ALASKA RUBY MAY 23

tbirfblue

1 minute ago, Liz D said:

So, ever since Carnival cancelled all of its Alaska cruises through June 30, I have been waiting for Princess to mirror the announcement.  Since Carnival owns Princess, why wouldn't Princess be canceling too?

Princess still says on their website that they are still evaluating all aspects of the required decision-making.

What on earth is holding them up? 

cash refunds for cancelled cruises - multiple threads ...

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

cash refunds for cancelled cruises - multiple threads ...

But why can't they just admit the cruise will be cancelled and then just give a longer window for the refunding of the cruse payments?  I know I will have to wait a while for the refund, but it would be great to not be in limbo anymore, with the knowledge that I will get my refund...eventually.  I just want them to be straight with us.

• Like 2

An update on Ruby. Over 600 infected passengers in Australia, and 11 deaths here of Ruby passengers. Now taxi drivers that took the passengers from cruise to hotel/home are attending hospital and a couple in ICU. The Ruby is currently moored at Port Kembla because there is an expected 200 crew members infected and several crew are in Hospital and two in ICU. There is a Criminal Investigation just launched. Ruby is being held and Homicide Police are doing the investigation. All this from the cruise that arrived in Sydney on March 18th. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

An update on Ruby. Over 600 infected passengers in Australia, and 11 deaths here of Ruby passengers. Now taxi drivers that took the passengers from cruise to hotel/home are attending hospital and a couple in ICU. The Ruby is currently moored at Port Kembla because there is an expected 200 crew members infected and several crew are in Hospital and two in ICU. There is a Criminal Investigation just launched. Ruby is being held and Homicide Police are doing the investigation. All this from the cruise that arrived in Sydney on March 18th. 

Good gosh, that is terrible.  I wonder if the cruise industry will recover from episodes like that.  With the Coral docked in Miami and pax not able to be taken home, it does not bode well.

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

Good gosh, that is terrible.  I wonder if the cruise industry will recover from episodes like that.  With the Coral docked in Miami and pax not able to be taken home, it does not bode well.

It's a sad time for the cruise industry. Especially in New Zealand and Australia where cruises have contributed overwhelmingly to our Covid occurrence and fatality rates. Coral - everyone's favourite ship I think? In trying to protect their industry by not canceling cruises, they may well have doomed it. At least for some time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It's a sad time for the cruise industry. Especially in New Zealand and Australia where cruises have contributed overwhelmingly to our Covid occurrence and fatality rates. Coral - everyone's favourite ship I think? In trying to protect their industry by not canceling cruises, they may well have doomed it. At least for some time. 

which will happen first ? 

Carnival says - no more cruises to Australia

Australia says - Carnival corp is banned

yeah, right - neither

and the beat goes on

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

which will happen first ? 

Carnival says - no more cruises to Australia

Australia says - Carnival corp is banned

yeah, right - neither

and the beat goes on

Deaths and infections have come from multiple cruiselines. RCL has certainly contributed to three deaths here. Princess is certainly over represented. Currently it would be a blanket halt to all cruises for a time, not just Carnival, if that was the approach decided on. It won't be up to the cruiselines to decide. 

Edited by Pushka

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Deaths and infections have come from multiple cruiselines. RCL has certainly contributed to three deaths here. Princess is certainly over represented. Currently it would be a blanket halt to all cruises for a time, not just Carnival, if that was the approach decided on. It won't be up to the cruiselines to decide. 

yeah, whatever … Australia won't do anything and welcome back with open arms when cruises resume 

38 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There is a Criminal Investigation just launched. Ruby is being held and Homicide Police are doing the investigation. All this from the cruise that arrived in Sydney on March 18th. 

The last part of your message suggests that the Ruby Princess is being held in port due to the initiation and pendency of the criminal investigation.  Is that actually the case?  I read in the Guardian that the RP might remain in port for up to 10 days in order to manage the outbreak.  The article didn't mention the investigation as the reason for the 10-day stay.

Edited by DaveSJ711

10 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The last part of your message suggests that the Ruby Princess is being held in port due to the initiation and pendency of the criminal investigation.  Is that actually the case?  I read in the Guardian that the RB might remain in port for up to 10 days in order to manage the outbreak.  The article didn't mention the investigation as a reason for the 10-day stay.

Yes, you are right, I shouldn't have used the word "held". It isn't. Carnival is however assisting police with enquires and has given full cooperation. 

The Police will be conducting many interviews of the Crew and Officers. That can hardly be done at sea where the virus is endemic. The ship was also moved to port to facilitate sick crew to be moved to Hospital. The ship will not be moving until Police have finalised their enquires.  The ship is not "under House arrest" and Carnival have agreed to release all medical and comms paperwork and cooperate fully. Read into that what you like. 

Edited by Pushka

11 hours ago, Liz D said:

So, ever since Carnival cancelled all of its Alaska cruises through June 30, I have been waiting for Princess to mirror the announcement.  Since Carnival owns Princess, why wouldn't Princess be canceling too?

Princess still says on their website that they are still evaluating all aspects of the required decision-making.

What on earth is holding them up? 

Carnival Cruise Lines, which cancelled their Alaska cruises through June 30, does not own Princess.

Carnival Corporation owns both Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises. Carnival Cruise Lines management does not make decisions for Princess Cruises.

19 minutes ago, caribill said:

Carnival Cruise Lines, which cancelled their Alaska cruises through June 30, does not own Princess.

Carnival Corporation owns both Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises. Carnival Cruise Lines management does not make decisions for Princess Cruises.

I believe that the criminal investigation into Ruby has cited Carnival not Princess. 

43 minutes ago, Pushka said:

14 deaths now from the Ruby Princess cruise ending 18 March, in Australia alone.

Well, its not the fault of the cruiser or the cruise. Someone got sick, got on board and infected the rest. The weak ones died. Stop blaming the cruisers. People are those who spread the diseas. Its like saying that guns are dangerous.. people with guns are dangerous. Unfortunatly people will continue to die because of it if they continue to be selfsih and not isolate themselves for a a few weeks to stop the spreading of the virus. Yes, its my personal opinion. In any case, I hope that the rest is doing just fine. Take care guys 

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

Carnival Cruise Lines or Carnival Corporation or Carnival Australia??

Carnival Australia according to the media. It references just Carnival as well. I haven't seen the actual documents obviously as to who will be investigated. 

22 hours ago, westcoastwannabe said:

But why can't they just admit the cruise will be cancelled and then just give a longer window for the refunding of the cruse payments?  I know I will have to wait a while for the refund, but it would be great to not be in limbo anymore, with the knowledge that I will get my refund...eventually.  I just want them to be straight with us.

I don't believe that Princess has been 'straight with us' from the beginning of all of this, why would they start now?

• Like 1