Silver Cloud Tristan de Cunha update

FlyingScotSailors

After three great days of landings at South Georgia, we skipped the final half day so we could get an early start and stay ahead of the weather to Tristan de Cunha. 

Today we were informed that we have been denied landing by the Island government, due to concerns about Covid-19 and other diseases. We will be allowed to circumnavigate Tristan on the Cloud, and do zodiac tours (weather permitting) of Gough, Nightingale,  AND  INACCESSIBLE Islands. We are apparently the first Silversea ship to be allowed to go to Inaccessible. 

ps: Hi Fletcher 😉

So very sorry to hear. It is a place that is so hard to get to and even when you arrive. The winds could keep you from landing. This virus is impacting the sick and non sick. A dirty shame.

See below of what you missed: (the little house is for potatoes, most everyone has them)

CF2_5410.jpg

CF2_5419.jpg

CF2_5425.jpg

CF2_5446.jpg

CF2_5455.jpg

CF2_5456.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Today we were informed that we have been denied landing by the Island government, due to concerns about Covid-19 and other diseases.

Considering how long you've already been sailing, I can only imagine the disappointment everyone must be feeling on board.  Are any passengers exhibiting Covid-19 symptoms?  Is the reason denying landing because the 14-day incubation period hasn't passed since your departure from USH?

10 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Today we were informed that we have been denied landing by the Island government, due to concerns about Covid-19 and other diseases. We will be allowed to circumnavigate Tristan on the Cloud, and do zodiac tours (weather permitting) of Gough, Nightingale,  AND  INACCESSIBLE Islands. We are apparently the first Silversea ship to be allowed to go to Inaccessible. 

ps: Hi Fletcher 😉

I was so sorry to read your update as the Cloud approaches Tristan da Cunha.  This must be such a crushing disappointment for everyone on board.

I must say I’m not surprised, even though the Cloud is obviously ‘clean’ having spent the last three months in Antarctica.  But small island communities are probably feeling especially vulnerable - most Pacific nations have now closed their ports to cruise ships.   It reminds me of the time when Europeans first went out to the Pacific bringing their diseases with them and wiping out entire populations.  Being isolated down there in the South Atlantic without an airport I do think TdC will be immune.  

Looking on the bright side, if the weather is kind, you do have close-up views of Inaccessible and Gough to look forward to.  Stay in touch and we will try and stay healthy, though as each day passes it's looking quite apocalyptic. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

If the weather is kind you might be able to land on uninhabited Nightingale Island - the landing spot is tricky and there's a steepish climb but hundreds of rockhopper penguins will be glad to meet you all. 

Thank you all for your comments and concerns. Apparently, many of the older residents of Tristan remember when a cruise ship brought whooping cough to the Island, and barricade themselves at home whenever a ship visits. The landing ban was based on general worries,  not just Covid-19. A Ponant ship a day before us was also denied landing. Whether the penguins would have been worried or glad to see us, we were not given permission for any landings. 

We did morning and afternoon zodiac cruises Wednesday at Gough Island,  and morning zodiac at Nightingale and afternoon at Inaccessible. This morning was too rough for the planned zodiacs, so we started with a Cloud circumnavigation of Tristan. We are anchoring now,  and will try to zodiac in an hour. 

After that,  we sail for Cape Town,  and plan to arrive a day early. We will spend two nights at the dock, and disembark as scheduled on Friday (at least as last we heard).  The cruise on Friday from Cape Town has been canceled. We are scheduled to fly to the US through Heathrow,  so again,  so far so good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We did morning and afternoon zodiac cruises Wednesday at Gough Island,  and morning zodiac at Nightingale and afternoon at Inaccessible. This morning was too rough for the planned zodiacs, so we started with a Cloud circumnavigation of Tristan. We are anchoring now,  and will try to zodiac in an hour. 

Thanks for the update!  It seems your captain has made every effort to give you all the best possible Tristan experience given the trying circumstances. I hope you managed to either touch land with a foot or a hand during one of the zodiac rides.  That way you can legitimately claim to have 'been' to Tristan da Cunha.

I do remember from my own visit - we spent three days at Tristan, some passengers staying overnight with locals - that some islanders chose to self-isolate. 

I wonder where the Cloud will go to next . . . maybe they are just hoping for a slow run up north for the Svalbard season as the Med looks like a no-go area for several months.

Edited by Fletcher

2 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We are scheduled to fly to the US through Heathrow

Smart move.  Was helping a fellow passenger on your voyage avoid Paris for return flight to U.S.

Really glad you all are arriving early so that those who wish to disembark early can do so.

33 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I wonder where the Cloud will go to next . . .

Straight to dry dock in Setúbal, Portugal I believe.  Assume the work will be performed at the Lisnave Estaleiros Navais shipyard.  This will give them extra time to get all the work done before resuming operations from Lisbon to London.

Edited by Stumblefoot

On 3/13/2020 at 4:05 PM, Fletcher said:

Thanks for the update!  It seems your captain has made every effort to give you all the best possible Tristan experience given the trying circumstances. I hope you managed to either touch land with a foot or a hand during one of the zodiac rides.  That way you can legitimately claim to have 'been' to Tristan da Cunha. 

Fletcher, I shared your comment with Captain Eric and expedition leader Schaulk, and told them they were being recognized worldwide!

The zodiacs did not get that close to shore,  but after sailing 5,000 miles on this cruise, we have legitimately been there. We booked this cruise for South Georgia,  and Tristan is a side benefit,  for bragging rights with the perhaps one person we may know who has heard of Tristan de Cunha. 

On 3/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Smart move.  Was helping a fellow passenger on your voyage avoid Paris for return flight to U.S.

Is that Wes? We know he was flying through Paris. 

• Like 3

That is my claim Fletcher but it was a force 12 gale that stopped us landing at Tristan.

We did do a zodiac ride at Gough and our driver managed accidentally to put the zodiac on the rocks so I touched a couple so now claim to have landed on the territory of Tristan Da Cunha.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

That is my claim Fletcher but it was a force 12 gale that stopped us landing at Tristan.

We did do a zodiac ride at Gough and our driver managed accidentally to put the zodiac on the rocks so I touched a couple so now claim to have landed on the territory of Tristan Da Cunha.

Yes, I remember you writing about that = and with some great Gough photos as well.  If you are serious about 'collecting' countries and territories you do need to touch land.