BUENOS AIRES (EZE) airport to close for 30 days!

marylovestotravel

7 hours ago, begagirl said:

We're due to fly in to there on 1 April to pick-up Oceania cruise.  Haven't heard anything yet from our airline (Air New Zealand).  Barring a miracle we are going to cancel.

As of right now Australia isn't on the list of barred incoming flights to EZE. This is the only news I could find that mentions it

https://qcostarica.com/coronavirus-in-latin-america-nine-countries-impose-restriction-on-travelers/

Argentina raised its number of infected to 21. It has also reported one death from the covid-19, one of only two in Latin America, the other was Panama. On Wednesday, before the declaration of a global pandemic made by the World Health Organization (WHO).  President Alberto Fernández announced that he was preparing a decree to declare quarantines mandatory, under threat of some kind of penal sanction.

On Thursday, he decreed travel restrictions in two terms: First, he suspended visas for citizens of China, Iran, and South Korea. Later, he announced the suspension of arrivals of flights from Europe, the United States, South Korea, Japan, China and Iran. These measures also entail “mandatory isolation” for 14 days for people who are suspected of being infected with COVID-19.

11 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

I just received an email from Patrick of Buenos Aires Touring that the airport in Buenos Aires will be closed for 30 days. Please make your plans accordingly. Hopefully there is a back-up plan from Oceania!

Mia

You might want to confirm EXACTLY what is happening before posting.   Restricting arrivals from certain countries is different than closing down.  From the link posted above :  "Argentina has announced the suspension of arrivals for one month from countries that are the focus of the pandemic." 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, garycarla said:

You might want to confirm EXACTLY what is happening before posting.   Restricting arrivals from certain countries is different than closing down.  From the link posted above :  "Argentina has announced the suspension of arrivals for one month from countries that are the focus of the pandemic." 

Dear garycarla,

I am sorry if my post was not journalistically rigorous but I was originally booked on a cruise leaving Mar 15 for South America - Lima to Buenos Aires. I was emailing our tour provider in Buenos Aires to inform him that 8 out of our group of 9 had cancelled and he replied immediately saying that EZE was closed for 30 days and there would be no planes coming from Europe, US, China, Japan and Iran. It follows that if the planes can't arrive, they will not be  able to depart.

I wanted to let people know as soon as possible as many are probably on their way or imminently so. The majority of our roll call is from the US, as are you, so I imagine they would be affected.

Mia

10 hours ago, begagirl said:

We're due to fly in to there on 1 April to pick-up Oceania cruise.  Haven't heard anything yet from our airline (Air New Zealand).  Barring a miracle we are going to cancel.

I can't believe how the world has changed in a few short days! On Friday, Oceania offered us cruise credits if we cancelled our cruise which was starting March 15.  We debated this over the weekend, and after pressure from our family (especially our daughter who is a doctor working out of a hospital), we decided to cancel. The situation has rapidly worsened and from reluctantly cancelling, and we have gone to "So glad we did"! 

Even my grandson has been told - no kisses only elbow bumps! We have 2 weeks of spring break coming up and I'm hoping the scenario will improve. I'm personally not hopeful - but then I'm not a card player.

Mia

18 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

I can't believe how the world has changed in a few short days! On Friday, Oceania offered us cruise credits if we cancelled our cruise which was starting March 15.  We debated this over the weekend, and after pressure from our family (especially our daughter who is a doctor working out of a hospital), we decided to cancel. The situation has rapidly worsened and from reluctantly cancelling, and we have gone to "So glad we did"! 

Are you getting a FCC or a refund? If the former, would you have gotten a refund if you had waited till O cancelled the cruise?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Are you getting a FCC or a refund? If the former, would you have gotten a refund if you had waited till O cancelled the cruise?

Just read a post on our roll call from someone onboard the cruise ending Mar 15. The captain has said that Marina will be headed north through the Panama Canal - with only the crew! Think of all the people in Lima awaiting their cruise, or enroute!

I would prefer to get a refund but don't know if it's too late.

The times are just too interesting!

Mia