Jump to content

Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19


Recommended Posts

Mentioned on the other Summit COVID thread,  but a second passenger confirmed from the Feb 29/March 01 sailing (dates are a bit inconsistent) Summit has tested positive.  Quote from:
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/fifth-and-sixth-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-waterloo-region-1.4852806


"The cruise returned to Fort Lauderdale on March 6.   Public Health is asking any other passengers to monitor symptoms for 14 days."

Edited by hvbaskey
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Has Celebrity given the passengers on board a heads-up about the Corona Virus positive passengers that disembarked? 

 

Isn't a Covid-19 positive person from a previous cruise the exact situation that caused the quarantines on both the Diamond and the Grand?    Free drinks are great, but social distancing works best, whether I felt sick or not, I might stay in my stateroom until I could get off the ship.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently ON the Summit and yes, we were denied to disembark in San Juan today. However, it is NOT confirmed that the last sailing was responsible for the Waterloo pt testing positive. She was on two airplanes, two airports twice....why is everyone automatically bashing the cruise line. Could she really be a single isolated case of a few thousand people onboard between crew and guests?? The cruise industry is in enough peril and this isn’t right. Celebrity is giving us 50% of our cruise fare back and a future discount of 50%. I think that’s more than fair. Along with free drink and wifi for two days. I have spoken to senior crew members who have said the info being reported is false or fake news. 😀

Edited by drega99
Adding that the Summit didn’t have a sailing on March 1, 2020.
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drega99 said:

I am currently ON the Summit and yes, we were denied to disembark in San Juan today. However, it is NOT confirmed that the last sailing was responsible for the Waterloo pt testing positive. She was on two airplanes, two airports twice....why is everyone automatically bashing the cruise line. Could she really be a single isolated case of a few thousand people onboard between crew and guests?? The cruise industry is in enough peril and this isn’t right. Celebrity is giving us 50% of our cruise fare back and a future discount of 50%. I think that’s more than fair. Along with free drink and wifi for two days. I have spoken to senior crew members who have said the info being reported is false or fake news. 😀

 

We have TWO cases that have been reported now, both of whom were on the Summit and who are apparently not related to each other. When Grand Princess was held off shore it was because multiple cases were being identified of passengers who had been on the prior sailing who were not related. The proper procedure now would be to identify anyone currently onboard (passenger or crew) who is displaying cold symptoms and to have everyone onboard have their temperature taken to see if anyone has fever. People should also be confined to their cabins until that's completed and stay there until debarking if indeed people are identified to have either cold symptoms or fever. But of course that's not what will probably happen and we'll have people released off this ship who likely have it but don't know it yet and unknowingly spread it all over airports, airplanes, cabs, hotels and their hometowns. How many times do we have to keep going through this cycle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, drega99 said:

I am currently ON the Summit and yes, we were denied to disembark in San Juan today. However, it is NOT confirmed that the last sailing was responsible for the Waterloo pt testing positive. She was on two airplanes, two airports twice....why is everyone automatically bashing the cruise line. Could she really be a single isolated case of a few thousand people onboard between crew and guests?? The cruise industry is in enough peril and this isn’t right. Celebrity is giving us 50% of our cruise fare back and a future discount of 50%. I think that’s more than fair. Along with free drink and wifi for two days. I have spoken to senior crew members who have said the info being reported is false or fake news. 😀

No one said the Summit “was responsible” . She could have contracted the virus on an island, or in San Juan. But it is confirmed she was on the Summit, and she is currently infected. The worry is others could be as well, because it’s not being reported. And yes, they should be listing the airline as well. For crew members to be telling you it’s “ fake news” is very irresponsible on their part. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on this ship, now sailing on to Ft Lauderdale for a 3/16 arrival. 
 

This first I’ve heard of a passenger disembarking on 3/7, the day I boarded...,.is now when I logged on to cruise critic, and if true, it is disconcerting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

 

The cruise returned to Fort Lauderdale on March 6.   Public Health is asking any other passengers to monitor symptoms for 14 days.

But if Celebrity is not alerting their passengers, unless they are following the local news - how are they going to know?

 THIS!! I was on Summit 2/29-3/7 and have had received zero notification. I just found this on social media today. I went to work all last week. I am not sick and not overly worried about getting it from the cruise....but notification seems essential at this point!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife & I were on the Summit 2/29 - 3/7 and have both decided to self isolate after experiencing cold like symptoms on 3/11, the same day we heard of the report out of Waterloo that a women who was on our ship tested positive 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Briguy071 said:

My wife & I were on the Summit 2/29 - 3/7 and have both decided to self isolate after experiencing cold like symptoms on 3/11, the same day we heard of the report out of Waterloo that a women who was on our ship tested positive 

That’s the responsible thing to you. Thank you for posting and for following the suggestions of Health Canada. 
I do think it’s interesting that we are not hearing about the airlines as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish there was more transparency.  The passenger directly beside me on the Air Canada flight I was on from Puerto Rico to Toronto coughed through the whole flight.  He was from the Waterloo region.  We aren’t taking any chances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jmbklj said:

 

I’m on this ship, now sailing on to Ft Lauderdale for a 3/16 arrival. 
 

