Star princess Southbound or Royal Princess Northbound?

RedE2Go64

After abandoning the idea of RT from Seattle, Ive refocused my attention on one ways using Vancouver as a port.  Main reason is because I like the idea of being inside passage the whole time, instead of out on the ocean. Also like the idea of going further up into Alaska. Hopefully this will mean we have more scenery too.

What are the positives/negatives in traveling either northbound or southbound? This is for July 31, 2021. 

Star Princess...Anchorage 8:30   (SOUTHBOUND)

Hubbard Glacier   3 - 8pm

Glacier Bay     9:15 - 7:30p

Skagway         7:00 - 8:30p

Juneau (tendering) 6:30 - 4:00p

Ketchikan                  10:00 - 6:00p

At sea        (I believe this would be traveling on the inside of the passage, not actually our at sea?)

Vancouver        7:30 am

Royal Princess...Vancouver 4:30p   (NORTHBOUND)

At sea   (I believe it goes on the West side of Vancouver ?)

Ketchikan    6:30 - 3:00p

Juneau         8:00 - 9:00p

Skagway      7:00 - 8:30p

Glacier Bay  6:00 - 3:00p

College Fjord   6:00 pm - 8:30 pm

Anchorage  12:30 am

I appreciate any insight and help I can get. I've never been to Alaska but you all have been so helpful to even get me to THIS point, and I thank you!

Given your expressed criteria for the decision OP, of using Inside Passage the whole time, you must book the Star - Royal does not go inside Vancouver Island (Princess have at least admitted that in advance this year - if you check their maps you'll see an extra line that goes from Vancouver out and around marked for the Royal, where all other North/South one-ways sail Inside). I cannot imagine a circumstance when Royal will be allowed to transit the Narrows, so you can expect this to remain the case for 2021 and all future Alaska cruise seasons.

The things most folks say about north vs south are either: that south is better because you do your active land part first, then chillax on the ship and have more flight options from Vancouver than Anchorage; or that north is better because the anticipation builds as you slowly approach Alaska on water, watching the scenery get 'more Alaskan.'

Those points are both very subjective! The actually-practical differences would only apply start or end of the season (is Denali fully open yet if early, or has snow shut it down yet if late) - as long as you stick to a July/August cruise these won't come into play.

• Like 1

Star.  Southbound is a great itinerary and the timeline for flights are good for a day-before trip into Anchorage and nice transit to port the day of the cruise, vs Anchorage departure flights which often are late night.  We prefer Hubbard Glacier over College Fjord as it’s HUGE and a very different experience from Glacier Bay, and love the last day of scenic cruising through the true Inside Passage with some fine “close” views of many small islands.  While we enjoy Royal-class ships, the Star has decent Promenade deck and other public viewing and would be our ship preference for this scenic cruise.

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1

Star Princess Southbound would be my choice and for the same reasons that other posters have mentioned.  Royal Princess is a lovely ship, but the easy to get to outside viewing areas on the ship are not as plentiful as on Star Princess or Coral Princess.  And, on an Alaskan cruise, one ought to be outside and not playing bingo inside!  (My opinion, of course.)

Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are two "win-wins" I think.  That's why I chose a Coral Princess Southbound sailing in 2019.