Upper Beds

rollingjay

We were just upgraded from and inside to an outside cabin on the Emerald Princess but it has the quad upper beds.  Does anyone know how much they stick out from the wall? Are they on both sides of the room?  Do you end up hitting your shoulder or head on them?  Thanks for information.  

If the beds stick out from the walls then they stick out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far for me. I refuse to book any cabin that is listed as being able to take 4 passengers. (Okay, perhaps a balcony cabin as those berths will be recessed into the ceiling.) Any cabin with berths mounted on the walls is not an option for us.

Please note that being "upgraded" to this cabin likely allows you to select another cabin in the same category with no penalty. Check the deck plans for an available cabin that doesn't accommodate 4 guests and ask to be changed to that cabin.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Some cabins have the beds recessed into the ceiling. The only difference in these cabins compared with two-berth cabins, is the placement of ceiling lights and probably an extra couple of safes.

Other cabins have the side-mounted beds. I agree with the other comments that they are not good and that the set-up with twin beds is better than having the bed made as a queen-size.

There are photos of cabins on the internet. Is one available of the cabin that the OP is booked into?

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some cabins have the beds recessed into the ceiling. The only difference in these cabins compared with two-berth cabins, is the placement of ceiling lights and probably an extra couple of safes.

Other cabins have the side-mounted beds. I agree with the other comments that they are not good and that the set-up with twin beds is better than having the bed made as a queen-size.

There are photos of cabins on the internet. Is one available of the cabin that the OP is booked into?

The placement of the upper bunks is class specific.  The Grand class, with the exception of Diamond/Sapphire, have the bunks on the wall.  Coral/Island also have the bunks in the ceiling.  EM

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The placement of the upper bunks is class specific.  The Grand class, with the exception of Diamond/Sapphire, have the bunks on the wall.  Coral/Island also have the bunks in the ceiling.  EM

Not all cabins in the same class of ship, or even on the same ship, have the top beds built the same way. Some ships have a mixture of ceiling-mounted and wall-mounted.

It could be that all the four-berth cabins on the Emerald have the top beds on the wall. I haven't checked them out. 🙂

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps you are referencing the Sun class ships which do have some bunks in the ceiling in OV cabins.  EM

Yes. I was referring to the Sun Class, but simply to respond to the post that said the four-berth cabins were the same, all across a particular class of ship.

6 hours ago, rollingjay said:

We were just upgraded from and inside to an outside cabin on the Emerald Princess but it has the quad upper beds.  Does anyone know how much they stick out from the wall? Are they on both sides of the room?  Do you end up hitting your shoulder or head on them?  Thanks for information.  

By "outside cabin" do you mean oceanview or balcony?

If an oceanview, the bunks stick out as shown in photos above. If this is what you have, contact your TA (or Princess if not using a TA) to see if a cabin in the class but without the extra bunks is available to be moved to at no cost. Your head and shoulders will appreciate this.