyone - although if they do not have lab capabilities to test for the virus it's hard to estimate how "accurate" their assertion is that nobody has the virus.  I presume the fear with Westerdam is that it's more accurate to say no one is symptomatic for the virus on board than to say no one is carrying it (basically without testing capabilities it's just an educated guess).  

As an aside, I can get a box of prescription medicine to the port of Yokohama by Monday at 6 PM (and this is basically worst case if it went out Monday it would be there Weds).  Assuming someone has the port agent details, I would imagine you could get an emergency package to someone's door on Diamond by dinner time Tuesday.  It's not cheap, FedEx estimates $127 to send a one-pound box of prescription meds valued at $15 using a FedEx small express box (they charge you more if you use their packaging).  Even if it isn't explicitly covered by insurance, I imagine they might offer assistance managing emergencies like this as part of their "concierge" services while traveling... if not, find a friend with a smart phone and a willingness to do a little legwork to help.  Have them pick up the script and present it at FedEx with the emailed barcode and the helpful associates at FedEx can take care of the rest.  If this is something that keeps you up at night though, call your insurance carrier.  Getting Rx meds to someone due to travel interruptions is more likely to be covered than not... but will vary by policy.   And trips (and policies) purchased after the nCoV is a declared health emergency is likely treated differently than trips purchased pre-outbreak.

As has been stated already, pack some extra meds.  It may cost you a lot of money to do it, but any port that a major cruise line is going to call on I'm sure you can also get a package to there in a matter of days.  

Now getting a package to Bhutan Bikes in Thimphu, Bhutan is a little harder, that'll cost $130 and shipping it tomorrow won't get it there until late afternoon of Feb 13th.  Also Ishgaki Island and Okinawa will run ~$150 and also delivery on the 13th, Nagasaki is a little faster with delivery on the 12th.

Edited by jb008

I am by no means panicking, but current world events have reminded me of the obvious - we will be packing extra prescription and OTC medications with us when we leave home from now on. I used to take one day extra and leave the rest at home; now I think I will take the remainder of my prescriptions in their original bottles, and hope that we do not need them. 👍

On 2/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, Fouremco said:

Did you also wonder if the steel made in Pennsylvania has the germs from Pennsylvania?:classic_dry:

China produces 10 times the steel that the U.S. does.  However, we do have Hershey’s chocolate in PA.  I’ll risk it. 😁

Edited by Suzanne123
  • Like 1