This first I’ve heard of a passenger disembarking on 3/7, the day I boarded...,.is now when I logged on to cruise critic, and if true, it is disconcerting. 

 

 

 

If I were you, I would go to Guest Relations ASAP with a screenshots of the Canadian Government announcement so Celebrity cannot say they Did Not know.

 

Then, if they do not advise the passengers of the risk, that would be negligent and if you have any loss/damages, there is a much better chance that Celebrity will be liable and reimburse you.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just read the CTV Kitchener news story posted on here and there are a TON of false details within the article. The Summit doesn't sail from Lauderdale, the islands listed are incorrect AND the cruise did NOT end on March 6. Clearly, that article is indeed questionable. 

 

And again, why not mention the flights these people were on as sitting for hours in close proximity is far worse than being on a huge ship together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drega99 said:

So I just read the CTV Kitchener news story posted on here and there are a TON of false details within the article. The Summit doesn't sail from Lauderdale, the islands listed are incorrect AND the cruise did NOT end on March 6. Clearly, that article is indeed questionable. 

 

And again, why not mention the flights these people were on as sitting for hours in close proximity is far worse than being on a huge ship together.

 

Forget the news article which may have not have printed the details correctly; refer to the PUBLIC OF HEALTH announcement.

1896075342_ScreenShot2020-03-14at9_23_00PM.thumb.png.61059a4fda7e5b547424038db91fb5c0.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

My wife & I were on the Summit 2/29 - 3/7 and have both decided to self isolate after experiencing cold like symptoms on 3/11, the same day we heard of the report out of Waterloo that a women who was on our ship tested positive 

 

Thank you for being socially responsible and self-isolating - best wishes and good health to you both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drega99 said:

 

So I just read the CTV Kitchener news story posted on here and there are a TON of false details within the article. The Summit doesn't sail from Lauderdale, the islands listed are incorrect AND the cruise did NOT end on March 6. Clearly, that article is indeed questionable. 

 

And again, why not mention the flights these people were on as sitting for hours in close proximity is far worse than being on a huge ship together.

 

 

 

There are two sets of infected passengers reportedly off Celebrity Ships.  Maybe you read the article about the man in his 40's who was symptomatic on a Celebrity Silhouette cruise and disembarked on March 6th in Fort Lauderdale?  There are also reports of a 60 year old woman, diagnosed as positive very shortly after disembarking a Celebrity Summit cruise in Puerto Rico.

 

As I have followed threads and stories about Covid19, no one on these boards is trying to scare anyone, most people are just trying to raise awareness and ensure that factual information remains available so people can take appropriate precautions.

 

And, the Canadian Government has released the Canadian flight number and the exact rows of the passengers that need to take the most precautions. As an American it was not an airline name I recognized.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

 

Forget the news article which may have not have printed the details correctly; refer to the PUBLIC OF HEALTH announcement.

1896075342_ScreenShot2020-03-14at9_23_00PM.thumb.png.61059a4fda7e5b547424038db91fb5c0.png

So this shows one case from the Summit. Why is everyone stating there is 2 now from the Summit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

 

Where is the second Summit case?

 

Found it!   he is the spouse of the first case:
 

"The number of coronavirus continues to grow in Waterloo Region, as public health on Saturday confirmed a sixth case. 

A 57-year-old man tested positive at St. Mary's Hospital, and is currently in self-isolation. The man is  the spouse of the second person who tested positive for COVID-19. The couple travelled on the Celebrity Summit Cruise. "

 

Edited by hvbaskey
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drega99 said:

So this shows one case from the Summit. Why is everyone stating there is 2 now from the Summit?

 

 

One of the Flights is Air Transat Flight 571 on March 6.  Flight passengers in rows 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 were asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

 

I’m not quite sure, they may have not updated this site OR it is a different regional public health board.  

 

I'm rereading that article you posted and the itinerary listed for that "second Summit passenger" matches the itinerary for the Silhouette passenger being discussed in another thread and listed in the chart you posted above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

 

I'm rereading that article you posted and the itinerary listed for that "second Summit passenger" matches the itinerary for the Silhouette passenger being discussed in another thread and listed in the chart you posted above.

 

I edited my last response, local news (I live 45 minutes from Waterloo) is reporting that the second case is the spouse of the first.

Maybe the health board web site will be updated tomorrow or Monday?

Edited by hvbaskey
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • CCHelp changed the title to Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...