Any tips for Vegans?

Jabba20000

We are headed on the Breakaway this Saturday with our college aged vegan daughter. Hoping for any tips or advice for anyone that has traveled with a vegan. I’ve already made a note in the reservation and we plan to go talk to them as soon as we board but is there anything else we should do and what was your experience.

thanks

Track down the Maitre D or asst Maitre D.

My wife is vegetarian and has many many food alergies.

The asst Maitre D sat with us and she went over all the options and designed dinners based on her allergies and preferences.

We just got back from the Bahamas on the Bliss

MDR is fine.  I'm veg, not vegan, but many of the veg options are vegan. At the buffet, for lunch I love the Indian section - it's usually some of the better tasting food on the ship and a good place for beans and veggies. They make a veggie burger too if you ask. I *think* it is vegan. And always plenty of salad.

The specialty restaurants are lacking. The steakhouse will make tofu if you request in advance but I usually just eat the sides. The bistro has one fine veg option but it has cheese. The hibachi cooks everything together, so while they have plenty of veggies, I can't watch it being cooked on the meat covered grill. O'sheahans has nothing o can think of and will usually act annoyed if you request a veggie burger.

Hi! I have been a vegan for almost 4 years and go on as many cruises as I can. I have cruised with NCL, Disney, and RC. NCL is AWESOME with vegan options. 

Tips - 

1. Embarkation day have your daughter go to the main dining room and ask to speak to the Maitre D or asst Maitre D. If you are planning on eating in the MDR, NCL has a separate vegan menu that she can select her dinner options. If the rush of embarkation day is too much, simply do it at dinner; but she runs the risk of not being able to order from the special vegan menu until the next day (they let me, but I think it was an exception to the rule). 

2. Upon sitting down in any dining space, the wait staff will always ask "Is there any dietary restrictions?" I found the staff on NCL Breakaway and NCL Escape well trained in knowing options for vegans. 

3. Buffet - ton of options. If she has a question, just ask. The staff is amazing showing what is vegan. In fact on the Breakaway I asked one staff member behind the line a question on how something was prepared on a busy lunch rush. He pulled me to the front of the line in the front part of the buffet. And was showing me all these awesome salads and hummus options for me. 

4. Specialty restaurants are a little hard. But they will go above and beyond. NO Vegan Options at Le Bistro (its French - butter, cream, cheese). This is my husband and daughters fav specialty =  but never a problem. I always just eat a big lunch and grab something at the buffet either before or after dinner. 

No one on NCL has ever made me feel like I am a problem or issue. I never go hungry and I feel that NCL has only gotten better over the years. 

If you are traveling to Mr. Sanchos (Cozumel) or Maya Chan (Costa Maya) (beach clubs) both have vegan menus. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

I mean this very nicely as a 25 year vegan: it’s a vacation.  Being vegan is a preference, not a food allergy. Nobody is going to die due to cross contamination. Your daughter should do her level best to be true to her food preference, but let’s not forget that that’s what it is. A teenager learning to roll with the punches is not a bad thing. 
I have eaten plenty of peanut butter sandwiches thru my years of traveling. And there is no law saying she can’t lighten up and have a slice of pizza every once in a while with no comment from anyone else. 
Let me say this with complete certainty, being a vegan and a foodie do not go hand in hand  😂. Best wishes for an amazing cruise with your daughter. I’m sure you’ll all have a wonderful time. 

As a vegetarian for seventeen years I never expect anyone to cater to me ... whether it is on vacation or being invited to a family / friend's house ... and I do realize as some other posters pointed out ... it is a preference ... not a life or death situation ... NCL is very accommodating to people with lifestyle choices. The speciality restaurants can be tough, however. Ask to speak to the person in charge of "special diets" as soon as you board ... NCL will do their best to accommodate ... Unfortunately at this time NCL does not have a special vegan menu ...Royal Caribbean just introduced their vegan menu which changes nightly ... hopefully NCL will follow suit very soon. Every evening you will receive the next day's menu ... If a menu item can be modified it will be.

• Like 1