****CARNIVAL CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE???

Host Carolyn

* Say Costco... indoor places like say Costco. IDK why but it's not letting me edit ^^ (for a second time, maybe I'm only allowed one or something?) but that typo is *so* annoying, lol.

Edited by oyme

• 2 weeks later...

We are #1 - and not in a good way.  Long Island leads NY state in covid infections.  Supposedly we are at a 10% infection rate for people who have covid for the 2nd time, and 25% for new first-time cases.  And that is only statistics from labs/drs.  They say the rates are really much higher as people are doing home tests and those results are not reported.  This is from Thanksgiving, and they are worried the Christmas rates will be even higher.  Weather has been cold (30-40 degrees) so people are indoors and covid is spreading. Seems like everyone is coughing!  Hospitals are reporting people coming down with multiple strains of covid, flu and respiratory illness all at the same time.   My family got the bivalent booster and flu shot and so far so good.  Stay safe and healthy everyone!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Whatever is going on isn't visible in society. The malls were more packed on Boxing Day than I've seen them in over 10 years of living next door to one. Every seat, every restaurant, every bathroom, just hordes and hordes of people. So if there is an uptick, it doesn't seem to matter to anyone. No masks anywhere, no one gives a damn. I think there's enough herd immunity that at this point it's just a cold, at least in the big population centres. 

Happy New Year to All, and happy cruising to those cruising in '23.  Seems like everyone is sick on Long Island - coughing everywhere.  Have a 40% infection rate going on between covid, flu and rsv- and that is just what is being reported from our local news station. Masks being worn by more in stores.  We are heading out on CCL Spirit in a few weeks, and may be the only ones masking up on the ship - can't afford to bring anything home to dh, who entered his tax season this week.  Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just stopping by to say hi!  I just booked a cruise on the Carnival Venezia (formerly Costa Venezia) for April 2024.  It's been about 5 years since I've been on a Carnival cruise, however this will be my 28th overall.  I've cruised Princess, Celebrity, Royal, Norwegian, Carnival, and Costa before.

My family and I will be travelling together from NH.  There's 4 of us: myself, my parents, and my 10 year old niece.  We have a YouTube channel that chronicles our cruises as well as gives tips.  I started it because I'm an Activity Director by trade for Retirees, some of which cannot travel anymore, so I create virtual cruises for my residents.  I basically do what John Heald does for Carnival on a much smaller scale, so you bet I will be watching his staff like a hawk!

Would love to help any first-time cruisers, just be warned that I may not have the latest information from Carnival specifically (I do keep up with the industry news, but in terms of how Carnival does things verses how other cruise lines do things, I'm still finding that out myself.  I will be on the Venezia in April 2024, shortly after she's had her "mani-pedi" (re-fit), so I'm excited, as....in all my years of cruising....I've NEVER been on an....in essence...brand-new ship!

• Like 2

Just (yesterday) off CCL Spirit.  Had a great 8 day cruise - this was CCL cruise #30 for us. Not one complaint about the ship, and crew was fantastic.  I can also help with any questions anyone may have.

By the end of the cruise there was a lot of coughing/sneezing.  DD and I are fine,  but we wore masks in the airports, in the cruise terminal and anywhere there were masses of people indoors.  We also wore them at debarkation, which was smart as people were coughing up lungs in front and back of us.  Did not wear them outdoors, but made sure to socially distance as much as possible .  

• Like 3

You've probably heard about the shootings at Big University.  If not, you soon will.  The very quick summary:  Angry not-so-young man (who doesn't seem to be connected to the university in any way) got into two buildings on campus and started shooting.  He eventually left campus and took his own life a few miles away.  Three victims dead, five in critical condition.  All campus activities shut down for today and tomorrow.

This is a little too close to home for me, in many ways.  Pray for us all. 🙏

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

You've probably heard about the shootings at Big University.  If not, you soon will.  The very quick summary:  Angry not-so-young man (who doesn't seem to be connected to the university in any way) got into two buildings on campus and started shooting.  He eventually left campus and took his own life a few miles away.  Three victims dead, five in critical condition.  All campus activities shut down for today and tomorrow.

This is a little too close to home for me, in many ways.  Pray for us all. 🙏

Just heard about this on the news.  So sorry this happened (again) in the U.S.  Definitely sending thoughts of healing and prayers to those affected by this senseless tragedy.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

Just heard about this on the news.  So sorry this happened (again) in the U.S.  Definitely sending thoughts of healing and prayers to those affected by this senseless tragedy.  

Thanks.

Here's a quick update for you and the two others who care (besides me, who I'm really doing this for):

• All the dead and injured victims are students
  • The shooter's name was revealed
  • No classes at Big U. until Monday
  • Many schools and school districts in the area have closed today
Edited by Honolulu Blue

Just read the gunman had a note in his pocket threatening 2 NJ schools he had ties to years ago.  Unfortunately there is no indication what "set him off" besides the fact he had previously been arrested and on probation for 18 months (until May 2021) for a loaded, concealed weapon without a permit.  I am sick for the innocents who lost their lives during this incident, and disgusted that these scenarios are happening more and more frequently.

• Like 1

• LauraS unpinned this topic