BBC cruise industry report : QM2 gets a mention

ToadOfToadHall

This is interesting in what it says. Cunard and the QM2 gets a mention at the end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52182509

They raise some interesting points and tax, labour rates and labour laws. That's not just about Cunard, it's about the whole cruise industry in general.

The question they pose about people having short memories might raise some debate.

I am sure the Saudi Royal Family have seen a great opportunity to buy up approx 17 million shares at $8 and now control about 8% of the Carnival Company. Although the article is mainly negative I am sure most of the cruise companies will claw their way back in time. The larger cruise lines do have an advantage as they tend to be able to sell their older ships on whereas a few of the smaller lines perhaps do not have so many options. As the article says cruise ships are now empty, the larger cruise companies have a larger market share so I am sure the people mentioned will have plenty of choice when they are able to cruise again.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I'll leave it open here as it dragged the sticky some way off topic !

Thanks Host Hattie. I suppose the BBC article is no so much about CV per se, more about that it's highlighted to people how the cruise industry operates. 

I found the point about cruises bringing little to the places/ports they stop at very interesting. Thinking about that, I can see that is true. How much do people actually spend when in port ? From my own experience (i.e. what we tend to spend), it's not that much really - maybe the odd pint or a snack (we don't bother to buy souvenirs). So how much have me and Mrs Toad contributed to the various places we have been whilst cruising ? Not much I would say. Which is the total opposite of when we go away and stay in hotel, either in the UK or abroad.  So on a cruise we contribute almost nothing to local economies but in a hotel we contribute an awful lot.

• Like 1