Can Someone Explain The Specialty Dining Package

Ronaldo807

I've cruised NCL three previous times, but not for several years and not with a dining package. I'm used to how specialty dining works on Royal Caribbean. With our upcoming cruise, we received a 3 night specialty dining package. We looked over the menu's and I see that everything has an a la carte price and some items have extra charges. I understand the concept of the extra charge, but what are we entitled to at no additional cost with our package?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

I've cruised NCL three previous times, but not for several years and not with a dining package. I'm used to how specialty dining works on Royal Caribbean. With our upcoming cruise, we received a 3 night specialty dining package. We looked over the menu's and I see that everything has an a la carte price and some items have extra charges. I understand the concept of the extra charge, but what are we entitled to at no additional cost with our package?

At a la carte restaurants, you are limited to one entree, but entitled to as many apps, sides, and desserts as you want. Staff at the restaurant might try to tell you you can only have one of each, but the actual terms & conditions only limit the number of entrees.

• Like 1

I was just on the Bliss. We were told--without asking--at Cagney's (and one other place, I think Ocean Blue) that we could select 1 appetizer, 1 starter (soup OR salad), 1 entree, 1 dessert (and at Cagney's multiple sides). I had brought the T&C on the cruise but frankly did not want to argue or eat more than that anyway. My point is, it depends on the ship/restaurant and probably the server. And whether you want to deal with the situation of getting more.

Edited by Greenpea2

i had this same questions since, it says ala carte pricing, i was thinking you pay the surcharge to go then get charged per item.  

so to be clear you pay one fee and you get at least 1 of each course included with some items being an up charge?

On the Escape last week, we ate using the dining package in La Cucina. Before ordering, I asked the server what we could order. Her answer? Whatever you want, as much as you want. Ok then. She was quite charming, brought us extra pasta side, and 2 additional desserts that we “had” to try.  So, I guess it does depend on the server.

It depends on the restaurant.  We just had the package and went to Tepanyaki and Moderno which are both a set price anyways and you eat all you want.

We went to Bayamo for our 3rd and were told it included a starter, entree, 2 sides(even if you don't order something that comes with sides) and dessert.

I did an 11 day breakaway with an 11 SDP, and at every single a la carte restaurant the waitperson started by asking if I was using SDP and then explaining the limits.  Since it is normally more than enough food I only strayed once when I wanted to try two of the deserts because I wasn't sure I would like one. The waitperson gave me a hard time for it, but I didn't get charged (even after saying he could charge me since I was mostly sure he wouldn't).  I've had this happen on other cruises as well, I would just stick to ordering what you want in the restaurant, and if they charge you for anything other than an extra entree take it up with guest services.

47 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i had this same questions since, it says ala carte pricing, i was thinking you pay the surcharge to go then get charged per item.  

so to be clear you pay one fee and you get at least 1 of each course included with some items being an up charge?

ala carte was introduced so that people travelling with others, who have the SDP, could go with them.... or maybe you're just not hungry enough to waste a full "credit" so you pay ala carte. 

Entrees are the only thing limited to 1.  At Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi, an SDP meal includes 4 menu items.

Some menu items at a Specialty Restaurant may include an upcharge but it's clearly marked. 

Edited by esm54687

44 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

No, you don't pay a surcharge to go. If you don't have a dining package, you just pay the a la carte pricing on the menu. If you have a dining package, you use one of your credits to get unlimited apps, sides, and desserts and one entree. Some items on some menus are an upcharge, even if using a dining package (lobster, tiger shrimp, etc.) and it will explicitly state such on the menu.

• Like 1

My Wife and I were on the Bliss feb23 to mar1. At La Cucina the server told us we did not order enough when we wanted to share an appetizer.  The 1 order of Calamari was plenty for both of us.  We ate at   La Cucina twice as we could not  not get into Cagneys or Ocean blue. We tried to book both about 2 months in advance and both were full, we also tried again our first day on board with no luck. We had plenty of other choices on board and left every meal full

No big loss, we had steak in port canerval and lobster at home last night Lol.