Why NCL has lost me...Unfortunately

Ms BumbleBee

We used to cruise a lot, mostly with RCCL but a couple of years ago we took our son on a cruise and NCL fit destination and ship activities.  Is it perfect?  No but it worked.  Last year we were going to Cuba and then the trip was cancelled a few weeks before.  Fast forward and we are on a cruise to Alaska and right at payment time there was a drop in price and we could move to Concierge and with 3 people that extra room sounded wonderful.

Well since the perks changed we lost our free air because the new perks did not include it.  The upgrade cost us because I had to pay for my own flights but since we are flying across the coast I was okay with eating the cost since then I could control the times etc.  Annoying but I was okay.

I have been trying to book entertainment and dining - nothing will work on the website.  I call CSR they tell me to contact Concierge.  Okay I call concierge and they say they book but there is no confirmation they send it to the onboard Concierge.  Weird but okay.

Yesterday there is another price drop and I can get into a bigger cabin and that would be great.  I call to try and upgrade - they offer me a $65 OBC one time and then say if I try and pay for an upgrade I lose yet more perks.  The new perks are less than the last set.  The bidding minimum is DOUBLE that of what the price would be to lose perks so that makes no sense.  It is higher than the bidding minimum for the Haven.  They tell me since there is a ton of availability that my best bet is to call Concierge.  She said she thinks the bidding has a glitch it looks like to her and the supervisor it should be $100 (no clue how they know or if it was a guess)  They tell me Concierge is for these exact situations.

So at 9 am I call Concierge, as I suspected UNFORTUNATELY they cannot assist on the cabin upgrade, nor can they UNFORTUNATELY tell me why the minimum is so inflated and UNFORTUNATELY the dining reservations and entertainment are not showing up so my best bet is to check in when I get on the ship.

So they took my air perks which was unfortunate

They want to take more perks to upgrade (not asking for a freebie) which was unfortunate

I cannot bid as the minimum is ridiculous so I could keep my perks which is unfortunate

And now UNFORTUNATELY no on can tell me or help me with setting up dining or entertainment (again the website will not allow me to book) despite paying for a service to do this for me.

Not serious first world problems but at the same time it is a bit frustrating - mostly the fact I have no clue if my dining or entertainment is set up.  And yes I can fix it when I get on the ship but I don't want to have to worry about that, I just want to get the service I paid for but instead I get UNFORTUNATELY.  UNFORTUNATELY I cannot get my money back to do something else where at minimum I can get the services that are agreed upon.

I cancelled my 2021 cruise and will book a land based vacation instead.  I am going to enjoy my cruise and my room and book my own dining and entertainment while on the ship.  I am not going to expect anything more from NCL including further vacations.  Again, while the upgrading and perks are annoying those are not the deal breakers for me - it is that I cannot get basic services nor can I get anyone to care.

I paid in full.  Move along.

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My advice is to not get so caught up in the upgrade/upsell/better promos game. Book what you want, when you want, for the price that you are happy with and relax until your cruise.

Did you even read that the issue is I cannot BOOK dining and entertainment and that the Concierge is unable to help.  The rest of that is just noise.  Annoying but noise.

My issue is that even the activities I paid for cannot be done.

6 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

Did you even read that the issue is I cannot BOOK dining and entertainment and that the Concierge is unable to help.  The rest of that is just noise.  Annoying but noise.

My issue is that even the activities I paid for cannot be done.

Since you're contacting the concierge, I assume you're in a Concierge Suite? If so have your list of preferred times ready to hand to the concierge when you board. Problem solved.

It's very possible at 80 days out that the pre-slots are all filled. They only book about 25% in advance so you should have no issues booking when onboard.

• Like 3

The window for booking online opened at 130/120 days. Only a percentage of dining reservations (roughly 30%) are available before embarkation day. The rest open on embarkation day. You might have missed the "early" reservations but you have plenty of available reservations on embarkation day. That's when the concierge will take care of everything. I understand that you want to secure everything before boarding (I do the same) but if your window has closed, you might have to wait. The online system is wonky at best.

If you can't do it yourself, make a list with atlernates and give it to the concierge as soon as you board.

1 minute ago, KSSS2013 said:

Since you're contacting the concierge, I assume you're in a Concierge Suite? If so have your list of preferred times ready to hand to the concierge when you board. Problem solved.

It's very possible at 80 days out that the pre-slots are all filled. They only book about 25% in advance so you should have no issues booking when onboard.

I started at 120 days when they sent me the email.  And yes I am in a Concierge room.  I am unable to book anything online including free dining or entertainment.  They confirmed that there is availability but I am unable to book and no one can figure out why.  Why I contacted Concierge as was directed by the CSR.  They said they made the reservation and put it “in the computer” but when I called again (as directed by CSR) I confirmed that they were “in the computer” and was told there was no notes from the call and to just handle it onboard.

And you are right when I go on I can - but the fact is I did not want to nor should I have to.  And all I am doing is following their directions

Just now, Ms BumbleBee said:

And you are right when I go on I can - but the fact is I did not want to nor should I have to.  And all I am doing is following their directions

Well then there's nothing that we can do here for you. Try to enjoy your cruise.

The pre-concierge "service"  is well known for being useless.  Someone in NCL's land offices pretty much doesn't really care about (and in many cases know about) things going on on the ship.  The best thing to do, like others have said, is have a list of your needs and give it to the onboard concierge who knows how to do their job, knows how the ship works, and in almost all cases does an excellent job. 

The other things you are complaining about are not really NCL's fault.  You chose to change your booking and therefore had to deal with whatever perks were being offered at that time.  You are after final payment.  That means if you want a room change, there is a penalty to rebook unless you are paying for an upgrade.  A room change will also, once again mean you have to deal with current perks.  NCL's policy is they will give a one time courtesy OBC after final payment of 25% of whatever the room rate has decreased to.  They don't even have to do that since final payment is final.  I do think you should call NCL again and try to pay for an upgrade without a change in perks, since this is not a rebook, and NCL is notorious for giving different answers depending on who you speak with.  They were wrong to pass the buck to the concierge since concierge has nothing at all to do with booking and payments, etc.  

And pretty much anyone at NCL who gives you info regarding the upgrade bidding is probably talking out their …   The bidding program is handled by a totally different company and NCL has nothing to do with it and usually has no insight into the program.  It is not at all unusual for starting bids to be above what it would cost to just upgrade.  

I do hear your frustration and am not at all making excuses for NCL, as their customer service does often suck.  But some of this is frustration your are choosing to make yourself go through since you booked a room, are past final payment, and are getting upset that NCL won't change their policy for you.

I read a thread on here once that described similar issues with on line bookings.  Someone posted that the OP clear out the cashe on the computer as well as trying a different engine...ie using Explorer over Chrome or vise versa.  THe OP with all the trouble followed up by letting the thread know that after clearing out the cashe and trying a different engine, they were able to make reservations.  I looked for the thread to post but couldn't find it.

We used to sail with NCL, but they have gone way down hill.  Ever since the current management took over quality fell and prices went through the roof.  The food in the MDR is close to inedible.  Royal and Carnival are far better lines overall.  The nickel-and-diming on NCL has gotten out of control.  We will likely never give them another try after several sub-par cruises.