Retreat on Edge

molemaui

With all nervous activity afoot, it seems strange to write about an almost perfect cruising experience. We sailed the Edge 2/23 and booked a Sky Suite. I've made no secret of my preference for smaller ships (less than 1000 is nice and Oceania's 1350 was also nice) but have to say this last cruise may somewhat change my direction for future cruising. 

I equate the Retreat Class on the Edge to living in the suburbs but having the advantages and conveniences of the city just down the road. When you want a show, bar or anything else, you drive down the road if you're in the suburbs or simply get in an elevator if on the Edge. To relate to the Edge, the Retreat pool deck and lounge were superb and I was blown away by Luninea. I enjoyed the size of the dining room, the excellence of service but most of all, the food was spectacular. Up until now, my best food cruises were (1) Oceania, (2) Silversea  and (3) Windstar. I can say with total certainty, what we experienced on Celebrity at Luninea is worthy of these comparisons.

One overriding factor contributing to our enjoyment was total lack of crowded conditions in the retreat section. When I did my daily walks on the track around the ship, the main pool often looked like what I remember of Mexico during my college spring breaks. Crowds and lots of people. Still, it was possible to enjoy this great ship pretty much in it's entirety. 

Despite my euphoria from this last cruise, I like everyone else am taking a step or two back before booking more cruises. This like all things will pass, I'm sure.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. We're on her for the first time in two weeks. We've read mixed reviews on Luminae compared to other ships so we'll be finding out first hand.

Daniel was our waiter and was quite a bit better than outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

Thank you for your thoughts.

We are in a Sky Suite in a few weeks.  First time on Edge, first time in Sky Suite.  

The thought of cancelling crosses our minds, but so far we're still going.

15 hours ago, AZFirsttime42 said:

Thanks for sharing. We are scheduled for our first trip on Edge 4/5. Trying to decide if we are going or not. 

We are also in a Sky Suite. 

We are on the same cruise also in a Sky Suite. First time for both. Have you joined the roll call?

Molemaui,

What time did you arrive at the port?  Were you able to drop your luggage off with the suite porters, in a special area, or the general area?

What time did Luminae open for lunch that first day?

20 hours ago, molemaui said:

With all nervous activity afoot, it seems strange to write about an almost perfect cruising experience. We sailed the Edge 2/23 and booked a Sky Suite.

Thank you soooo much for posting.  😎

Molemaui,
What time did you arrive at the port?  Were you able to drop your luggage off with the suite porters, in a special area, or the general area?

What time did Luminae open for lunch that first day?

We arrived at 11:10. Our taxi couldn’t stop at the priority drop off area because of traffic so we were dropped off about 150 ft further. Absolutely no big deal. Check in was wonderful-no lines or counters. They came to us with a hand held device and checked us quickly.

We were allowed to drop hand luggage off in cabin even though it wasn’t ready yet. We had lunch in Luminae around 12:30-1:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Thanks 1