P&O Port confirmation for Kefalonia

P-L-B

Thanks, I have checked on CruiseCal.com and it appears to show Argostoli as the port but it does not show arrival or departure times.

The information for Kefalonia on our CP mentions Argostoli but also Sami as a port but doesn’t make it clear where we will dock.

Hope it’s Argostoli as we’ve not been there before and it looks like a nice place to walk round.
As suggested I may contact P&O or ask our TA to check for us.

They've spent a lot of money at Kephalonia and have built a new berthing area some distance up the road from the town where you used to get berthed or moored in the bay.    It's thus a "reasonable" walk from the ship to the town.  There was no shuttle service for that last we went.    It's one of those distances where it's too short to shuttle bus people about and yet very significant for those who are infirm or for whom walking is a real effort.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

They've spent a lot of money at Kephalonia and have built a new berthing area some distance up the road from the town where you used to get berthed or moored in the bay.    It's thus a "reasonable" walk from the ship to the town.  There was no shuttle service for that last we went.    It's one of those distances where it's too short to shuttle bus people about and yet very significant for those who are infirm or for whom walking is a real effort.  

Thanks for the information.

Out of interest, when did you last go and was it with P&O ?

Fortunately at the moment walking for us is no problem but of course that could change in the future as unfortunately we are all getting older. 😊

Further help for P-L-B

Below is the satellite map/view of Argostoli.  I have marked three things on it.  The brand new (actually a couple of years or more old now) cruise berth is at the top at the end of a long walkway in the bay.    Below it is the old berthing area that some of us will remember using and below that the line of restaurants and tavernas on the waterside where you frequently see turtles in the water.   It used to be a short walk down to the shops and tavernas from that old berth as you can see, but now from the new cruise berth it's a much longer walk.   People who don't realise this invariably don't walk far enough and think there's not much at Cephalonia.

Cephalonia.png

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

I can confirm from info I got from the official port authority that the ship will be in Argostoli. If you visit in April you will be docked in the port or if you visit in July you will be anchored.

Thank you for that confirmation.

Yes, we will be there on 28th of April to be precise.

Edited by P-L-B

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

So that might mean you are better of anchored, as the tender will go straight into the town?

Thanks Jean but it looks like we will be docked as we will be there on the 28th April.

7 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Further help for P-L-B

Below is the satellite map/view of Argostoli.  I have marked three things on it.  The brand new (actually a couple of years or more old now) cruise berth is at the top at the end of a long walkway in the bay.    Below it is the old berthing area that some of us will remember using and below that the line of restaurants and tavernas on the waterside where you frequently see turtles in the water.   It used to be a short walk down to the shops and tavernas from that old berth as you can see, but now from the new cruise berth it's a much longer walk.   People who don't realise this invariably don't walk far enough and think there's not much at Cephalonia.

Cephalonia.png

Thank you for the useful information.

Yes, I see what you mean about the extra walking distance.

My initial research refers to the turtles and I hope to be able to see them when we visit.

28 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Thank you for the useful information.

Yes, I see what you mean about the extra walking distance.

My initial research refers to the turtles and I hope to be able to see them when we visit.

Just done a quick walking route from Cruise berth to Tavernas. It’s about 1.2 Km mostly flat and should take about 15 minutes according to Google Maps so not to bad.

Edited by P-L-B

Nice! You are on the 28th of April. You can consider visiting the caves cause this is the best period for someone to go there. April is low season and they are not very crowded. Walking from the cruise pier to the center of the town is approximately 10 minutes. A nice walk in my opinion cause they rebuilt all the waterfront area last year and now it's very nice for a stroll. April is a little early for turtles but if the weather is good you are difinately gonna see some near the fishing boats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Nice! You are on the 28th of April. You can consider visiting the caves cause this is the best period for someone to go there. April is low season and they are not very crowded. Walking from the cruise pier to the center of the town is approximately 10 minutes. A nice walk in my opinion cause they rebuilt all the waterfront area last year and now it's very nice for a stroll. April is a little early for turtles but if the weather is good you are difinately gonna see some near the fishing boats.

Thank you for the very helpful information.

We are very much looking forward to our visit in April.